Leicester Skaters website

General chat from around the world

Moderator: Traffic warden

JasonN
Gumbie
Gumbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:54 am

Leicester Skaters website

Postby JasonN » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:34 pm

Hi all

This is simply to let you know about the new Leicester Skaters website - all about skating in Leicester and the Leicester skate scene scene in general.

There is information so people can find places to skate in Leicester and find out about the different types of skating that they might be interested in.

We also have a fledging roller skating forum that is a little petite compared to the awesomeness of Serpentine road but you are all free to join up and spread your knowledge to us northerners.

Leicester is close enough to be involved in London events so if anyone is organising something they want to shout about let me know and I'll post about it on the Leicester skaters site. Hopefully there will be a bunch of us coming down do the Santa Skate.

Thanks for looking.

Jason

HK47
Power slider
Power slider
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:23 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: Leicester Skaters website

Postby HK47 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:58 pm

Sorry, but I'm going to nitpick ... on the types of skating page The Roller Derby (capitalized) started in the 1930s (before that there were only endurance races colloquially referred to as 'derby') and the modern iteration of flat track roller derby (not capitalized) started in 2002. Teams are not called leagues, a league can consist of one or more teams and many places in the UK have 2 or 3 teams in a league (London Roller Girls has a whole bunch).

Also, no reference to figure skating (quad and inline), rink hockey, or the myriad of roller dance styles :cry:

Apart from that, great site! More places could do with the same! :)

JasonN
Gumbie
Gumbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:54 am

Re: Leicester Skaters website

Postby JasonN » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:49 pm

HK47 wrote:Sorry, but I'm going to nitpick ... on the types of skating page The Roller Derby (capitalized) started in the 1930s (before that there were only endurance races colloquially referred to as 'derby') and the modern iteration of flat track roller derby (not capitalized) started in 2002.

Thats more information than I had space for but the article is true to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_roller_derby

HK47 wrote:Teams are not called leagues, a league can consist of one or more teams and many places in the UK have 2 or 3 teams in a league (London Roller Girls has a whole bunch).

I know, but non-derby people get confused over this and assume a roller derby league like the London Roller Girls is a "team" because that's how it works in football, rugby, hockey, etc.

HK47 wrote:Also, no reference to figure skating (quad and inline), rink hockey, or the myriad of roller dance styles :cry:

I haven't had time or don't know enough about those to write articles. I'll get round to it one day when I can find someone to help me.

The "types of skating" section only designed to be a brief introduction to the the main types of of skating to maybe get people interested enough to try it, not be the wikipedia of skate styles.

Phil
Old school
Old school
Posts: 7925
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:44 am
Location: Stuck between 2 cones
Contact:

Re: Leicester Skaters website

Postby Phil » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:56 pm

JasonN wrote:
HK47 wrote:Teams are not called leagues, a league can consist of one or more teams and many places in the UK have 2 or 3 teams in a league (London Roller Girls has a whole bunch).

I know, but non-derby people get confused over this and assume a roller derby league like the London Roller Girls is a "team" because that's how it works in football, rugby, hockey, etc.


umm what? I have no knowledge of Roller Derby (or admittedly football, rugby or hockey) but your statement sounds very confusing to me

Also, the Leicester Skaters seems to include the same people as the Nottingham Skaters and skate in the same places. So why the distinction?

JasonN
Gumbie
Gumbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:54 am

Re: Leicester Skaters website

Postby JasonN » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:08 pm

Read the article she was criticising, what I was saying might make sense then

Leicester and Nottingham are only 25 minutes car journey apart. I live in Leicester but have been skating with the Nottingham skaters for several years as up until now there hasn't really been a skate scene in Leicester. The Nottingham skaters Saturday session actually takes place in Leicestershire throughout the winter so we decided to make it a joint skating session between Leicester and Notts.
Last edited by JasonN on Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

HK47
Power slider
Power slider
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:23 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: Leicester Skaters website

Postby HK47 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:23 am

What I said about 1930s and 2002 is also in that same Wikipedia article ;)

Phil wrote:umm what? I have no knowledge of Roller Derby (or admittedly football, rugby or hockey) but your statement sounds very confusing to me
Mine or Jason's? I think the distinction is how many football or hockey teams play themselves competitively? Because the moment you have more than 1 team in a roller derby league they start playing one another.

JasonN wrote:Read the article he was criticising
Le sigh ... I realize that my profile picture is a bit dark and fuzzy, but I'm a bit insulted that you think I'm a guy.

JasonN
Gumbie
Gumbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:54 am

Re: Leicester Skaters website

Postby JasonN » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:03 am

gender fixed ;)

SteRit
Gumbie
Gumbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Leicester Skaters website

Postby SteRit » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:42 am

Hi. I am thinking of taking my skates to Nottingham and skating up and down the Holme Pierrepoint rowing cycle track. If anyone wants to join in, then I will be there from about half tenish.

I will be coming from Manchester so if the weather forecast looks a bit dodgy for Saturday, I probably will not come. However, so far it is fine.

Acidedge
Old school
Old school
Posts: 8376
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:48 am
Location: Nottingham. That's "north" for you southern chimps.
Contact:

Re: Leicester Skaters website

Postby Acidedge » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:03 pm

SteRit wrote:Hi. I am thinking of taking my skates to Nottingham and skating up and down the Holme Pierrepoint rowing cycle track. If anyone wants to join in, then I will be there from about half tenish.

I will be coming from Manchester so if the weather forecast looks a bit dodgy for Saturday, I probably will not come. However, so far it is fine.


The NottinghamSkaters / BladeSoc / Leicester Skaters Saturday Session is 1pm-3pm indoors at Sutton Bonnington, if you're interested, SteRit.

Sparky
New school
New school
Posts: 4246
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:05 am
Location: Speeding
Contact:

Re: Leicester Skaters website

Postby Sparky » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:05 pm

Acidedge wrote:indoors at Sutton Bonnington, if you're interested, SteRit.


In Nottinghamshire?

JasonN
Gumbie
Gumbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:54 am

Re: Leicester Skaters website

Postby JasonN » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:16 pm

Sparky wrote:
Acidedge wrote:indoors at Sutton Bonnington, if you're interested, SteRit.


In Nottinghamshire?


Nottingham University Sutton Bonnington campus which is in Leicestershire.

Map and details here
Last edited by JasonN on Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SteRit
Gumbie
Gumbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Leicester Skaters website

Postby SteRit » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:22 pm

I shall see. I want to go outside and do a longer route and I know there are a number of skaters in Nottingham. I imagine that I will be there until 1600 or dark.

SteRit
Gumbie
Gumbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Leicester Skaters website

Postby SteRit » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:06 am

I am not coming to Nottingham now as I need to stay in Manchester. I will be at the Ashton Cycle Circuit though from 1300 to 1500.

JasonN
Gumbie
Gumbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:54 am

Re: Leicester Skaters website

Postby JasonN » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:09 pm

The Leicester Skaters website has now integrated with Facebook!

Image

You can now use your Facebook login details to log into the Leicester Skaters website without having to create a new account.

Quick and easy!

(Don't worry, your password is not shared with us)

gummidge
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden
Posts: 5690
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:50 am
Location: SkateBitch Towers

Re: Leicester Skaters website

Postby gummidge » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:55 pm

Is it true that you've bought the domain leicestersquares.co.uk?

JasonN
Gumbie
Gumbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:54 am

Re: Leicester Skaters website

Postby JasonN » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:06 pm

gummidge wrote:Is it true that you've bought the domain leicestersquares.co.uk?


negative

JasonN
Gumbie
Gumbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:54 am

Re: Leicester Skaters website

Postby JasonN » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:48 pm

Leicester Skaters Facebook page: www.facebook.com/LeicesterSkatersUK


Return to “General skating”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests