Which Ice Skates

Tips and advice on both skating gear and technique

Moderator: Traffic warden

iChris
Wannabe
Wannabe

Which Ice Skates

Postby iChris » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:28 am

As it looks like another weekend's skating is going to be rained off I was thinking of getting a pair of Ice Skates and go Ice Skating instead. The reason I'm thinking of buying a pair is that:

A) the hire skates are terrible
B) I live about 20 mins away from an Ice rink so I'm sure they'll get plenty of use over the "Summer".

Any top tips?

mit
New school
New school

Re: Which Ice Skates

Postby mit » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:12 am

Make sure you get them sharpened after you buy them. Decathlon used to have some cheap ones (about £40).

Acidedge
Old school
Old school
Location: Nottingham. That's "north" for you southern chimps.

Postby Acidedge » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:12 pm

I bought some cheap rec ice skates once. Very similar to these, but with a hockey blade instead of artistic and adult size, obviously. Bloody horrible. Best go with hockey ice skates. Try second-hand decent model as opposed to dirt-cheap new.

FlatFoot
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby FlatFoot » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:11 pm

If you're in London/ South East could be worth checking what the shop by Brixton Ice Arena (used to be in Streatham) have in stock, seem to hold fair bit of 2nd hand stuff as well as new:
"Address: We're next to Brixton's new ice rink at 53 Brixton Station Rd, SW9 8PQ Tel: 020 7738 7888"

Guess anything 'rec' would be rubbish to skate in - especially compared to your current skates - worth a few extra £s on well made if slightly abused hockey boots you can try on 1st. Or some figure skates..

HK47
Power slider
Power slider

Postby HK47 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:24 pm

Even my first pair of ice skates, £20 ebay specials, were a huge step up from rentals. Anything rec is fine, if you can find some £40 - £60 hockey skates that are comfy then they would be fine for casual skating ... as mentioned above, get them sharpened, even a 1/2" grind will feel like heaven compared to rentals!

Ice skates are a very different kettle of fish compared to inlines, for both buying and skating on ;)

iChris
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby iChris » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:41 am

Thanks everyone for your replies.

From the few people I've spoken to and from the posts here it seems that Hockey skates are the way to go. I found a great video where a guy gives you drills on Ice to help your street skating and he wears hockey skates on the ice (and on the street) rather than figure skates - well worth a watch even if you're not into ice skating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChV9M-6z ... GT&index=1

I've also found a couple of useful videos on selecting a hockey skate which may be of use to someone else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7DGIzG381g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M063vCB6LVU

Shaw
Power slider
Power slider

Postby Shaw » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:16 pm

You could always just convert your inlines to ice skates.

mit
New school
New school

Postby mit » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:38 pm

Cheaper to just buy some ice skates though!

Shaw
Power slider
Power slider

Postby Shaw » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:47 pm

Perhaps, but those are guaranteed to give you a good fit!

HK47
Power slider
Power slider

Postby HK47 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:27 pm

Shaw wrote:Perhaps, but those are guaranteed to give you a good fit!
So are ice skates if you actually try them on before buying, lol

BTW, for reference, taking ice skating lessons is generally easier on figure / leisure skates as the blades have less of a curve so are easier to be smooth on, and the levels you progress through consist of figure moves.

iChris
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby iChris » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:40 pm

HK47 wrote: BTW, for reference, taking ice skating lessons is generally easier on figure / leisure skates as the blades have less of a curve so are easier to be smooth on, and the levels you progress through consist of figure moves.

Thanks, yes it seems that a hockey skate would be more suited to an advanced/slalom inline skater as the curved blade in more like an inline rockered setup. I'm more of an intermediate inline skater so I think you're probably right in that a figure skate might suit me better at the moment.

HK47
Power slider
Power slider

Postby HK47 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:56 pm

THESE are what I started with, and passed up to SkateUK level 5 on, you can get black covers for just a couple of pounds if the color bothers you, and waxed hockey laces make them easier to live with ... they're ideal if you want something disposable or to use a couple of times a year. If you want to genuinely stick with it, I'd recommend spending a bit more though! ;)

iChris
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby iChris » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:35 am

Thanks HK47, I think you're right!

HK47
Power slider
Power slider

Postby HK47 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:52 am

No problem, I wrote that last post after putting my new ice skates together - Riedell 220 boots with Ultima IV blades ... just waiting for a couple of bits to arrive to finish them off and I'll be giving them a bash ;)

Phil
Old school
Old school

Postby Phil » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:36 pm

One thing to note about Ice Hockey is that it's a massive industry, as such, hockey skate manufacturers push out new skates with new 'innovations' every year and everyone races to get the latest hockey skates and fashions. This means that shops get lumbered with last years models, my hockey skates originally sold for £280, were heat mouldable, removable blades etc but because I bought them the season after they were released they only cost me £80, check out pro-line skates (where I got mine from) and see what they've got discounted ;)

Look no Skywater
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby Look no Skywater » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:39 am

I'd still recommend trying them on though. Ice Hockey skates are usually a size or two smaller than regular shoe sizes depending on the manufacturer. Width can be a significant consideration too.

FlatFoot
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby FlatFoot » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 pm

Look no Skywater wrote:I'd still recommend trying them on though. Ice Hockey skates are usually a size or two smaller than regular shoe sizes depending on the manufacturer. Width can be a significant consideration too.

Definitely, even more important than on inlines I'd say as you're balance & feedback is reliant on a few mm's of blade rather than slightly more forgiving wheels.
You really don't want your feet swimming around & toppling from edge to edge or trying to cling on the centre because the boots are too wide.

iChris
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby iChris » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:30 pm

That's good advice. I have tried a few pairs on and wasn't happy with any of them even though they were the "correct" size. They didn't have many others in my size just a couple of Reeboks and weren't getting any more in for a while.

PeterC
New school
New school

Postby PeterC » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:37 pm

Was going to post something big about short-track racing, but it will be no use to you what-so-ever, unless your local rink has a club...

But special skates, special blades, special clothes, just well...

Return to “Technique, Tips and Equipment”