Best tips for a noob

Tips and advice on both skating gear and technique

Moderator: Traffic warden

Dragonfly
Gumbie
Gumbie

Best tips for a noob

Postby Dragonfly » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:22 pm

Hi guys, I have just taken delivery of my first pair of inline skates and can't wait to start falling, I mean skating... Any good tips from your own experiences for a noob. I was told by a mate that the most important thing is to keep your legs bent and back straight.

Eviltwin
New school
New school

Re: Best tips for a noob

Postby Eviltwin » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:06 pm

Where abouts are you?
You dont have to take lessons but it is an easy and fast way to get started.

Your legs should be bent, so that if you look down you can not see the front of your skates.
Your back should be like when you are typing e.g. that your midle is upright and your sholders are forwards.
Keep your arms infront of you like a zomby.

A good tip is to start on the grass and once you get a feel for that then move to some smoth concreat.

swmlon
Power slider
Power slider

Postby swmlon » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:46 pm

As noted, bending your knees are key and accept/embrace the fact you are going to fall over, for me this was the hardest part. Oh yeah, and head up, i spent a lot of time earlier on looking down at the ground in front of me for anything I might trip over instead of looking up. I ended up skating into people more than tripping over little things on the ground.

Dragonfly
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby Dragonfly » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:49 pm

Thanks for the advise, will certainly start on the grass ;) .

I live in Southfields, a friend of mine mentioned that I should check out Battersea Park on Saturdays, apparently many skates about and a good place to get practice.

Sparky
New school
New school

Postby Sparky » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:55 pm

Dragonfly
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby Dragonfly » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:02 am

Cheers Sparky, beeb says gonna rain this Saturday but if it doesn't I'll be there.

I'm happy to report back that I have spent about two hours on my skates tonight and only landed on my behind 4 times. I started off on the grass as advised but soon got bored of that, then I moved to tar... I must say the wrist guards I bought definitely was a good investment. I only started falling as I got more ambitious but I guess that's how it works 'ey 8) I did find that as I started off I tended to lift my feet off the ground in semi-walking style which I suppose is just a natural response, then figured out that keeping them practically on the ground all the time was the best thing to do and then it really seemed so much easier.

GumbieBEN
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby GumbieBEN » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:05 am

www.londonskaters.com has a lot of good advice on it.

evilzzz
New school
New school

Postby evilzzz » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:43 pm

I think the best advice is just to try to skate with other people as much as you can. You learn much faster when you skate with others (and have more fun to boot, too!). You can take take lessons, or equally just totter around in the park, meet other skaters, and picking things up from them. Enjoy!

Torbaydos
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Torbaydos » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:02 pm

Fall forwards. Do this on grass first so you are used to falling. If you find yourself overbalancing backwards dive to the ground on your knees and hands

Don't take any advice from anyone who doesn't skate well themselves

Wear lycra

Becca
New school
New school

Postby Becca » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:26 pm

Torbaydos wrote:Fall forwards. Do this on grass first so you are used to falling. If you find yourself overbalancing backwards dive to the ground on your knees and hands

Don't take any advice from anyone who doesn't skate well themselves

Wear lycra

Best piece of advice you'll ever get: Ignore Torbaydos.

Lycra is gay.

Funnily enough I never fall forwards - it's a very inline skater thing to do (whilst wearing knee pads), which is why it's the ICP approved method. I started as an artistic quad skater and we were taught to fall backwards onto our arses - much safer when you're not wearing any pads (and no, I've never hit my head doing this). So, if you're wearing pads, definitely fall forwards. If you're not wearing pads, then on the arse in the way to go.

Dragonfly
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby Dragonfly » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:36 pm

Becca wrote:Lycra is gay.

Damn right!

If you're not wearing pads, then on the arse in the way to go.

Totally agree with you Becca, my right knee bears testimony to that...

Me being my over confident self thought that I would be able to skate up a driveway last night after just my second day on skates, didn't take into consideration the lip where the driveway meets the tarmac, needless to say I fell forward. *Note to self: MUST BUY KNEE PADS!* Lets just say taking a shower last night was...uhm...tricky :cry:

aTMsA
Power slider
Power slider

Postby aTMsA » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:32 pm

Becca wrote:on the arse in the way to go.
Agree, but what does that have to do with skating?

Dragonfly wrote:*Note to self: MUST BUY KNEE PADS!* Lets just say taking a shower last night was...uhm...tricky :cry:
Yes, and also get yourself wrist pads, its pretty easy to break your wrists unconciously trying to stop the fall with your hands.

You can also get elbow pads, helmet, and even bum padding, but i'd say both above are the most important ones.

Dragonfly
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby Dragonfly » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:51 pm

aTMsA wrote:Yes, and also get yourself wrist pads.

Got wrist pads, they have come in pretty handy so far.

Wild Phil
New school
New school

Postby Wild Phil » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:18 pm

whether you decide to fall forwards or backwards, remember to bend your knees and stay flexible when you are actually skating. beginners falling backwards is often down to them beign too rigid and standing too upright imo.

Toby
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Toby » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:56 pm

Actually, the best way to fall is to roll and dissipate the energy- if you go straight down, where-ever it is on your body, you are ready for pain.
Trouble is with pads, you get better and then take them off, but then you need to relearn how to fall.

There is a youtube vid somewhere of 70's roller skaters doing rolls from a fall. Cant be bothered to find it though.

PeterC
New school
New school

Postby PeterC » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:54 am

Toby wrote:Trouble is with pads, you get better and then take them off, but then you need to relearn how to fall.

Same for ice skating (land floppy, slide then brace for the boards), and ramps (land floppy then slide), how you fall should depend on the surface too, it is kind of hard to remember that at the point of stacking though. Ho hum.

Torbaydos
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Torbaydos » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:26 pm

PeterC wrote:
Toby wrote:Trouble is with pads, you get better and then take them off, but then you need to relearn how to fall.

Same for ice skating (land floppy, slide then brace for the boards), and ramps (land floppy then slide), how you fall should depend on the surface too, it is kind of hard to remember that at the point of stacking though. Ho hum.

Not like the guy at Berlin who Pondo stacked into - who slid for 30 metres on his unpadded knees rigid in a straight line

I know this because he overtook my pace line!

wotnobrakes
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby wotnobrakes » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:14 pm

Dragonfly wrote:
aTMsA wrote:Yes, and also get yourself wrist pads.

Got wrist pads, they have come in pretty handy so far.

Pads, helmet, skates, GSOH, Battersea Park tomorrow, job's a good'un!

fatoldhippy
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby fatoldhippy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:22 pm

As a noob only marginally ahead of you I found:

1. Read and watch vids obsessively. My favourites so far are londonskaters.com and http://www.inlineonline.co.uk/tips.htm, and here for best-of-breed tech advice. Practice the drills they show you - one-foot balance is key. Learn to stop as many ways as you can. Learn to heelbrake well, then do others.

2. Find practice places (smooth, flat or with some minor gradients with safe runoffs). Easy ones to get to so you can fit in skates any time (lunchtime at work for me). Skate as much as you can (I get withdrawl if less than twice a week, and that's not really enough). Do everything you can to make skating easy if you have limited time.

3. Get a lesson when you feel ready. A good teacher takes you forward a long way fast.

4. Set a goal. For me it's basic competent streetskating without p*ssing anyone off, on a proper streetskate.

5. Stretch yourself sometimes. Be prepared to be reminded how rubbish you are outside your comfort zone (and wear pads!), and work on fixing it.

Sven
Power slider
Power slider

Postby Sven » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:46 pm

In reply to Becca's comments about falling on your arse. I thought that was a no no as it could be risky business for you back??

Return to “Technique, Tips and Equipment”