Tips and advice on both skating gear and technique

Moderator: Traffic warden

swmlon
Power slider
Power slider

Fair price for Salomon Crossmax

Postby swmlon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:39 am

Hi everyone,
I've seen a pair of salomon crossmax (I think it's the first one with that army print thing on it) for sale for £55 and was wondering if this is a fair price for such an old pair of skates. The boot and frame are in good condition, the bearings are pretty shot and the insoles will need replacing, but otherwise everything else about the boot is in good order.
What are your thoughts?
(And I'm aware I'm a bit silly for buying a second pair of skates after recently purchasing the PS Evos and still owning but looking to sell a pair of FR1s)

azumi
New school
New school

Re: Fair price for Salomon Crossmax

Postby azumi » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:23 pm

When they are in good condition and they fit you, it's a good price.

jipe
Power slider
Power slider

Postby jipe » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:56 pm

The price depends a lot of the condition. Check the inner boot, the foam is not very robust.

The first model has a frame with rockering allowing to mount either 2x76+2x80mm wheels or 4x80mm wheels. Later models do not have the rockered frame.

Doug
Old school
Old school

Postby Doug » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:29 am

It's up to you & the kind of skating you want to do.
Even in today's market, they're still a good, comfortable & rugged all round boot. I'd happily consider them if I was back on the market for a pair (bias alert - I've not owned anything else since the FSK range came out).

If you want to be anal, it's quite common for a crack to form on the back of the cuff just either side of the heel rivet, however that shouldn't present any problems. It normally appears after only a few months of use.
Pic

jipe wrote:The price depends a lot of the condition. Check the inner boot, the foam is not very robust.
That's the first time I've heard that before. Never had any issues myself...
I presume you're talking about the heel block?

jipe wrote:The first model has a frame with rockering allowing to mount either 2x76+2x80mm wheels or 4x80mm wheels. Later models do not have the rockered frame.

IIRC, the first one's had a standard 247 frame. I first recall the EA-R Hi-Lo frame on the red Crossmax 2's.
Could be wrong, it was a while ago.

Xmax
Xmax 2

swmlon
Power slider
Power slider

Postby swmlon » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:18 am

Well, I decided to pull the trigger to buy them at £55 and gave them a spin yesterday night after putting on some new bearings and slightly worn Hyper Concretes and from the short skate I would have to say they are fantastic and I can mount 4x80mm wheels, although the 76-76-80-80 is quite interesting and took some getting used to.
I think I have found my replacement for my ill-fitting Seba FR1's for street skates and I can leave me Evo's for the friendly confines of parks.
[* Thanks to Wild Phil for the bearings and new wheels (which will go on the Evo's), he came through quicker than any else place on the internet and better price too*]

jipe
Power slider
Power slider

Postby jipe » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:55 am

What I mean is that the foam settles quickly and loses its elasticity.

If you can mount 4x80mm wheels, it means that you have the 247 EAR frame like on the picture below (but the boots are Deemax):

swmlon
Power slider
Power slider

Postby swmlon » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:45 am

What do you mean the foam loses it's elasticity?

Yup, those look like just the frames that are on my skates

jipe
Power slider
Power slider

Postby jipe » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:21 pm

swmlon wrote:What do you mean the foam loses it's elasticity?

Yup, those look like just the frames that are on my skates

That the foam become flat.

If you are able to put the frame in 4x80mm flat configuration, it must be like that. The other version is always in hi-lo = 76-76-80-80 configuration, the two front axles are like the two rear axles of the picture.

Look no Skywater
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby Look no Skywater » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:32 pm

Doug wrote:
jipe wrote:The first model has a frame with rockering allowing to mount either 2x76+2x80mm wheels or 4x80mm wheels. Later models do not have the rockered frame.

IIRC, the first one's had a standard 247 frame. I first recall the EA-R Hi-Lo frame on the red Crossmax 2's.
Could be wrong, it was a while ago.

Xmax
Xmax 2

Well you were just out of nappies then. Xmax 1 & 2 had 237 or 247 EA-R depending on the length of the boot. Rockerable front 2 axles. Had to wait all the way to the 3VSl for the next rockerable frame (front and back axles)

Middle ones had the stupid fixed HiLo as did all the alu framed FSKs that weren't Xmaxs

Anyway the photo of these ones shows the EA-R frame.

swmlon
Power slider
Power slider

Postby swmlon » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:40 pm

It takes some getting used to skating between the xmax and evo's, they both fit very differently and ride differently. I've fallen a couple of times already when on the xmax. Just something to get used to I guess (skating on them, not falling down)

Doug
Old school
Old school

Postby Doug » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:49 pm

They may have been custom builds by CBR, but my first Deemax 1s were EA-R.

matty
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby matty » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:06 pm

swmlon wrote:It takes some getting used to skating between the xmax and evo's, they both fit very differently and ride differently. I've fallen a couple of times already when on the xmax. Just something to get used to I guess (skating on them, not falling down)

Wow this takes me back.... I loved my xmax 2's, ( i had xmax 2, 3's 4's and 3vsl's) what a salomon geek i was... oh well...
(Cedy was it you that bought my xmax3's??)

swnlon: I'm surprised the difference between the skates has made you fall? the high-lo rig on the xmax's shouldn't be a thing that'll be very noticable at all, certainly you shouldn't be falling??

if you look at the UFS sole plate on the Xmax it's flat inspite of the wheel sizing, not like a twister or an Evo that is truly a HI-LO "booted" skate, ie the toe is lower than the heel...

unless you're missing the shock absorber block from the heel and its making you heel heavy in your salomons, so you're falling backwards??
Last edited by matty on Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swmlon
Power slider
Power slider

Postby swmlon » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:19 pm

matty wrote:
swmlon wrote:It takes some getting used to skating between the xmax and evo's, they both fit very differently and ride differently. I've fallen a couple of times already when on the xmax. Just something to get used to I guess (skating on them, not falling down)

Wow this takes me back.... I loved my xmax 2's, ( i had xmax 2, 3's 4's and 3vsl's) what a salomon geek i was... oh well...

swnlon: I'm surprised the difference between the skates has made you fall? the high-lo rig on the xmax's shouldn't be a thing that'll be very noticable at all, certainly you shouldn't be falling??

if you look at the UFS sole plate on the Xmax it's flat inspite of the wheel sizing, not like a twister or an Evo that is truely a HI-LO "booted" skate, ie the toe is lower than the heel...

unless you're missing the shock absorber block from the heel and its making you heel heavy in your salomons, so you're falling backwards??

Of course, it could just be I'm not that good a skater :cry:

matty
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby matty » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:38 pm

swmlon wrote:
matty wrote:

if you look at the UFS sole plate on the Xmax it's flat inspite of the wheel sizing, not like a twister or an Evo that is truely a HI-LO "booted" skate, ie the toe is lower than the heel...

Of course, it could just be I'm not that good a skater :cry:

stop winge-ing and get out and skate :evil:

swmlon
Power slider
Power slider

Postby swmlon » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:40 pm

Let me finish work in 50 minutes then I will :evil:

swmlon
Power slider
Power slider

Postby swmlon » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:50 am

Well, it's been fun skating on these since I have bought them. It weird, when compared to my Evo's, I find myself on my outside edges a lot more on these, but's it good, I got some nice bright blue frames for them which is good.

But, as someone else noted, the liner I think quite worn and thin in places, I was just wondering if anyone had idea's for replacement liners that I could use and where to buy them (does CBR or Slick Willies stock liners I could try). I put the liners from my FR1 in and they were not too bad, but I'm looking to sell those so that's not a permanent solution.

And does anyone know where to buy the Seba Balance liners which look pretty good to my eyes.

Mentally Dull
New school
New school

Postby Mentally Dull » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:38 pm

swmlon wrote:Well, it's been fun skating on these since I have bought them. It weird, when compared to my Evo's, I find myself on my outside edges a lot more on these,

that's because the frames have a 10 degree cant on the FSKs...

Matty wrote:if you look at the UFS sole plate on the Xmax it's flat inspite of the wheel sizing, not like a twister or an Evo that is truely a HI-LO "booted" skate, ie the toe is lower than the heel...

not true. the Xmax has a 10mm heel riser inside the boot, your foot position is exactly the same. HiLo is when your entire foot is actually tilted forwards.

Cedy
New school
New school

Postby Cedy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:26 pm

Yes in FSK's the boot gives you the heel rise to compensate for the flat UFS frame.
Matty: I did buy my Xmax 3's off you yes, long time ago!
I then had, some sweet salomon 5 wheelers, the original seba highs, twisters, 3VSL, and then went a bit crazy building custom twisters and that's been my skates ever since 3years or so.

Return to “Technique, Tips and Equipment”