Help: Seba FR1 stability

Tips and advice on both skating gear and technique

Moderator: Traffic warden

tbo
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Help: Seba FR1 stability

Postby tbo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:11 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first post here so excuse me for my english and ignorance.

I bought a Seba FR1 last year (old model) and it's under my bed since then. Reason is, I'm scared to use it.

I used to have an Aeroblade back in 1996 and haven't skated since then. So I decided to get back on track and bought Seba FR1.

After buying it I noticed that most of my friends prefer 100mm / 90mm wheels.. and they use them for stairs and freeskating. I'm not sure if that was psychological or not, but my legs keep shaking when I'm using my Seba.. specially when I gain some speed.

So I'm thinking of buying a Gt90 frame for my Seba FR1 and some bigger wheels, but that's expensive. So before I spend all that money I decided to bring my humble %%% here and ask for some counseling. Is it me or 243mm frame is really dangerous for speed? Should I buy a bigger frame or should I just take some falls before I get used to it?

Thanks

Doug
Old school
Old school

Re: Help: Seba FR1 stability

Postby Doug » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:43 pm

It's you.

By all means, a longer wheel-base will provide you with more stability but it will also cost you maneuverability. Many people (& unless thigs have dramatically changed since I used to skate frequently, most people) freeskate on Seba's & other shorter framed skates, using 80mm wheels & smaller, without issue.
Personally, I've never used anything larger than 80s on 247mm frames.

Unless you're doing some serious speeds (30-40mph+), speed wobble is largely due to a lack of muscle & experience. If you feel wobble starting, breath out slowly & relax.

tbo
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby tbo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:54 pm

I don't think it's the wheel size since I had smaller wheels on my rollerblade, but the frame size. I just don't think I'm safe when I'm fast .. it's stressful. But thanks for the tip!

Doug
Old school
Old school

Postby Doug » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:05 pm

tbo wrote:when I'm fast .. it's stressful.

Exactly. Just relax.
It'll come easier with practice.

tbo
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby tbo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:11 pm

Doug, any suggestion of how to adjust/move the frame to get more stability? I don't know how physics work for skates..

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:04 pm

tbo wrote:Reason is, I'm scared to use it.

I'm not sure if that was psychological or not, but my legs keep shaking when I'm using my Seba.. specially when I gain some speed.

tbo, what are you scared about? and how fast are you rolling?

In general, if you have a flat-setup (80-80-80-80) you have the most stable setup possible. All you need is practice! At first at low speed and after time you can slowly accelerate your pace.

If you are afraid to hit the ground, better get some protection equipment. That will also help you psychologically.

tbo
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby tbo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:00 am

U don't have to be too fast to fall while skating in brazil.... there are holes bigger than my skate =P

Doug
Old school
Old school

Postby Doug » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:49 am

tbo wrote:U don't have to be too fast to fall while skating in brazil.... there are holes bigger than my skate =P

Dunno. From my experience, even the roads in Amazonas & Para are in better shape than those in London...

jipe
Power slider
Power slider

Postby jipe » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:30 am

The Seba FR1 with 4x80mm wheels on a 243mm frame is stable. Now as already said, a longer frame is more stable.

I think that your problem has to do with confidence, not a real stability issue of your skate, so if you can afford a longer frame, I would advise to buy it and use it until you acquire more confidence. Then you can switch back to the original 243mm frame if you want more maneuverability.

May be one more point about stability, it is not only the frame length that must be taken into account, the frame height has also an influence, i.e. if you take a longer frame but use bigger wheels, you may encounter the same stability problem.

What I would advise is either to buy a longer 4x80mm that can be found at a very low price nowadays (you should look at eBay for that) or if you go for the Seba GT 4x90mm frame which is a short 4x90mm frame, put your 80mm wheels on it and not 90mm wheels. If you also want bigger wheels, try to find a longer 4x90mm wheels frame (be careful with that because most 4x90mm frames have a 195mm spacing while the Seba boot and frames have a 165mm spacing).

Dogtank
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby Dogtank » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:17 pm

Find a hill with a smooth surface, a consistently angled slope and a safe runout. Start rolling at a point where you can confidently roll it out without braking. Move up a couple of meters and roll it again. Keep doing that. When you start to wobble stay at that start height and work on relaxing and letting the wobbles sort themselves out. Repeat until happy, and spend the cash you've saved by not buying new gear on celebratory beers.

ld50
Power slider
Power slider

Postby ld50 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:08 am

To quote myself, regarding frames and wheels: "lower/longer=more stability. Longer=less wheel wobble. Lower=doing more (ei. cornering, drifting, sliding) with less stress on/less effort from the foot/ankle, which=more control."

It depends what kind of skating you're going to be doing, but if you're skating hills, as has been said, a longer frame and smaller wheels will provide more stability. I would get wheel wobble beyond 50km/h on a 4x80 setup, in the 60-70km/h range on a 5x80 setup, and beyond 70km/h on a 5x90 frame with 80mm wheels. I think that it is due to frame alignment on my right skate, but you can see where I'm going with that point.

azumi wrote:In general, if you have a flat-setup (80-80-80-80) you have the most stable setup possible.

I wouldn't agree with that, but it does depend on the type of skating being done, to be fair.

Return to “Technique, Tips and Equipment”