General chat from around the world

Moderator: Traffic warden

SteRit
Gumbie
Gumbie

Skating holidays...

Postby SteRit » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:51 am

Hi,

I know a lot of people do skating marathons in Germany and France on here, but have you ever thought about doing Rollerblading holidays? I know it is possible to do this in Switzerland as the country has cross-country paths dedicated to inline skating. What are your thoughts?

Also, is it possible to take your skates on planes as hand luggage? The rules seem ambiguous.

mit
New school
New school

Re: Skating holidays...

Postby mit » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:38 am

There are probably people who are keen on this but they usually need someone keen enough to organise things for them.

You can and can't take skates on as hand luggage. It depends on your luck of the draw on the security check person. I once carried my skates on as hand luggage from Stansted to La Rochelle, but on the way back they insisted I had to check my skates in as hold baggage. Go figure!?

Mentally Dull
New school
New school

Postby Mentally Dull » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:47 am

there are a number of organised tours on the continent if you don't feel like doing things yourself - if you're quick you can catch one the coming weeked: http://www.nrw-inlinetour.de/

SteRit
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby SteRit » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:05 am

Interesting! I think as ever it is about awareness. If events such as the NRW skate are not publicised in the UK, then it is hard to find out about them. I have found an excellent site about skating in Munich that lists several good rollerblading routes. http://www.skatekarte.de/ There is enough here to keep you occupied for the weekend!

Wild Phil
New school
New school

Postby Wild Phil » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:35 am

I know http://www.skatefresh.co.uk and http://www.skateinstructor.com organise regular group trips for their students.

steveh
Power slider
Power slider

Postby steveh » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:07 am

Six of us from London joined this year's Finline tour last month, and we had a fantastic time, skating nearly 400km over a week. Thoroughly recommend this if you are looking to do a skate holiday next year. They don't publicise it very much because they are limited to a group size of about 30.

st3rius
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby st3rius » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:11 pm

If you want a nice relaxed skate holiday then I'd recommend doing the Danube cycle way.

I did this over the course of two Easter holidays. Details as follows:

2010: Passau to Linz (120km)
Fly London --> Munich, take train to Passau. 60+km to Schlogen, overnight at a hotel, continue onwards next day to Linz.

2011: Linz to Vienna (240km)
Fly London --> Linz, strap up skates, head along the Danube to overnight in Melk (120km). Next day, continue on to Vienna (120km).

The cycle way is well paved, wide enough for two way traffic, and takes you through wine country between Linz and Vienna. Scenery wise, the first leg is more interesting as it snakes through the mountains. However, the second leg is more populated and you'll find small towns and beer huts along the path at regular intervals.

Hope this helps.

Gib

SteRit
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby SteRit » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:12 pm

Yes. I was thinking that cycle routes could be adapted for skating. The Danube Cycle Path is ideal I think. I am planning on flying to Memmingen in October to skate around one weekend. The flights are only £22 return from Manchester and leave at 0610 on Sat and return on Sun at 1710. No time off work and a hostel stop should keep the costs down even more. Oddly, it would be cheaper to do that than skate around the track in Birmingham!

There must be more of the 'Finline' type skates in Europe. It might be worth putting up a list of all the ones we can find...?

steveh
Power slider
Power slider

Postby steveh » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:05 pm

st3rius wrote:If you want a nice relaxed skate holiday then I'd recommend doing the Danube cycle way.

2010: Passau to Linz (120km)
Fly London --> Munich, take train to Passau. 60+km to Schlogen, overnight at a hotel, continue onwards next day to Linz.

2011: Linz to Vienna (240km)
Fly London --> Linz, strap up skates, head along the Danube to overnight in Melk (120km). Next day, continue on to Vienna (120km).

The cycle way is well paved, wide enough for two way traffic, and takes you through wine country between Linz and Vienna. Scenery wise, the first leg is more interesting as it snakes through the mountains. However, the second leg is more populated and you'll find small towns and beer huts along the path at regular intervals.

From Vienna you can then skate on to Bratislava, one of the few instances where it's possible to skate from one capital city to another in a day. When I did it, a few years ago the Danube cyclepath was gravel for some of this section and I had to use the roads for a while but they weren't too busy and it was easy enough to find the route, even without a map or GPS. The cyclepath may be compelely tarmac by now.

steveh
Power slider
Power slider

Postby steveh » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:12 pm

SteRit wrote:There must be more of the 'Finline' type skates in Europe. It might be worth putting up a list of all the ones we can find...?

Check out this useful blog.

SteRit
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby SteRit » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:17 pm

There is one in Sweden which I know it good for long distance skating, but is virtually unknown - The Klarälvsbanan which is an old railway line. Not easy to get to as some of the others though as it is in Central Sweden and not near any major airports. Might be worth checking out...

st3rius
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby st3rius » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:36 pm

There's also the Swiss skate/cycle routes to look at.

Return to “General skating”