TKR op recovery experience

General chat from around the world

Moderator: Traffic warden

stuRC45
Gumbie
Gumbie

TKR op recovery experience

Postby stuRC45 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:01 am

Has anyone out there got any personal or third party info/advise they could share? (TKR = total knee replacement)
I've just had my right knee replaced (the arthritis got a little to much plus the leg wouldn't fully extend and was getting too misaligned, wouldn't bend blah, blah, blah) and would like to get back on my skates ASAP but am kinda worried that I'm likely to do some ligament damage if (if???? when) I next hit the deck.

atleastinheaven
Power slider
Power slider

Re: TKR op recovery experience

Postby atleastinheaven » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:03 pm

Don't let worry about ligament damage stop you. If the doctors and physios can give you the right programme of rehabilitation and protection for your knee then skate. My aunt, who is 80, suffers from arthritis like you and she is going into hospital soon to have a total knee replacement for the total knee replacement she had 20 years ago. Hope yours goes well.

stuRC45
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby stuRC45 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:28 pm

It's been just over four weeks now, the new knee bends better than it has in 20 year and the strength is starting to come back (can now walk up and down the stairs without holding on to anything) so looking good so far. The physio is the killer but the more you do the better it gets so it kinda spurs you on (and the opiates are free so eat 'em and smile :) )
If anyone ends up in a similar situation give me a shout and I'll try to give advise where I can.

NS Jason
Power slider
Power slider

Postby NS Jason » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:34 pm

I came back from a pretty horrific injury and the main thing I can say is really get the leg strength up before getting back on the skates. Definitely do all the physio they give you (but stop and have a rest if it starts hurting and do it again once it has stopped) even if the number of reps seems ridiculous. When getting back on skates don't just dive into a friday night street skate, start with a few sessions of just slowly skating about in the park or somewhere it's nice and flat. lots of the lemons/swizzles exercise helps too.

Although if you have been doing that in the 2 weeks since your last post and you think you are upto it maybe try a Sunday stroll. Ligaments will only get damaged if they and the muscles around them aren't strong enough or you do something stupid.

Return to “General skating”