Too upright

Tips and advice on both skating gear and technique

Moderator: Traffic warden

skinner2k3
Gumbie
Gumbie

Too upright

Postby skinner2k3 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:20 am

I seem to be skating too upright, at the roller disco last night I hit the deck no less than 6 times.

Would raising the heel work to force me forward? Or is it simply a technique thing I need to iron out with practice?

Thanks

Doug
Old school
Old school

Re: Too upright

Postby Doug » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:53 am

Sounds like someone needs to learn to bend their knees more.

Acidedge
Old school
Old school
Location: Nottingham. That's "north" for you southern chimps.

Postby Acidedge » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:07 am

Make sure heel strap is tight. Make sure cuff strap is fairly tight: you should be able to wedge a finger down there (said the actress to the bishop). Bend knees until shins are pushing against tongue of liner. Weight should be on balls of feet, not heels or toes. Don't clench your toes, which you shouldn't be doing if you're bending your knees enough.

skinner2k3
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby skinner2k3 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:32 am

Ah hadnt thought of the tightness of the boots. Mine are all lace up, but will pay more attention to that next time. I dont think they were over or under tightened. Just comfortable.

I will try to bend my knees more in future, thanks.

Hope I havent done too much damage to my knee already!

Inl9er
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby Inl9er » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:38 pm

Bend your knees and lean forward to the direction of the outgoing leg( which are going out at a diagonal, legs shouldn't be going directly forward in your stride). Funny thing is as you first started skating, you have to keep reminding yourself to lean fwd but once you get the hang of things then u start getting more upright... Standing and slowing down..

Use a good knee pad!

Bella83
Old school
Old school

Postby Bella83 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:21 pm

It's all about more knee bend, having had a total centre of gravity change, the best way I've found is to bend the knees

Dan B
New school
New school

Postby Dan B » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:20 pm

Inl9er wrote:Bend your knees and lean forward to the direction of the outgoing leg( which are going out at a diagonal, legs shouldn't be going directly forward in your stride)

^ This is great advice for anyone falling over while doing the Conga, but I'm less sure it applies to skating

skinner2k3
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby skinner2k3 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:25 am

Need more practice then, the occasions when I did remember to bend my knees I did find it helped.

I think part of the problem is the venue, its quite small (not a sports hall, more a large function room) and its very popular, they are at capacity (150) most weeks. I am fine when in space but as soon as I catch up with traffic I stand up and coast. Thats when all but one of my falls have happened. Far too many people three abreast holding hands rolling along at less than walking pace!

Cant wait for next year when weather permits skating outside so I can find somewhere to skate at my own pace.

I also need to stop trying to keep up with my wife, both of us havent skated in over 10 years but she has just clicked and picked it up straight away :)

HK47
Power slider
Power slider

Postby HK47 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:14 pm

You can improve your leg strength at home with squats, lunges and plyometrics on a stair, most people have problems being able to just 'skate loose' with knees bent until they build some strength up in the relevant places ;)

skinner2k3
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby skinner2k3 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:09 am

Hopefully strength shouldnt be an issue, other hobby is weight training and only stopped Muay Thai recently :) Need to get used to using muscles in different ways maybe.

I think perhaps I am also putting too much pressure on myself to be as good as I was immediately.

Really enjoying it though so no lack of enthusiasm.

HK47
Power slider
Power slider

Postby HK47 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:07 pm

You'll be fine then, just put in practice ;)

skinner2k3
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby skinner2k3 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:00 pm

Bending knees more worked. Went to the RD last night and did not hit the deck once!

I had decided I would make a habit of checking I could touch my knees, if I couldn't I was too upright and needed to bend knees/lean forward more.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and all the best for the new year.

Return to “Technique, Tips and Equipment”