Cuffs?!

Tips and advice on both skating gear and technique

Moderator: Traffic warden

ephillips
Beach bum
Beach bum

Cuffs?!

Postby ephillips » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:58 pm

What on earth are you supposed to do with your cuffs when slaloming? Should I do them up fairly tightly? Or just leave them undone as I would when sliding / street skating?

Bebai
Beach bum
Beach bum

Re: Cuffs?!

Postby Bebai » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:15 am

That's a very insightful question ephillps...

Shaw
Power slider
Power slider

Postby Shaw » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:13 pm

Go with whatever you're comfortable with. Personally, I like them tight, but I also keep them tight for street skating and slides, and I don't bother with laces unless I'm preparing for a competition.

Edit: wait, no, that's not right. Loose is understandable, how are you sliding with them completely undone? Wouldn't that make certain slides much harder? Backslide, ern-sui, etc. are fairly taxing on your ankles, and the support of a cuff would definitely help with those.

Doug
Old school
Old school

Postby Doug » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:23 pm

Whenever you need more refined control, it's usually best to tighten everything for increased support & responsiveness. With your boots loose, controlling your edges is harder - in slides you can compensate for this with speed, the position of your weight & increasing the angle of your boot to the ground. This doesn't work quite as well in slalom as you're travelling much slower & need to maintain grip.

It doesn't matter much for basic moves though, as you aren't pushing the limits of your grip as much.

(Disclaimer: This is mostly working from vague memory. The last time I did any serious slalom/skating is now pushing a decade.)

(Decade? Jesus.)

kev0
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby kev0 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:47 am

Personally, I do them tight for control. Slaloming with a loose cuff gets progessively more difficult with higher technical tricks

Return to “Technique, Tips and Equipment”