beginner over 50

Introduce yourself and ask anything you like about the forum or skating - no question too stupid

Moderator: Traffic warden

John_London
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

beginner over 50

Postby John_London » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:51 am

Just a quick note to say hi, and share experiences which might be useful for anyone else thinking about starting skating for the first time ever & trying to choose skates etc.

First buy skates. I went to Club Blue Room, glad I did (rather than buying online) as there are really few reviews of skates on the net, also manufacturer's websites are not helpful. and I would probably not have got correct sizing and great comfort by buying online. The guy there looked at my feet, recommended Rollerblade as comfortable for me, and spent a lot of time with me. I bought a pair of Rollerblade Spark Pro, I would not have minded if they cost a bit more than buying online, but they did not, it was cheaper than amazon etc. Plus they give a voucher for a beginner's lesson with http://skateinstructor.com, which was very good. Also had a one-to-one with a skater known on the London scene in exchange for a few beers, and practiced with another, both qualified instructors. Some instruction really makes a difference.

The Spark Pro are super comfortable, and they look good (though the alu frames are pressed and look a bit tinny, & do get scratched up in time). 84mm wheels on the large side maybe for beginner. I wanted a second pair (as I left the first pair in another location where I spend a lot of time), turns out Rollerblade Spark 84 LX are the same skate with slightly different styling. I shopped around. Club Blue Room were still the cheapest I found in UK. I would not order from US. I did find a bargain via German Amazon (may be hard to use though if you don't know the language), but certain sizes only. I guess some German chains sell off all their inline skates at the end of summer. So I ordered from Germany, they came in 3 days and were OK. The Spark Pro say made in China, the Spark 84 LX say made in Vietnam, they seem great though one wheel spins slow, one bearing makes a bit of noise. Not enough to worry me. I would definitely recommend buying in Club Blue Room or maybe your local shop, rather than online. In this case online worked as I knew exactly what model & size I wanted, and I would still have gone to the shop for convenience had I not found a really massive discount.

I'm a slow nervous learner, never had good balance. Learning skiing 3 years back did help, especially helped with confidence (on the basis that I knew if I practice enough I will get it, even it takes me longer than some other people who have skated & skied as kids, etc.). So I just got on the skates almost every day for the past six weeks, sometimes to skate, sometimes just to spend some time getting the feel of them. Now I can skate around town, started going about town (on pavements, not roads) after three weeks on skates in a small town where drivers are patient, though crossing roads is still scary. I keep plimsols tied to my belt so I can always take the skates off if I have to. BTW I had a big fitness gain within first two weeks. It was hard on the thighs, even though I was moderatly fit to start with. You get fit and lose fat without even noticing you are exercising, because you are having fun or concentrating on balance and technique.

I absolutely love it. A great feeling. People on the scene are amazingly friendly even to an incompetent beginner. And pretty women often give me a smile, which I like. It might be with the thought 'look at that wierd old guy, anyway good for him for trying', but I still enjoy it 8)

GumbieBEN
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Re: beginner over 50

Postby GumbieBEN » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:12 am

Welcome to the forum john.... your experience seems to mirror many on here... of course loosing the weight stops when you end up drinking too much in the Vic!!

lurch
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby lurch » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:20 pm

LOL - welcome to the forum John!

Sparky
New school
New school

Postby Sparky » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:42 pm

Welocme to the forum John, have you thought about getting yourself down to the park for the Sunday Stroll.

John_London
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby John_London » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:09 am

thanks for the welcome messages (l)

Sunday stoll has to be a good idea, I imagine it is a safe environment, maybe I could cope.

I started street skating on the continent, asphalt pavements & cycle paths. My first ever journey was Innsbruck airport to town (3 miles), wearing a smart jacket & carrying a small suitcase which I'd used to take my skates & pads in! Starting on ashphalt is recommended, though they cobble-stone the road crossings, maybe as winters are icy.

I'm nervous on London pavements, also London roads as I sometimes topple over, sideways, for no reason, not even a twig... just loss of balance. It is far harder than jumping on a bicylce, isn't it? Still, I have only 6 weeks of skating. Handling the hardest ski pistes plus easy powder has taken me 3 years.

Return to “Welcome”