Skating in the rain at night

Tips and advice on both skating gear and technique

Moderator: Traffic warden

jdb197
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Skating in the rain at night

Postby jdb197 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:41 pm

I do allot of skating at night and often in the rain, but I've had the following issues seeing and being seen.

1. I tried fixing lights to my skates, Rollerblade RB-8s, but although I used high quality bike lights but they fell apart with the vibrations and drops of the curb, after only 30 minutes. I was hoping to be able to light up the ground with lights on the skates so that you don't get a nasty surprise when you can't see pot holes on a dark street. This is especially the case when simultaneous avoiding pedestrians or cars and so can't spend too much time focusing on the ground. Any suggestions?

2. I also found that lights on the front of my body sometimes made ground visibility worse, particularly when its raining and I'm wearing glasses. I use small rubber lights that fix to my body with a short piece or elastic cord unfortunately they are not directional and so shine some light up therefore making it even harder for me to see the ground. I haven't found any decent lights that can easily be fixed to a strap or my jacket that are directional and don't reduce the visibility of the ground.

3. Does any one know a good way to reduce the effect of the rain on glasses so that I can still use them in the rain. Normally after 5 minutes they become so covered in drops they are worse on then of. Is there a special coating for glasses.

DarrenR1100
Gumbie
Gumbie

Re: Skating in the rain at night

Postby DarrenR1100 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:06 pm

I dont know about the lights, but use a product called Rain X on your glasses, you can get it at Halfords or Hein Gericke motor bike stores. It works pretty well on the visor of my crash helmet
Darren

Mick
New school
New school

Postby Mick » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:43 pm

I find the best way is to carry a torch in my hand, easy to point it where you want. With a really bright one you can even get the oncoming cars to dip their headlights. And a flashing red LED bike light clipped to jeans back pocket. When the situation warrants it I velcro a reflective cover onto my back pack too, it's made from an old hi-vis vest.

mit
New school
New school

Postby mit » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:22 am

I would avoid skating at night where there was no street lighting, generally. In the countryside you get cars driving very fast and in the city you get mugged.

Dan B
New school
New school

Postby Dan B » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:24 am

jdb197 wrote:3. Does any one know a good way to reduce the effect of the rain on glasses so that I can still use them in the rain.

Squint

Belfast Brian
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby Belfast Brian » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:46 am

as evidenced by my avatar an led headlight is useful particularly some of them with up to 60 leds per headset. i got mine for about £3 on ebay from china if u dont mind waiting 3 weeks! the light they give is amazing with only 3 aaa batteries.

Mick
New school
New school

Postby Mick » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:21 am

mit wrote:I would avoid skating at night where there was no street lighting, generally. In the countryside you get cars driving very fast and in the city you get mugged.

Rubbish. Depends how and where you do it. Of course you have to be aware of the dangers and not take stupid risks and there are lots of situations where I wouldn't skate, but that's the same for skating generally. One of my regular routes is from Ford station to Yapton village hall where we have our skate dance practice sessions. It's mostly along unlit country roads and across a disused airfield and I have a blast skating it. I make sure I'm highly visible on the road and skate very defensively and I'll dive onto the pavement when necessary, but it's quite possible to do it safely. I've also skated fairly dodgy looking unlit areas in London in the early hours getting to and from roller discos and never really felt at risk. I suspect you're unlikely to be mugged on skates simply because it's a fairly rare sight and by the time your potential muggers have worked out what's going on you're gone, especially if you keep your speed up.

mit
New school
New school

Postby mit » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:14 am

Damn, can't even post a joke on here anymore without having every word dismantled by an old git or a gummidge!

Mick
New school
New school

Postby Mick » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:17 am

:oops: Oops, I'm not very good at jokes.

ono
Power slider
Power slider

Postby ono » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:20 am

jdb197 wrote:2. I also found that lights on the front of my body sometimes made ground visibility worse, particularly when its raining and I'm wearing glasses. I use small rubber lights that fix to my body with a short piece or elastic cord unfortunately they are not directional and so shine some light up therefore making it even harder for me to see the ground. I haven't found any decent lights that can easily be fixed to a strap or my jacket that are directional and don't reduce the visibility of the ground.

I use these http://www.actionbikes.co.uk/cateye-hl-ld130-tl-ld130-light-set.html. They come with belt clips to put on clothes and bags.

mit
New school
New school

Postby mit » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:22 am

Mick wrote::oops: Oops, I'm not very good at jokes.

Hehe no worries, I probably should have put a (y) or :evil: at the end!

Actually I would avoid skating in the rain at all, just because I find it nasty and miserable, and in the rain at night it's even worse! That's what the car, bus, tube, bicycle, <insert other form of transport> is for :)

Mick
New school
New school

Postby Mick » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:20 am

Skating in the rain's a hoot! Not nice if it's too cold, I admit, but you really must try going out in a summer thunderstorm when the rain has washed the roads clean.

Toby
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Toby » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:42 am

I agree with Mit- slowly dithering around on rollerblades in the wet is not my idea of fun!

evilzzz
New school
New school

Postby evilzzz » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:27 pm

Eat more carrots.

Mick
New school
New school

Postby Mick » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:22 pm

Toby wrote:slowly dithering around on rollerblades in the wet is not my idea of fun!

That's why you should bomb around on quads in the wet. I have enjoyed skating in the wet on my inline hockey skates but you do have to be a bit more cautious as the wheels let go more abruptly.

Domsablos
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Domsablos » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:24 pm

Toby wrote:slowly dithering around on rollerblades in the wet is not my idea of fun!

Are you using Storm Surges jdb?

Phil
Old school
Old school

Postby Phil » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:16 am

Some of my most memorable and favourite street skates have been in the dark or in the rain or both, they have mostly been all in well lit areas with me dressed all in black and not carrying any lighting,

As for night time visibility have you thought about getting some of those tinted cycling glasses that help night vision? I think you can get prescription ones.

SkateKitten
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby SkateKitten » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:06 am

Contact lenses rather than glasses?

Personally I've had a lot of fun skating in the rain!

Look no Skywater
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby Look no Skywater » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:52 am

SkateKitten wrote:Personally I've had a lot of fun skating in the rain!

So have I but I've also had two of my longest term injuries (both adductor strains 3 to 6 months) and three big crashes in wet races so take care.

Return to “Technique, Tips and Equipment”