Tips and advice on both skating gear and technique

Moderator: Traffic warden

NS Jason
Power slider
Power slider

Anyone got a Seba GTX ? quick question

Postby NS Jason » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:55 pm

Does anyone have a Seba GTX?

I've just been wondering about the frame positioning options on it.

If someone could upload a photo of the underside of the boot so I can see where the frame attaches that would be great.

I want to compare frame positioning options to the old GT and the High

Thanks

azumi
New school
New school

Re: Anyone got a Seba GTX ? quick question

Postby azumi » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:19 pm

Forget about the GTX it's a linerless skate. So bottom line, once the integrated liners are worn out you need a new pair. For that money you can get better skates! If you want a GT get the real deal, it cost only what about 30€ more?

The frame positioning options should be the same as for FR2/FRX.

Domsablos
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Domsablos » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:30 pm

Replacement liners cost nearly a third of the price of a new pair of skates tho and thats if you can find any in your size.

It's not like they wear out super quick either, still using my original liners that came with my skates back in 2007, admittedly they are starting to smell a bit and I've worn a hole or two in them.
but honestly i think it's time for new skates rather than just replace the liner.

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:21 pm

Domsablos wrote:Replacement liners cost nearly a third of the price of a new pair of skates tho and thats if you can find any in your size.

That's evidently a figment. Math for you,

new Seba GTX 189€
new Seba GT 229€
new liners 40€

229 / 3 = 76,33€

Shop, bladeville.pl

Keep in mind, the usual price of GT is round 250€ which means you would get 6 pairs of liners.
If you were to buy always new GTX you would pay 6 * 189 = 1134€. So much about economy. But in the end it's your money not mine. 8)

And skating in one pair of skates for over 4 years without replacing the liners sounds to me like you do not skate very often.

jipe
Power slider
Power slider

Postby jipe » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:54 am

azumi wrote:
Domsablos wrote:Replacement liners cost nearly a third of the price of a new pair of skates tho and thats if you can find any in your size.

That's evidently a figment. Math for you,

new Seba GTX 189€
new Seba GT 229€
new liners 40€

229 / 3 = 76,33€

Shop, bladeville.pl

Keep in mind, the usual price of GT is round 250€ which means you would get 6 pairs of liners.
If you were to buy always new GTX you would pay 6 * 189 = 1134€. So much about economy. But in the end it's your money not mine. 8)

And skating in one pair of skates for over 4 years without replacing the liners sounds to me like you do not skate very often.

+1: removable liner won't last that long if you skate often or even only once a week.

And indeed, Seba liners are cheap compared to the price of the complete skate.

I would also recommend the GT instead of the GTX, not because they are linerless but due to the instep band with velcro and frame with two pieces axles of the GTX instead of the instep band with a buckle and one piece of the GT.

Now for high end skate like the Powerslide S4, Hardcore Evo, Seba iGor, KSJ and Trix, no doubt that the linerless is better that the removable liner: better/thinner/harder padding, more accurate skate, closer to the foot and also less heavy boots. I have no experience with the Powerslide boots but the inner microfiber suede material of the new iGor, KSJ and Trix is very strong, much stronger that the inner material of the Seba High, FR and GT liner for instance.

Domsablos
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Domsablos » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:50 pm

I do agree the GT is probably the better skate, as jipe said the ratchet heel buckle makes a big difference compared to velcro in how much your foot moves around relative to your skate.

I still think it's debatable as to how useful replaceable liners are, the link azumi posted has only one size liner in stock. And i'll wait for one of my friends to vouch for the amount of skating i do.

The other issue the GTX might have is that removable liners are all the same quality but once you have a fixed liner the quality might be an issue.

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:47 pm

Domsablos, the standard price for FR liners is 40€ every shop who sells Seba skates have them in store. Above that we can make another calculation,

Seba iGor cost ~ 500€ so you would get 12 pair of liners. 500 * 12 = 6000€. Fair, now you can say one could only buy the boots. However not every shop offers that option. And still boots only cost 300€. So, 300 * 12 = 3600€. Economy, it's all about economy. :) Unless, of course, you are one of those who accumulated too much wealth.

NS Jason
Power slider
Power slider

Postby NS Jason » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:13 pm

Geez, ask a simple question and get a load of elitist wah wah wah.

Firstly I'm not planning on buying one, I just wanted to know what the underside looks like so I can give people another reason to get the full GT rather than the GTX. The ratchet instead of the velcro isn't enough because if you take the time to lace them up properly with good laces you don't even need the ratchet. How many hockey skates do you see with ratchets? that's right, none, because laces done up properly more than make up for it.

Also the price quoted for the shop in poland doesn't account for postage which I am guessing would be a lot to get them to the UK.

It's hard enough getting someone to take the step from cheap plastic crap to actual skates and a price difference of €40 is a lot to them, and no matter how you explain it a lot of people just won't change their minds. If they have a budget that won't stretch to the FR1 or GT (let along high) then I want to be able to inform them of their other options.

Oh and as he asked, Domsablos skates twice a week most weeks (except when he is ill or feeling overly lazy).

Herb
Power slider
Power slider

Postby Herb » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:23 pm

Still, i would get FRX or FR2 instead of GTX. Why?

FR2 - doesn't cost much more, and have: better frame, more durable boot, replaceable liner, better closure, better bearings and is compatible with all FR custom kits and new soulplates.

FRX - cost LESS than GTX, have the same frame, more durable boot, replaceable liner, better bearings and is compatible with all FR custom kits and new soulplates.

seriously? I don't know what Seba wanted to achieve with GTX model. If they were aiming for fitness market, they failed - there are many cheaper and adequate skates for it. GTX won't give you any advantage in freeskating over FRX or FR2, won't be better in slalom than FR2 (the frame...) or GT 80. Imo GTX is a skate that doesn't have niche - if it would cost about the same as FRX, then maybe...

NS Jason
Power slider
Power slider

Postby NS Jason » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:10 am

Isn't the GT lighter than the FR2/FRX?

I assumed they would have similar mounting points to the FR2 but I haven't seen and wanted to confirm. I've got it sorted now. I'll upload a picture when I get chance.

Herb
Power slider
Power slider

Postby Herb » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:17 pm

NS Jason wrote:Isn't the GT lighter than the FR2/FRX?

Even if, does it make much difference? FRX and FR2 are light skates anyway. These aren't bricks...

Lightness of the skate isn't important in slalom as long as it's under 2kg it's ok (don't know about Highs weight, but these look extremely bulky in larger sizes, and yet, people still manage to win competitions in them).

In freeride, stronger boot is MUCH more important than weight.

If someone is looking for light fitness skates - GTX are heavier and less breathable than fitness RB, PS and K2 skates.

Still, i don't see any reason why anyone should buy GTX...

Don't want FRX, don't have money for FR2? Buy PS Metro, they are adequate for slalom and freeride too.

NS Jason
Power slider
Power slider

Postby NS Jason » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:23 am

Keep forgetting my camera, anyway the GTX has a single bolting point in the boot at the front and back, so the only adjustment you can get is through the different slots in the frame.

The powerslide metro does have that creepy creepy face on them though!

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:36 pm

NS Jason wrote:Keep forgetting my camera, anyway the GTX has a single bolting point in the boot at the front and back, so the only adjustment you can get is through the different slots in the frame.

Just like the FRX and FR2 like I assumed. :)

That creepy face is a death dealer.^^

jipe
Power slider
Power slider

Postby jipe » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:38 pm

azumi wrote:
NS Jason wrote:Keep forgetting my camera, anyway the GTX has a single bolting point in the boot at the front and back, so the only adjustment you can get is through the different slots in the frame.

Just like the FRX and FR2 like I assumed.

Not sure that the FR2 2012 have a single hole, I read somewhere that they were upgraded to have multiple holes like the FR1 ?

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:17 pm

jipe wrote:
azumi wrote:Just like the FRX and FR2 like I assumed.

Not sure that the FR2 2012 have a single hole, I read somewhere that they were upgraded to have multiple holes like the FR1 ?

Nah, that can't be. I mean, the only difference from FR2 to FR1 is the multiple holes plate. Even though hardly anyone is using those holes.

inkh0rn
Power slider
Power slider

Postby inkh0rn » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:30 pm

azumi wrote:
jipe wrote:
azumi wrote:Just like the FRX and FR2 like I assumed.

Nah, that can't be. I mean, the only difference from FR2 to FR1 is the multiple holes plate. Even though hardly anyone is using those holes.

Sorry to bump an old(ish) thread, but as a 2012 FR2 owner ;), just thought I'd clarify that the frames are mounted via single holes, like the FRX. Although there is a second hole further towards the toe of the boot - not sure if there's also a second hole at the rear.

I would assume that's so you can fit a longer frame with bigger wheels for faster fun :)

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:29 pm

inkh0rn, interesting. :) Oh and I agree with Herb.

Return to “Technique, Tips and Equipment”