Paris Slalom World Cup 2004

General chat from around the world

Moderator: Traffic warden

n_prenom
Power slider
Power slider

Paris Slalom World Cup 2004

Postby n_prenom » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:43 pm

I went there on Saturday to see the slalom ("freestyle", not speed) finals. I actually only managed to see the men (no sexism or sex orientation involved, it's just that the women finals were waaaaay too early (around 2pm ;) ). Anyway, I watched the men finals and it was pretty impressive, although there was quite a big difference between some of them. The top 2 were really impressive.

The only drawback was the lack of animation and public: for such a "big" event (World Cup !), at the Trocadero, with plenty of sunshine, I expected hundreds if not thousand of people (there wasn't only slalom, but also downhill speed slalom and jumps, on inline and boards + a few quads). But the finals runs were being watched by a mere hundred people (my optimistic guess)... Ok, I don't want our sport to become mainstream like the tennis circus in Rolland Garros, but still, with all the people skating in Paris, I was hoping for more interest...

Also, I found it somehow revolting that a guy who has spent thousands of hours mastering a skill be completely ignored: to me, some of the top skaters easily compare to the best athletes in, say, soccer, and skating is certainly more impressive, even on TV, than golf or Formula 1...

Edited: here's the site (in French) with results and some pics: http://rollerenligne.com/dossiers/slalo ... p_2004.htm

You can watch some videos of the best runs here: http://rollerfr.net/ (under "Derni├â┬¿res vid├â┬®os" on the right hand side of the page)
Last edited by n_prenom on Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kost
New school
New school

Postby Kost » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:55 pm

way to go n_prenom, i agree and most skaters and pros you speak to here in france and ask them what they want to see in the skating community, their reply is for people to get more involved!

i saw a couple of vids and was also surprised to see very few ppl in the audience...(of course i myself wasnt there which doesnt say much for my loyalty :oops: but i do have a very good excuse)!

Gerbil
New school
New school

Re: Paris Slalom World Cup 2004

Postby Gerbil » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:55 pm

n_prenom wrote:I found it somehow revolting that a guy who has spent thousands of hours mastering a skill be completely ignored: to me.

most people spend a few thousand hours at their job and yet most of them get completely ignored.
n_prenom wrote:Skating is certainly more impressive, even on TV, than golf or Formula 1...
whilest I agree with you. you do have to realise that you have a biased view point. Skating doent have the clean cut image of other sports (or at least when they started to get popular).

In the same vein name 3 well know footballers ?
ok now name 3 well known skaters ?

n_prenom
Power slider
Power slider

Postby n_prenom » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:44 pm

design8r wrote:of course i myself wasnt there which doesnt say much for my loyalty :oops: but i do have a very good excuse)!

What's her name ? :mrgreen:

Patrick
Old school
Old school

Postby Patrick » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:46 pm

We were all there as well! Design8r, you live in Paris, so no excuse! Nice to see Cecile and Lenka, and to meet Marjorie (omg she eats a lot! ;) ) and a whole bunch of happy Parisian skaters!

Kost
New school
New school

Postby Kost » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:04 pm

Patrick wrote:We were all there as well! Design8r, you live in Paris, so no excuse! Nice to see Cecile and Lenka, and to meet Marjorie (omg she eats a lot! ;) ) and a whole bunch of happy Parisian skaters!

yup no excuse...but i was sort of being kicked out of my flat and moving to another one... and that pretty much took up all my time...on the plus side i'm in a bigger place which fits more ppl and everyone's invited!!! yeeeee

Christophe
New school
New school

Postby Christophe » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:32 pm

design8r wrote:
Patrick wrote:We were all there as well! Design8r, you live in Paris, so no excuse! Nice to see Cecile and Lenka, and to meet Marjorie (omg she eats a lot! ;) ) and a whole bunch of happy Parisian skaters!

yup no excuse...but i was sort of being kicked out of my flat and moving to another one... and that pretty much took up all my time...on the plus side i'm in a bigger place which fits more ppl and everyone's invited!!! yeeeee

(y) (d) C'est quand la pendaison de la cremaillere? Je suis la le 02 juillet !!!... (b) (b) :mrgreen:

Shame you missed the event , design8r. Some of the runs I saw (freestyle) was rather... impressive.
It was funny to see so many familiar Serpentine Road faces all around the Trocadero over the w/end. Blessed by the sun too! 8) (y)

Phil
Old school
Old school

Postby Phil » Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:17 am

Does anyone know who the other camera guy in the videos is and if he has put his videos online anywhere. The videos that he has must be pretty good as they were taken from a better angle and fairly close up.

Also are the results available? I didn't see any on rollerfr.

Kost
New school
New school

Postby Kost » Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:48 am

Phil wrote:Does anyone know who the other camera guy in the videos is and if he has put his videos online anywhere. The videos that he has must be pretty good as they were taken from a better angle and fairly close up.

there are vids on rollerfr, i think you may need to join in order to see them

n_prenom
Power slider
Power slider

Postby n_prenom » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:35 am

design8r wrote:yup no excuse...but i was sort of being kicked out of my flat and moving to another one... and that pretty much took up all my time...on the plus side i'm in a bigger place which fits more ppl and everyone's invited!!! yeeeee

Funny, I also moved in over the week end to a new, bigger place ! And best of all, it's MINE :lol:

BigSteev
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby BigSteev » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:32 am

Have to agree that the crowds were sadly disappointing although obviously that meant that it was easier to get a good view. I know that they had problems with the PA on Sunday which didn't help, but I didn't see that much in the way of promotion of the event.
Considering that there were competitors from all over the world attending, that was a great shame.

n_prenom
Power slider
Power slider

Postby n_prenom » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:02 am

Phil wrote:Does anyone know who the other camera guy in the videos is and if he has put his videos online anywhere. The videos that he has must be pretty good as they were taken from a better angle and fairly close up.

I edit my first message to include the links to both vids and results.

BigSteev
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby BigSteev » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:27 am

Just checked the results and I have to admit to being a little surprised that Saroya won the style slalom and that Sebastian was second in the slide comp. I'll have to watch my videos again.
Actually I don't think that the guy doing the most amazing slides actually entered. He was doing loooooonng slides on just the 2 back wheels (inlines) and slides on just the front 2! (unfortunately I don't have the latter on film)

Return to “General skating”