Replacement liners for Twister

Tips and advice on both skating gear and technique

Moderator: Traffic warden

azumi
New school
New school

Replacement liners for Twister

Postby azumi » Sun May 08, 2011 2:45 pm

I am looking for proper replacement liners for Rollerblade Twister. I know, I know that's kind of mission impossible since Rollerblade does not sell them as spare parts, clearly the CEOs are threatened of a catastrophically increase of income and even worse happy customers who might be tempted buying more than once in a life time. Hence I do need alternate liners which fits - before I buy a new pair of Twister, take out the liners, kill an innocent nerdy skate shop clerk with the rest of the skates and in court accuse Rollerblade of turning me into a criminal due to their incompetent CEOs.

Please make recommendations only if you had personal experiences with that matter. Rumors won't help!
Thank you.
Last edited by azumi on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Herb
Power slider
Power slider

Re: Replacement liners for Twister

Postby Herb » Sun May 08, 2011 9:28 pm

My friend replaced his liners with RB Fusion ones for better comfort. I know, these aren't available either :x but Blank liner, sold separately, have the same shape and height, so i'm sure it will fit. It's quite expensive and not widely available, so maybe it's better idea to try Seba ones.

Take a look at this mod:

Modded Twisters

I know it's the old shell, but modern is the same shape, with more holes. FR1 liner is high enough, despite the v-cut.

mit
New school
New school

Postby mit » Sun May 08, 2011 10:54 pm

I have tried a few 'aftermarket' liners but found various problems fitting them into the boots. In the end I bought another pair of twisters (n)

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Mon May 09, 2011 10:07 am

Okay, this modded Twister looks promising. Guess I should try the Seba liners; when I find the proper size. But where would I get this blank RB liners? o.O

Herb
Power slider
Power slider

Postby Herb » Mon May 09, 2011 2:46 pm

Unfortunately, all online retailers that sell Rollerblade Blank liners are in USA... so don't bother and try Seba liners. Eventually, Sifika Chicago (high cut one) is an option - these are used in Powerslide Metro, which shell is clone of Twisters. But Chicago liner isn't as good as Rollerblade ones, in terms of materials used, and it's warmer in it :/

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Mon May 09, 2011 6:58 pm

Herb, No biggy, I would also consider to order from the USA. Please tell me some retailers.

Are you 100% sure that Sifika Chicago liners are used for Powerslide Metro?
http://www.hedonskate.com/liners-c-2/si ... -7595.html oh is that size chart proper? EU 43 = 26,5 cm ???

Ain't Sifika is a subbranch of Powerslide?

jipe
Power slider
Power slider

Postby jipe » Mon May 09, 2011 9:33 pm

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Mon May 09, 2011 10:45 pm

jipe, they look interesting. But I don't know if they fit into Twister. I have written them an email.

Herb
Power slider
Power slider

Postby Herb » Tue May 10, 2011 11:22 pm

azumi wrote:Are you 100% sure that Sifika Chicago liners are used for Powerslide Metro?

Ain't Sifika is a subbranch of Powerslide?

Yes i'm 100% sure, just different coloured and v-cut version, this version was used only in Metro afaik, just like one you posted was used only in Throne UFS Evo Glow, and there was exclusive purple version in Throne UFS 09 to match color of the skates. Metro ones are closest to:

http://www.aggressivemall.com/Sifika-Ch ... hicago.htm

but with more black instead of white. Metro 2011 have the same liner, but no longer produced under Sifika brand. And yes, Sifika is sub-brand of Powerslide, specialized in liners and shoes. And i'm sure EU 43 is 28cm, because it's my size and i still use Sifika Chicago from my old Metro 09 skates in new RB Fusion 84 - Rollerblade liner was too thin for me in one area and skating was quite painful.

Anyway, if you have nothing against ordering liners from USA:

http://www.bakerized.com/index.php?main ... ts_id=1965

http://www.aggressivemall.com/Rollerbla ... -blank.htm

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Wed May 11, 2011 11:32 am

Herb and jipe, thank you both very much for your guidance.^^

I did order the Rollerblade Blank liners. The clerk told me that these liners fit into Rollerblade Fusion, hence he believes they will fit into Twister as well.

I will get back to you soon.

Bebai
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Bebai » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:26 pm

azumi wrote:Herb and jipe, thank you both very much for your guidance.^^

I did order the Rollerblade Blank liners. The clerk told me that these liners fit into Rollerblade Fusion, hence he believes they will fit into Twister as well.

I will get back to you soon.

Hey azumi n the guys....lol. I know this thread is pretty old but I tot I'd just ask my question here instead of starting a new thread abt the same issue. I've also got a pair of twisters and I was wondering if the blank liners worked out well for u.

http://www.aggressivemall.com/Rollerbla ... -blank.htm

Plus I wanna know exactly how the seba fr liners work with the twisters. My twisters are size Uk8 and I tried a seba fr liner in size uk9 n it didn't quiet fit. At the risk of sounding dumb....lol. Should I hv gotten a liner in size 8 instead of 9 :oops: ?
Lemme know pls...thanx

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:00 pm

Oh the RB Blank liners did NOT fit. The sole is way too thick and hard! Plus the quality of the padding and sewing is very poor.

Bebai, FR liners fit into the Twister shell. However they need to be modified. Have a look at my tutorial here, http://azumi.50webs.com/Twister/FR.htm

So, in your case you need FR liners size UK8 = EU42. About my tutorial, keep in mind the photos show my very first operation. :D Now I would cut 1 cm less away on the outside area. Also I did remove the inside rubber bands of the tongue 'cause the Twister shell is more narrow than FR.

Good luck. And don't worry the FR liners are very resistant. I did wash mine before making the operation. I still roll with them, tho I need new insoles mine are worn off. :)

Bebai
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Bebai » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:16 pm

Thanx a lot azumi. Like u, I'm really loving my twisters the most at the moment and I couldn't help but worry when I noticed that I couldn't find spare parts.

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:55 pm

Bebai, you're welcome. :)

Please don't hesitate to show me some pictures once you have replaced the liners.

Bebai
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Bebai » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:12 pm

Yea will do :)

Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby 577473 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:16 am

Old thread, but i want to share my experience. It might help someone in the future.

Who am i? not a really good skater, but improving. I started like a year and a half ago (but i only skate on weekends). I do some basic slalom tricks, a few slides. I skate rockered unless on a upward / "uphill" route.. But i try to know everything i can about something i'm interested in and i always customize my stuff until satisfied.

I replaced the original Twister 80 2011 (size US10) "5 star fit liner" with a "USD Phoenix" Liner (size US10. NOT the one with the A-Top closure system).

It served my purpose but it is not a direct equivalent. I have to say that i replaced it because i had heel lift (probably related to that i ordered half size bigger than i should) and some excesive pressure in laterall areas with the original and wanted to have a snugger fit (the phonix has more padding and it's not as soft as the orginial). So, that means that if you had tight fit with the original liner, then the phoenix won't work cause the internal space will be too small.

Other thing, The twister has the shock absorber, the phoenix has thicker sole, an integrated shock absorber in the sole itself and the insole it's also thicker. This whole combination means that your heel will be lifted too much or so it was for me. I mean, at first it helped me with some slalom tricks when i was in a smooth surface, but with rough one or while skating i felt too unstable.

So, my final setup:
* Replaced the shock absorber with some foam that i had around that is much softer and half the thickness.
* The phoenix liner,
* replaced original insole with my orthopedic insoles (flat foot)

Warning: After some experiments and an injure in my ankle (long story, but it was with another setup) i ended up cutting (yeah) a corner (like 2cm x 2cm) from the shell. Basically the area that's near the inner side of the ankle to relief the pressure. So, since the padding of the phoenix is thicker there will be more pressure around the ankle (well around the whole foot, except the toes).

Warning 2: I don't think that the twister shell will accept a bigger phoenix size than the one of the shell itself.

kowalski
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby kowalski » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:58 am

To confirm, you say you cut a piece from the shell, you mean the outer plastic shell of the boot? And, if so, would you expect that to have a negative effect on the durability of the boot under pressure?

Peace,

kowalski

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:54 pm

I have now a new procedure. I do not cut the liners anymore. For a Twister shell size 41 you need a Seba FR liner in size 40. So you go one size down. But that is no problem since Seba liners are larger anyway. After that you need to use a metal rod (in my case a barbell) to apply pressure into the heel. So you put the metal rod inside the boot hitting the heel for a day or so. After time the liner will adapt to the heel shape. And of course roll with them. Also you must cut out all those elastic bands! Otherwise the liners won't fit due to the better padding.

Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby 577473 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:16 pm

kowalski wrote:To confirm, you say you cut a piece from the shell, you mean the outer plastic shell of the boot? And, if so, would you expect that to have a negative effect on the durability of the boot under pressure?

Peace,

kowalski

I will link some pictures later, but yes, i cut the plastic shell. No, i don't think it will have a negative effect on the durability, but how you cut it might affect. What i mean is.. you have to make sure to do round cuts, because if you do straight ones, there will be a single strain point where the cuts meet, which will probably lead to a rip in the future.

some graphics(i assure you i skate better than i draw):

WARNING: However i cannot recommend / encourage anyone to cut their shells. It was the solution to my problem and i was willing to take the risk. I do not skate aggressively, but due to my weight (almost 80 Kg.) i believe i put some stress to the skates.
------------------

UPDATE: PICTURES facebook album:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 8a8d2646c9

kowalski
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby kowalski » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:47 pm

Wow.

Thanks for the links and pixies. I am not brave enough or desperate enough to attack my boots like that ... yet.

I do have some discomfort that I'm addressing using other methods though. I will start another thread to document that.

Peace,

kowalski

Return to “Technique, Tips and Equipment”