General chat from around the world

Moderator: Traffic warden

SteRit
Gumbie
Gumbie

Greater Manchester Skating Club

Postby SteRit » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:07 pm

Hi everyone,

I have been in contact with Tameside Council about setting up an inline skating club at the new Ashton Criterium Cycling Circuit in Ashton-under-Lyne, Greater Manchester. They are quite keen for the track to be used for both cycling and skating and have been quite supportive of the idea.

The track is exactly 1km long with a few corners and has grass run-offs surrounding the circuit. There is one tight hairpin turn, however it is possible to turn off before this corner. The tarmac is really smooth and has floodlights and changing rooms which are included in the rental cost of £30 per hour or £70 for an afternoon.

There is no recreational club in the area and very few places to skate on good surfaces around the city at speed and over a good distance. The nearest ones are in Ashbourne or Birmingham.

Before I take anything further, would enough people be interested in joining, helping set up etc? As a keen cyclist with contacts with local clubs, it may be possible to tie in with them initially for the marketing, liability insurance and treasury rules.

Nothing is beyond idea / discussion stage yet and any thoughts are welcome...

Steven

lurch
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Re: Greater Manchester Skating Club

Postby lurch » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:22 pm

You might want to also ask this question over at the LSST board - LondonSkaters Speed Team - as someone there might be able to put you in touch with speed skating clubs in the region - http://www.londonspeedskaters.com/

Johnny
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby Johnny » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:34 pm

You may want to contact FISS for help: http://www.inlinespeed.co.uk/

matty
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby matty » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:05 pm

Johnny, you beat me to it... :) :)

Adrian (our lead team coach at LondonSkaters Speed Team - LSST) also suggested contacting FISS directly, he mentioned there was a club in the area but it folded, leaving 1 member, Max Rothwell, who is now a member of Raps....

anyhoo... good luck, i hope something good comes of your efforts..

Look no Skywater
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby Look no Skywater » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:03 pm

There aren't any speedskating clubs in the area since the demise of Southport tem YMCA http://www.brsf.co.uk/ might be a better point of contact as there are probably other disciplines in the area. You might be able to pick up a few of the old speed skaters from YMCA. The chairman of FISS who is one of the coaching instructors for the BRSF is based in the Southport area.

SteRit
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby SteRit » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:15 pm

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Will contact FISS for more details.

The encouraging news is that hiring the track shouldn't be a problem.

TheObserver
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby TheObserver » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:42 pm

Look no Skywater wrote:There aren't any speedskating clubs in the area since the demise of Southport tem YMCA http://www.brsf.co.uk/ might be a better point of contact as there are probably other disciplines in the area. You might be able to pick up a few of the old speed skaters from YMCA. The chairman of FISS who is one of the coaching instructors for the BRSF is based in the Southport area.

Skywater, thank you for the prompt, the following link might also give some clues as to other activity in the Greater Manchestar area.

http://www.brsf.co.uk/Clubs_NorthWest.htm#Manchester

John, The Observer,
South West Wales.

Joniquai
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby Joniquai » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:38 am

SteRit,

I am based in Leeds and would be very interested in coming along to train with you in Manchester. I skate quads but do have a pair of inlines if it will be inline only... Please hit me up on John-at-northernroll.co.uk as I don't get onto this forum as regularly as I used to... I know quite a few roller derby folk that would no doubt be interested in some speedskating if you would be happy to have quaddies too!

Gregorezzi
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby Gregorezzi » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:41 pm

I was wondering if there is any inline skating club in manchester. Couldn't find one so I joined short track ice speed skating club in Altrincham called Silverblades. They only do one session a week which is on Sunday's and is really good fun for ice lovers.

But anyway I would be really interested to join an inline club to skate more often. I used to do inline in summer and short track in winter back in Poland for nearly 10 years but didn't have a chance to skate for he last 7 years (inline) :(

Should we start up a new club together in manchester? Who is up for it? Some guys from short track might be interested in joining as it is very interconnected sport :) maybe we could use some supermarket carpark, for example DIY market chain - Focus went bust so we could take their car park for a bit :)

SteRit
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby SteRit » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:45 am

I am back skating again! I am training for an epic Paris to London skate and am still no closer to finding somewhere good in Manchester to go.

I go down to Alderley Edge and skate the by-pass cycle path. It is 3 miles long, has super smooth tarmac, no roads and few pedestrians. It is the best place to go in the area.

I go down there at weekends and sometimes in the evening.

Mozpowerlifter
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby Mozpowerlifter » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:53 am

I'd be up for this. I live in Northwich in Cheshire, but regulary spend every other week in Manchester @ my girlfriends. Since back skating I've been doing aggressive and slalom but I want to get into speed and distance skating for fitness.

SteRit
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby SteRit » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:02 pm

Mozpowerlifter...

If you want to go skating next Saturday, I plan to go to Alderley Edge. Should be down there every Sat and Sun until the end of August.

I am still trying to seek out somewhere suitable in the city centre or within the GM Travelcard zone to skate without having to pay to go on the train everytime. The Manchester Cycleway is okay, but it is quite busy though you can skate as soon as get off the tram to Fallowfield and back (3 miles).

I am contacting the Ashton Circuit again this week to see if I can do some evening training before or after the bike races. The negative with this course is the hairpin corner which is quite tough at speed even on a bike, though we can cut the lap short and use the sweeping curve.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/road/a ... -Circuit-0

saundersbp
Lurker

Postby saundersbp » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:57 pm

I was wondering too if there was any skating club in Manchester / Huddersfield area......

Gregorezzi
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby Gregorezzi » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:02 pm

SteRit...

Have you found anything out?

I have heard about Alderley Edge bypass from one of our ice speed skating team member. But it's quite far for me to travel there from Worsley. I only just make it on Sunday's for the short track ice speed skating session due to time restrictions :(

I tried to skate on to work on the city roads but it's just a madness especially with taxi drivers around. Plus the surface in most places gives you hell of a lot vibrations :/ and it drew many people attention skating at 20-25mph in the proper skating position like they never seen it before...

Im just waiting when will I get stopped by the coppers.... haha :)

Have you considered Heaton Park or even better - trafford centre car park behind John Lewis entrance?

I think the second option would be good as long as they let us skate on there, Especially there is always massive empty area at the right back of the parking lot. The Tarmac is also quite good as they organized there some drifting by BMW Formula 1 team few years back so it shouldn't be that negative.

SteRit
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby SteRit » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:04 pm

Just to let you know that I went skating at the Ashton Cycle Circuit in Tameside (Manchester) on Saturday.

They do 'inclusive cycle' sessions at the track on Saturdays between 1300-1500. This means that there are a few young people on the track, but in all it is fairly quiet and the leader had no problem with me skating there. The distance is 1km per lap.

The surface is good, though the white line is a bit slippery and the tarmac behind the Curzon Ashton FC stand can be a bit damp if the sun is not shining on the track.

The cost is £2 and as long as I respect the cyclists and leave plenty of room, then they have no problem with me going again. You can store your things in the bike garage too and there is an IKEA nearby for post skate refreshments!

flowskate (leo)
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby flowskate (leo) » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:06 am

Hi guys. I am based in Cheshire and am a BRSF qualified level 2, ICP qualified level 2 and ICP slalom qualified instructor. I would love to get involved with this.

www.flowskate.co.uk

Kind Regards

Leo Oppenheim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQZOCyvfp3o

New edit too have a look!

Return to “General skating”