New Skate Brake Kickstarter

Tips and advice on both skating gear and technique

Moderator: Traffic warden

bean52777
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

New Skate Brake Kickstarter

Postby bean52777 » Wed May 22, 2013 4:55 pm

I'm putting this under technique because this is a new technique for skating and new equipment at the same time.

My name is Ben Wilson, and I am the inventor of a new inline skate brake. This is unique in that it works more like a bike brake. You can regulate your speed while you skate instead of have to lean back on your heels to stop.

Here's the link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fle ... ine-skates
I've gotten a lot of interest, and we're moving along steadily, but we really need to reach more people. !
Thanks for you time,
Ben Wilson
bean52777@gmail.com

evilzzz
New school
New school

Re: New Skate Brake Kickstarter

Postby evilzzz » Thu May 23, 2013 2:15 pm

Hi Ben, that looks really interesting.

Well done! I hope that this project can gain more traction and backing. It has the potential to do wonders for skating in general.

Have you filed for a patent for it yet?

kowalski
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby kowalski » Thu May 23, 2013 3:18 pm

Who here would buy and use this?

Peace,

kowalski

Bebai
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Bebai » Thu May 23, 2013 4:27 pm

I would...Totally...Good job so far Ben. (y)

Dan B
New school
New school

Postby Dan B » Thu May 23, 2013 6:08 pm

<ancient injoke>It's not as good as the brake brush though is it?</ancient>

Seriously, it reminds me a little of the gatorleash, but it's significantly less uncool. I'd like it for something like L2B, perhaps, but I doubt I'd get that much use from it otherwise.

Good luck with it though

Mikky2
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby Mikky2 » Thu May 23, 2013 7:47 pm

Good luck with it, but I'd advise not to give up the day job for the following reasons:

* Inlining is well past its peak of popularity, probably not declining any more, but now mainly just an adult activity
* The device is seriously uncool
* I mainly only break (T-stop or snow plough) in emergencies, I want my hands ready for protection, not reaching down for a brake

Sorry to be so negative.

Phil
Old school
Old school

Postby Phil » Fri May 24, 2013 12:35 am

Does it catch when riding down curbs?

Personally I would not use one of these as I feel having a leash or anything where I'd need to reach down and grab would compromise my skating style, also yeah it doesn't look cool ;)

*edited* oops some of my original questions when I actually looked at the kickstarter page instead of just the video.

Johnny
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby Johnny » Fri May 24, 2013 9:57 am

Mikky2 wrote:Good luck with it, but I'd advise not to give up the day job for the following reasons:

* Inlining is well past its peak of popularity, probably not declining any more, but now mainly just an adult activity
* I mainly only break (T-stop or snow plough) in emergencies, I want my hands ready for protection, not reaching down for a brake

Sorry to be so negative.

I'm impressed with your design.
Is it a working prototype?

>The device is seriously uncool
I guess adding a motor to the boot (to pull the string) and a remote control in your hand should resolve the uncool issue.
How about targeting downhill skaters?

There is a safety issue that I'm concern with, how do you deal with stones / small object getting jammed into your breaking system?

bean52777
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby bean52777 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:05 pm

Johnny wrote:
Mikky2 wrote:Good luck with it, but I'd advise not to give up the day job for the following reasons:

Sorry to be so negative.

I'm impressed with your design.
Is it a working prototype?

>The device is seriously uncool
I guess adding a motor to the boot (to pull the string) and a remote control in your hand should resolve the uncool issue.
How about targeting downhill skaters?

There is a safety issue that I'm concern with, how do you deal with stones / small object getting jammed into your breaking system?

This is a working prototype as you can see from the video.
The asthetics can definately be improved upon, but that will increase cost. The Flex Brake as you see it on the kickstarter site is barebones and simple for a reason. I want don't want to compromise functionality, add unneccesary weight, or increase the cost just to make the product more marketable or "cool" looking. After all, I'm not a business man or a marketing expert. I'm just a engineer with a great idea that I developed for my own purposes. I see the potential for what this braking system can do to wake up the skating industry. With the increased popularity of larger wheel sizes, skating is turning into something it never was in the skate boom days of the 90's. You can now go long distances at high speeds. I have talked to many people who have gotten into skating again because of this development only to shelve their shiny new high-speed skates because they had no way to control their speed effectively.
Everyone is so focussed on the all mighty dollar, often times great designs are ruined to maximize market share. In all honesty (believe it or not) I simply want other people to enjoy what I have been enjoying. The Flex Brake really does make skating into something new.
To answer your question about objects getting jammed into the brake: This is about as likely as getting something jammed between your wheels and the frame.

Mikky2
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby Mikky2 » Sun May 26, 2013 10:03 am

As a beginner I never took to the heel brake and removed it almost immediately, well before learning how to control speed properly just with the wheels.

No doubt some beginners would (will?) prefer your device to the heel break, but I suspect most would discard it when they get some proficiency in speed control just by pointing wheels away from the direction of motion.

samgoody
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby samgoody » Sun May 26, 2013 6:51 pm

Johnny wrote:How about targeting downhill skaters?

My thoughts exactly. Downhill skating may be a niche market, but it might be worth it to see if any downhill skaters would be willing to test the brakes under the extreme conditions of their sport. You don't need to target them exclusively, but getting the device onto their skates could potentially give your product a boost. If they like it enough to go racing with it (and if there are no regulations against it by a governing body), that would be a great advertisement for your product. Even if they don't go racing with it, having it tested to the extreme can be good publicity if it stands up to the test. Either way, it might go a long way towards convincing some of the skeptics.

I like the fact that your design is simple, and I admire your your ingenuity. Best of luck to you.

inkh0rn
Power slider
Power slider

Postby inkh0rn » Mon May 27, 2013 7:04 pm

I really like the idea of this, Ben. I live in a valley in a town in North-West England, with lots of roads that are great to cycle on but dangerous/impractical for skates for exactly the reasons you explain on your site. I could really see a use for one or even two of these on my larger-wheeled skates.

Maybe if this takes off then you'll be able to market your design to the skate manufacturers, who can then throw in their combined marketing muscle to helping reach a wider market.

Here in Wigan and in other UK towns/cities, skating seems to be having a major resurgence, albeit due to the resurrection of a number of skating rinks - the market for the venues I'm aware of comprises mostly quad skates (recreational & roller derby in the main) and inline hockey skates. There are very few skaters up here on freeride/slalom skates, and as far as I am aware, even fewer are on speed skates. There are some speed teams in Nottingham/Birmingham and London, I think; not sure if there are more? There seem to be many more inline skaters in the Midlands and Southern UK. Wish there were more up here!

I'd LOVE to have a pair of 100/110mm speed skates with some of these brakes on. However here in the UK speed skates are very hard to buy, and where they are available, cost 2-3 times the equivalent US or Aussie price, due I suspect to import duty/being able to charge more in a niche market...

So, I would definitely be interested in pledging for at least one and a leash (50 Shades of Brake ;) )...but depends on whether I can get any speed skates! Will consider seriously and decide before your finish date on Kickstarter. Best of luck in any case and thanks for your efforts to improve skating :) :) :)

bean52777
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby bean52777 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:40 pm

Thanks inkhOrn! I'm sorry to hear how tough it is to get skates in England. That surprises me. There is a facebook page for scaters in Nottingham skaters I believe. Skates are available online in the US, but they have all but dissappeared from the local sporting goods stores. I hope I can help to reverse that trend!

Acidedge
Old school
Old school
Location: Nottingham. That's "north" for you southern chimps.

Postby Acidedge » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:44 am

inkh0rn wrote:There are some speed teams in Nottingham...

bean52777 wrote:There is a facebook page for scaters in Nottingham skaters I believe...

We have several quick skaters but we're hardly a speed team!

NottinghamSkaters forum and Facebook page.

Look no Skywater
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby Look no Skywater » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:36 am

I would have thought downhill was the most practical use too. Speedskating, not really a serious tool. Brakes are illegal in full speedskating and speedskating is not about stopping, it is about going and I have met a few world class speed skaters who cannot stop effectively because they have never needed to. They are allowed in open races. However, if I were in a race and had someone braking in front of me I would get them behind me as quickly as possible because that is where the crash will be. No matter what system they use.

Hilly cites have uses for them. The last time I wore a brake not for teaching was Barcelona on the Thursday night hills of death skate, just to save my wheels. This might have been a useful alternative to a heel brake. Needs comparing against a heel brake but I think it would be more effective on a longer skate, eg speed or downhill frame. Heel brakes are very effective otherwise so don't really need reinventing for shorter frames.

Nice to see some innovation though.

Return to “Technique, Tips and Equipment”