Places to Skate in North West UK???

General chat from around the world

Moderator: Traffic warden

rocknook
Lurker

Places to Skate in North West UK???

Postby rocknook » Thu May 17, 2012 8:58 pm

Hi All

As a recently born-again skater, I'm back on 8 wheels after a 15 year "rest" and just starting to set out finding places to skate near my home in Bolton.

Trouble is that there don't seem to be many smooth-ish, flat-ish places to re-learn nearby so I'm hoping that someone out there will be able to point me in the direction of some good inline skating areas (large,smooth flat areas suitable for a more-or-less beginner).

Anywhere in the North West is good, but the nearer the better - I'm aware of Southport and Blackpool as good places to skate, but keen to build up a number of options to go to...

All suggestions welcome!!

Cheers!

Robin

HK47
Power slider
Power slider

Re: Places to Skate in North West UK???

Postby HK47 » Thu May 17, 2012 9:46 pm

Wigan is the only one I can think of, the rink there has a great floor :)

NS Jason
Power slider
Power slider

Postby NS Jason » Fri May 18, 2012 2:06 pm

Might be worth speaking to Leo at http://www.flowskate.co.uk
He operates around the Manchester area so should know a few good spots

Gregorezzi
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby Gregorezzi » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:13 pm

I live in Worsley and got the same question, where can we skate without being a pain in the ass for cars??

I thought maybe trafford centre back carpark near John Lewis entrance seems to be good as there is never any cars in the evening hours or early morning. And it's loads of space there, we could make a full 400m oval circuit track out of it.

Anyone knows anything more? Some parks? Apparently Alderly Edge cycle bypass is worth checking out.

SteRit
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby SteRit » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:54 am

I have been skating along the East Lancs Cycle Path over the past couple of weeks training. The path is smooth, has few side entrances and you can do out and backs of around 20 miles from Walkden (nearest station). The best place is from the Worsley / Boothstown turn-off towards St Helens. Just be friendly towards pedestrians and cyclists as they are not used to seeing skaters on the path. Though because of the lack of bus or train routes, the majority of people are leisure / commuter cyclists.

Recommend using a brake as there are a couple of flyover bridges and footpath side entrances. The path runs smmoth until Knowsley, but then changes to the 1970s pavement slab surface towards Everton/Liverpool.

I tend to get down there around 1745 and skate until 2000 as the train back to Walkden is at 2049.

For proper speedskate training, I would recommend Preston Arena. The cost is £4 for a day pass, but you can skate on the track on a fast, flat surface. The only negative is getting there as it is about an hour walk from the train station or a bus ride with a walk along the canal. Taxi is probably the best option. Will cost a bit to get there, but worth the effort.

Alderley Edge is probably the best place around the NW though. Easy to get to, shops nearby for refuelling before heading back out again and very quiet on the route. The only negative is that lack of trains on Sundays.

These are the places I have been skating on over the past year in the NW. It is just a shame that some of the old railway lines or canal paths are covered in gravel or grass and not tarmac e.g. Leigh to Eccles.

Return to “General skating”