Where to find Jam Plugs in the UK?

General chat from around the world

Moderator: Traffic warden

HK47
Power slider
Power slider

Where to find Jam Plugs in the UK?

Postby HK47 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:08 pm

Anyone know where you can get jam plugs for adjustable toestop threads in the UK? (that aren't Reidell brand)

Tried doing a hunt around, but no joy so far :(

Becca
New school
New school

Re: Where to find Jam Plugs in the UK?

Postby Becca » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:24 pm

I found these on ebay. They don't look like the Riedell ones (although they say they're for Riedell skates).
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dance-Plugs-5 ... 746bfaa25f

What's wrong with the Riedell jam plugs? Just asking because I've never tried them. The only jam plugs I've used are clear plastic ones with flashing lights inside that I bought online from America!

HK47
Power slider
Power slider

Postby HK47 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:08 pm

I ended up grabbing a pair of Reidell ones from Everglides ... basically they're not ideal because they're a bit on the chubby side (to say the least!), though the more I think about it the more it makes sense for me to start with chunky ones 'cause I know I'm going to forget I've not got stops at least a couple of times :?

Nice link though, I'll probably grab a pair of those for later, too - it's weird as I did check ebay, but couldn't find anything. Thanks :)

Becca
New school
New school

Postby Becca » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:29 pm

HK47 wrote: it makes sense for me to start with chunky ones 'cause I know I'm going to forget I've not got stops at least a couple of times

Yeah, I've done that a few times when on inlines! I styled it out though and managed to not fall on my face.

HK47
Power slider
Power slider

Postby HK47 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:31 am

Becca wrote:... styled it out ...
I am so stealing that :D

HK47
Power slider
Power slider

Postby HK47 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:47 pm

For the record, Reidell Jam Plugs are just rubbish - they mark the floor and wear out VERY fast (I recon they're really made by Crayola) ... also, they don't grip so I can't imagine doing a proper stall on them*!

*it'll be a while 'till I actually find this out for myself, lol

inkh0rn
Power slider
Power slider

Postby inkh0rn » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:37 am

Hey HK how you doing? If you're still in the market for jam plugs the shop at Wigan rink has them (not Riedell) in a range of colours, I've just got some red ones today. They're £6.99 a set - if you want some PM me and I'll pick them up for you and send them to you for cost + postage if you want - you can paypal me the money to my email. I think they were in red, blue, white and pink...maybe...

I did try 'toe stopping' on them on my wooden floor at home, and I noticed they were wearing away already. Methinks they're not meant to be 'stopped' with at all, putting our experiences with them together.

I've seen jam skaters spinning on them, but I think I need to develop other ways of stopping. Seeing as I haven't really learnt to stop with toe stops anyway, I'm not particularly at a disadvantage. I'm gonna work on using a 'reverse T stop' or powerslide when going backwards - not that I'm anywhere near fast enough to need either stop yet ;).

happy rollin

Stu

HK47
Power slider
Power slider

Postby HK47 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:20 am

Heh, yeah I found some on ebay (in the UK) that are good quality and basically very very tiny toe stops ... since I wrote that, I've learnt to not use them at all and got some 'dance plugs' from the US which are basically just there so your plate doesn't scratch the floor if you fall :)

For stopping from backwards, powerslide and reverse plow are the ones to practice, I'm not very good at either just yet so just tend to turn around and stop from going forwards :P

Fronts
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby Fronts » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:01 pm

Hi, I am the maker of Jam Plugs.co.uk. Non Marking, Not scratch Polyurethane Jame Plugs in 5/16 threads. Very soon 5/8. I can custom make them smaller or bigger depending on your skate style or plate. www.jamplugs.co.uk

Had the same problem with finding good Plugs for my Skates, started making for me and my friends wanted them. Recently set up my site. Hope you like it.

Quadster
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby Quadster » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:58 pm

It's a great web site Stan, and a much needed service because it has been pretty much impossible to get 5/16" threaded plugs in this country (and importing from the US is so expensive).

For those of you who don't already know, there's also a Fronts Jamplugs Facebook group, where you can ask questions or make suggestions for new products.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/373656392706469/

HK47
Power slider
Power slider

Postby HK47 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:19 pm

Fronts wrote:Hi, I am the maker of Jam Plugs.co.uk. Non Marking, Not scratch Polyurethane Jame Plugs in 5/16 threads. Very soon 5/8. I can custom make them smaller or bigger depending on your skate style or plate. http://www.jamplugs.co.uk

Had the same problem with finding good Plugs for my Skates, started making for me and my friends wanted them. Recently set up my site. Hope you like it.
Good stuff, when you start doing 5/8" stops I may well be interested in some hard/slidey low profile plugs - at the mo I have some SureGrip Fomacs in that are nice, but smaller and harder would be helpful to me :)

Fronts
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby Fronts » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:45 am

Quadster wrote:It's a great web site Stan, and a much needed service because it has been pretty much impossible to get 5/16" threaded plugs in this country (and importing from the US is so expensive).

For those of you who don't already know, there's also a Fronts Jamplugs Facebook group, where you can ask questions or make suggestions for new products.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/373656392706469/

Thanks for the message Quadster. Not sure how I missed that. Means A lot. Am currently looking for threads or molding threads for 5/8 Jam Plugs now but wanted to know is there anything that would need changing to make them better. I only skate 5/16 so have only had one comment and that was to make them a bit shorter. Is there anything else about 5/8 you guys can think of.
I

Fronts
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby Fronts » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:54 am

HK47 wrote:
Fronts wrote:Hi, I am the maker of Jam Plugs.co.uk. Non Marking, Not scratch Polyurethane Jame Plugs in 5/16 threads. Very soon 5/8. I can custom make them smaller or bigger depending on your skate style or plate. http://www.jamplugs.co.uk

Good stuff, when you start doing 5/8" stops I may well be interested in some hard/slidey low profile plugs - at the mo I have some SureGrip Fomacs in that are nice, but smaller and harder would be helpful to me :)

Thanks for the comment HK47. I am going for something along the line that you want. It will be a Dome but the contact point should be so small they should slide instead of burn down. the new 5/8 are being tested at Roller world rink next wednesday.
I am trying to keep my guidelines set for the lowest possible contact point I can get while protecting the Boot.

HK47
Power slider
Power slider

Postby HK47 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:56 pm

Thats what I'm after TBH, just something so I don't carve up the floor or my boot!

I would come down to have a look next Wednesday as Rollerworld is my favorite rink, but I'm getting 2 hours worth of tattoo done in the afternoon so will probably just want to chill instead ... oh well :(

Return to “General skating”