Bongo

Introduce yourself and ask anything you like about the forum or skating - no question too stupid

Moderator: Traffic warden

bongo
Wannabe
Wannabe

Bongo

Postby bongo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:51 pm

Name: Paul, although most people call me Bongo
Skating since: 95 or 96, although not a lot in the last 10 years.
Skates owned: Bauer Turbo.

I'm lucky enough to live near an indoor rink (Derby) and that's where I mainly skate, I did used to do my paper round on skates though.

I have a couple of questions:

I'm getting my Turbos back into a fit state for indoor skating and wondered if there is anything that might not be obvious I should check up/fix?

Secondly, I'd like to buy a set of inlines for skating outdoors and bit of variety indoors. I'd be using them for general skating, some street skates (once I'm ready) and maybe venture to the local skate park (not a priority, but it seems like it would be fun to try). I've been looking at the Seba FR1/X, is that a good choice? Is the FR1 worth the extra cash?

Acidedge
Old school
Old school
Location: Nottingham. That's "north" for you southern chimps.

Re: Bongo

Postby Acidedge » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:21 am

If you live near Derby then you're not too far from us. We run three weekly skating events which include an indoor session and a street skate. All the details on our website and you can visit our forum.

IMO the FR1s a good option and are worth the extra. I don't currently own either but have taken both apart and the FR1 is much better quality.

Bella83
Old school
Old school

Postby Bella83 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:29 am

A lot of people have FR1 your paying for better quality

SkateKitten
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby SkateKitten » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:17 pm

Hello and welcome :)

Seba's are good skates, well worth the money. I've got the Seba High which are generally considered slalom skates first and street skates second whereas I believe the FR1s are considered street skates first and freestyle second.

bongo
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby bongo » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:56 pm

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

I found the Nottingham skater site and was planning on joining you for some skating, once I've got some skates. I'd join you on my quads but it seems the wheels aren't recommended for indoor use let alone outdoor use (not quite sure how that's possible but never mind).

Inspired by the girl on NS who got some blades for £8 I wonder if I should do that first and buy some better skates if I still like it... I'd probably end up spending 5 times that and getting rubbish though.

Domsablos
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Domsablos » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:13 pm

This is the classic dilemma, buy cheap skates and probably end up convincing yourself that you are not able to skate when an expert could do no better. Or spend a lot, and risk forgetting them at the back of a cupboard somewhere. I don't envy you the choice.

The FRX's are not "cheap" skates and i am sure you would be happy with them, however the other more expensive skates in the Seba range are worth the money.

bongo
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby bongo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:39 am

I'd always be thinking I could have had a more colourful FR1 if I got the FRX I think.

My brother has just bought some Roces inlines (for £40, but his main motivation was saving hire fees when he's dragged to roller world) so I might have a go with them next time and check I don't totally hate it...

I'll probably have plenty of time to mull it over before I can get to a decent shop to try them on, although I reckon I'll probably crack and order them online soon :oops:

Return to “Welcome”