General chat from around the world

Moderator: Traffic warden

SkateKitten
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Rollerblader sets off speed camera with 40mph dash

Postby SkateKitten » Thu May 05, 2011 1:02 pm

This tickled me...

Rollerblader sets off speed camera with 40mph dash (but police can't prosecute him for breaking speed limit)By Daily Mail
Last updated at 12:20 PM on 5th May 2011

Road safety campaigners have criticised a stunt skater who set off a speed camera by racing along a public road at almost 40mph at night without lights, brakes or safety equipment.

Professional rollerblader Sam Tuffnell took four attempts to make the camera flash - but police can not prosecute him because he was not in a motorised vehicle. Mr Tuffnell, 28, from Brighton, believes he reached 40mph skating on the road in Hastings, East Sussex.

Night skater: Rollerblader Sam Tuffnell is shown setting off a Hastings camera as he speeds past at 40mph

'I want to go faster': Despite breaking the speed limit, police cannot prosecute Mr Tuffnell

'I may have been going a bit faster than that.' he said. 'I have been towed by a car at 65mph and it didn't feel far off that. I was trying to go faster.'
Video footage of his dangerous speed camera stunt has been watched more than 4,000 times on YouTube since it was posted a week ago.
He said: 'Everyone loves the video. They think it's brilliant. Some people think it's quite mad.'

His friend, Jake Eley, who runs a skate shop in Eastbourne, warned amateurs not to attempt the stunt.
'Sam Tuffnell is a rollerblading machine,' he commented. 'Other people would not be able to stand the speed or pressure.'
The video, posted on YouTube by Mr Eley, shows a fire engine racing along the Hastings road and setting off the speed camera before Mr Tuffnell begins his high-risk stunt.

Mr Tuffnel wore a high visibility waistcoat to make sure the camera picked him after two attempts dressed entirely in black with no lights.
He was not wearing a helmet or knee and elbow pads and had no brakes on his in-line skates. He had been diagnosed with a broken coccyx just four days earlier.

He's a maniac: Thousands have watched an online video of Sam's late night speed-skating

You can't catch me: Tuffnell will not be charged as the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 says non-motorised vehicles can not be prosecuted for speeding

The hair-raising video shows him skating in the dark, dressed in black, on a road with other traffic.
His gang of friends can be heard whooping when the camera flashes twice with no other vehicles in sight.
One comment on the YouTube video says: 'I would love to see the expression on the faces of the people in the camera control center!!"'
While they may have seen a photo of Tuffnell pumping his hands in the air as he passed, they will not be able to fine him because the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 says non-motorised vehicles can not be prosecuted for speeding.

Despite its online popularity, Mr Tufnell's stunt has been labelled 'nothing short of extremely foolish' by road safety campaigners.

'It is almost inconceivable that anyone would attempt such a dangerous stunt at night, dressed mostly in black, on a road that's in use, just to prove a point,' said Neil Hopkins of the Sussex Safer Roads Partnership.

'This sort of activity should always take place off the road under supervised conditions and ideally with protective clothing being used.

'Motorists also won't be expecting to see someone on roller blades in the road, and other road users would find it incredibly difficult to accurately judge speed.'

Speeding into the night: The speed camera's light flashes as Sam Tuffnell dashes away after breaking the speed limit

The need for speed: Sam Tuffnell took on his high-velocity stunt despite recently suffering a broken coccyx with on tour

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1LTjE4C2x

James M
Power slider
Power slider

Re: Rollerblader sets off speed camera with 40mph dash

Postby James M » Thu May 05, 2011 8:47 pm

GumbieBEN
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby GumbieBEN » Thu May 05, 2011 8:53 pm

SO did he do it under his own steam or did he skitch up to the speed?

downboy
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby downboy » Fri May 06, 2011 4:53 am

This is old hat, surely?

been done

If, as he says "I want to go faster" then why is he on aggressives? Me no get!

swmlon
Power slider
Power slider

Postby swmlon » Fri May 06, 2011 7:01 am

Yeah, it's a bit disappointing seeing him do this on aggressives, I thought if you want to go faster, go smaller on the skates and bigger on wheels and wear lycra or something to that effect.

But, a funny story nonetheless, I always laugh at things written in the DM

Stevie B
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby Stevie B » Fri May 06, 2011 11:29 am

Sparky, will you let him get away with this?

GumbieBEN
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby GumbieBEN » Fri May 06, 2011 11:31 am

Stevie B wrote:Sparky, will you let him get away with this?

Well I think we've found the venue for the much anticipated StevieB and Sparky race you challenged him to in Eastbourne the other year!

saffron
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby saffron » Fri May 06, 2011 12:29 pm

Hahahahaa....this is brilliant.......but Stevie will clearly be faster ;)

Barracuda
Gumbie
Gumbie

UK Skater trips SPEED CAMERA

Postby Barracuda » Fri May 06, 2011 4:39 pm

ld50
Power slider
Power slider

Postby ld50 » Sat May 07, 2011 5:41 am

downboy wrote:This is old hat, surely?

been done

If, as he says "I want to go faster" then why is he on aggressives? Me no get!

Well, you beat me to the punch there. I was going to post that particular vid too. (b)

First, that's pretty cool and fun video. It's also cool that he did on aggressive skates. However, like downboy said, he's not the first and he won't be the last. People are mentioning night skating at that speed on a public road like it's more dangerous than during the day. I do this every week on the streets and I feel a lot more safe at night during than during the day. Less traffic/visible headlights at intersections and around corners.

Anyways, good on him for beating the law. No thanks for law makers to make skating more difficult on public roads by publicizing it like this. Also, everything that is fun is dangerous.

ephillips
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby ephillips » Sat May 07, 2011 9:14 am

This ended up in the telegraph and quite a few other websites. I wonder if there are other publicity grabbing stunts that could be done just as easily?

ld50
Power slider
Power slider

Postby ld50 » Sat May 07, 2011 10:47 am

I'm not familiar with them, but I'm sure that they have some sort of base following to incite this sort of attention.

Personally, I'd rather not have that sort of attention; I'd rather keep a low profile and keep my spots from getting any heat so that I can enjoy the thrill of skating, rather than the cheap thrill of attention.

Dan B
New school
New school

Postby Dan B » Sat May 07, 2011 11:03 am

ld50 wrote:beating the law

Que? What he did is perfectly legal

ld50
Power slider
Power slider

Postby ld50 » Sat May 07, 2011 11:08 am

Yeah, I know, but it's like laughing in the face of the law; it seems like something that would be illegal, but isn't.

Naomi
Admin
Admin

Postby Naomi » Sat May 07, 2011 11:23 am

ephillips wrote:just as easily?
I don't think so. Speed is something which non-skaters just cannot conceive.

But I'm absolutely positive that there is more to be milked from the speed side of things.

This is just one possibility - and it has people thinking he's 'extremely foolish' because they are ignorant. I say that the more such videos (not the exact same stunt) that appear on youtube, the more that it will become widely accepted that actually there is nothing wrong with skating at those speeds.

ld50
Power slider
Power slider

Postby ld50 » Sat May 07, 2011 11:35 am

There may be hundreds of DH inline vids online, but no one really cares, to be honest. No one is searching for these videos. These types of videos will only become popular if the people involved are already supported by many in some other way.

The average person just doesn't understand calculated risk. Most people that do things like this have skills that they've cultivated over years. From the uneducated eye people who do "dangerous" things are "crazy" because most are unaware of what's involved.

atleastinheaven
Power slider
Power slider

Postby atleastinheaven » Sat May 07, 2011 1:22 pm

So he's going over 40 mph without a safety helmet, without wrist guards, knee pads or elbow pads. And, for part of the time, he was not wearing any type of reflective clothing that would have alerted car drivers to his presence.

Chav. Chav. Chav.

Mick
New school
New school

Postby Mick » Sat May 07, 2011 1:50 pm

ld50 wrote:The average person just doesn't understand calculated risk. Most people that do things like this have skills that they've cultivated over years. From the uneducated eye people who do "dangerous" things are "crazy" because most are unaware of what's involved.

Also I think a lot of people are just far more risk averse, they don't understand that some of us need regular doses of adrenaline and the feeling that we're relying on our own skills and judgement to get that intense sense of being alive. Of course we all make mistakes and things beyond our control can go wrong, but knowing that and deciding how much we should allow for it is all part of the buzz. And no Mr Neil Hopkins of the Sussex Safer Roads Partnership, doing it with full safety gear in a controlled environment under careful supervision is not the same! The negative consequences for others when doing it on skates are far less than when you're just going about your everyday business piloting a ton of metal and glass and probably not paying proper attention a lot of the time.

atleastinheaven wrote:So he's going over 40 mph without a safety helmet, without wrist guards, knee pads or elbow pads. And, for part of the time, he was not wearing any type of reflective clothing that would have alerted car drivers to his presence.

Chav. Chav. Chav.

*sighs*

The crucial part of your post is: "he's going". That's not you doing it, and nobody is saying that you should. You make your own decisions on the level of risk you are prepared to take and the extent to which you rely on your own judgement. The rest of us will do the same thanks very much.

I get the feeling that you haven't done that sort of thing so you're not really in a position to judge the level of risk anyway. To you it might look dodgy in the vid but what he's doing isn't actually very dangerous for a good skater, and in that particular situation the visibility thing isn't really an issue.

atleastinheaven
Power slider
Power slider

Postby atleastinheaven » Sat May 07, 2011 5:02 pm

Mick wrote:
atleastinheaven wrote:So he's going over 40 mph without a safety helmet, without wrist guards, knee pads or elbow pads. And, for part of the time, he was not wearing any type of reflective clothing that would have alerted car drivers to his presence.

Chav. Chav. Chav.

*sighs*

The crucial part of your post is: "he's going". That's not you doing it, and nobody is saying that you should. You make your own decisions on the level of risk you are prepared to take and the extent to which you rely on your own judgement. The rest of us will do the same thanks very much.

I get the feeling that you haven't done that sort of thing so you're not really in a position to judge the level of risk anyway. To you it might look dodgy in the vid but what he's doing isn't actually very dangerous for a good skater, and in that particular situation the visibility thing isn't really an issue.

Double, treble and quadruple *sighs*.

Anybody travelling along the public highway at night without visibility clothing or even the most basic protective equipment is wreckless and anti-social - even if they are going at far less than 40 mph. If they crash, the extent of their injuries (if, of course, they survived) would necessitate a long stay in hospital, follow-up physiotherapy and perhaps many years of us supporting them to live on sickness benefits. This guy has looked at the risks involved in what he is doing and has clearly taken no action to minimize the potential for injury. Racing drivers, jockeys, snowboarders and ski-flyers do take the appropriate action to minimize harm to themselves.

I am also concerned that because he does not always wear high visibility clothing at night then the risks of his activities are even higher. I would not want to be the car driver who has to live with the trauma of having killed someone simply because there was no chance I could have seen them. Has he considered that? Probably not.

If that is how he gets his adrenalin rush then he should do it off road wearing an appropriate level of safety equipment which would minimize the cost to us if he were seriously disabled by an accident caused directly as a result of his activities.

Is he a 'good' skater? I have no idea. It depends what you mean by 'good'. Is what he is doing not dangerous for a 'good' skater? Perhaps this link will enlighten some of the posters following this debate:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... _page.html

Return to “General skating”