Patellofemoral Syndrome An

General chat from around the world

Moderator: Traffic warden

SkateSkateSkate
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Patellofemoral Syndrome An

Postby SkateSkateSkate » Thu May 27, 2004 11:16 pm

My knee has been bothering me alot lately so I went to the sports doctor thursday weeks ago and she told me that I have a very common problem with 50% of active people, especially women called - Patellofemoral Syndrome. Has anyone else been diagnosed with this and how are you dealing with it? Any exercises or stretches that are helping you deal with the pain and discomfort?

Thanks ;)

*~*Anne*~*

Doug
Old school
Old school

Postby Doug » Thu May 27, 2004 11:32 pm

I find I fix most of my knee problems with a plaster :mrgreen:

Alastair
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Alastair » Fri May 28, 2004 8:20 am

When I had knee problems I went to the osteopath - after about four sessions I was 'fixed' - strange thing (or not so strange, really) was that my knee was not the cause of the problem - I had a locked lower back that was restricting the movement of my legs which in turn affected my knee. Osteopaths are the biz...

GuinnessGirl
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Re: Patellofemoral Syndrome An

Postby GuinnessGirl » Fri May 28, 2004 12:32 pm

SkateSkateSkate wrote:Patellofemoral Syndrome. Has anyone else been diagnosed with this and how are you dealing with it?

I had this-still have it and my advice is REALLY look after your knees...just had my second op to remove the trashed cartilage from behind my kneecap and well after that its removal of my patella :|

The pain is because your kneecap is grinding away and damaging the cartilage...Try to find out if your knees are aligned correctly-mine aren't so grind even more, and I have to really exercise my inner quad/thigh muscles to tighten the inside ligaments and pull my kneecaps central. The best thing is to build up the front of your quads-(straight leg raises) it tightes and stabilizes the knee and reduces movement/grinding

Avoid excercises that involve flexing the knee, particularly past 90 degrees-this puts immense pressure on the kneecap. So clearly avoid kneeling....

Other than that avoid jumping/running sports as it also impacts the knee...swimming, cycling (and of course skating) is all good!

Hope thats helpful......

Mozza :)

JB
New school
New school

Postby JB » Fri May 28, 2004 12:41 pm

I've used Cho-Pat's original knee strap before (when I were a wee lad and playing a *lot* of basketball) https://secure.cho-pat.com/information/ ... l+Syndrome

good stuff. Definitely recommend giving it a go

peter
New school
New school

Postby peter » Fri May 28, 2004 1:14 pm

My son was a swimmer and had this kind of problem. It was misalignment of the knee cap. I took him to a sportts physio who gave him exercise to strengthen his weaker leg muscles, which was causing the misalignment. Two months of doing the exercises and he was cured.

I think all of us who have had some experiences of dodgy knees are telling you that physiotherapy of some kind seems to cure most cases.

SkateSkateSkate
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby SkateSkateSkate » Fri May 28, 2004 1:20 pm

Thanks Mozza., that was helpful!

My knee caps appear to be out of alignment and the doctor did say to do some straight leg raises to strengthen the quads like you said. She also said that my hamstrings were too tight.

She also said about avoiding the 90 degree thing as well. I dont have any pain when kneeling suprisingly but i'll try to avoid that from now on.

thanks again :)

*~*Anne*~*

SkateSkateSkate
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby SkateSkateSkate » Fri May 28, 2004 1:23 pm

Thanks JB, I'll look into that :)

Peter - thanks that gives me hope that its curable!

Alastair -- thats very interesting

My doctor just told me to do some leg lifts to strengthen my quads. I gues she doesn't think my case is bad enough to send me to physical thereapy.

*~*Anne*~*

Doug
Old school
Old school

Postby Doug » Fri May 28, 2004 1:26 pm

6 weeks of manipulation from an Irish traveller....FREE!!
he's a friend & so we tend to pay in gifts, i.e. homebrew Gin (y) (y)

it's something about knotted muscles/ligaments & air underneath grissle. you could hear him crunching on my knee cap :?
I find, the more it hurts the better it gets ;)

GuinnessGirl
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby GuinnessGirl » Fri May 28, 2004 2:14 pm

peter wrote:My son was a swimmer and had this kind of problem. It was misalignment of the knee cap. I took him to a sportts physio who gave him exercise to strengthen his weaker leg muscles, which was causing the misalignment. Two months of doing the exercises and he was cured.

I've been doing those exercises since I was 15 and I'm still not cured :cry:

must try harder

Return to “General skating”