Another born again inline newbie :)

Introduce yourself and ask anything you like about the forum or skating - no question too stupid

Moderator: Traffic warden

stuRC45
Gumbie
Gumbie

Another born again inline newbie :)

Postby stuRC45 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:04 am

Hi all,
My names Stuart, I used to skate quads (lived in them for a couple of years) as a school kid back in 1979-1980 (when all my mates were on skateboards) and after recently watching my 9 year old skating about on inlines though it would give me a good excuse to get back into it.
Did the usual hunt about on Ebay and came up with some "used twice, owner discovered impacts hurt" great condition Salomon FSK Deflectors, delivered for 15 quid :lol:
First time on them (after a 30 year break), just a quick roll around to see how they fell (got to say the fit on these is exellent), and it's all coming back and I'm just thinking it's funny how your muscle retains memory, then discover it's not that funny when the memory it picks up on next is hitting the toe stops when you spin 180 at speed to stop yourself, I can honestly say I've never had the ground come up at me that fast in my life (and that's despite riding/crashing motorbikes for 30 years), they say you live and learn and I'll certainly try not to forget that one in a hurry!
In saying that, from what I've read since it looks like I bought pretty much the ideal skates for what I want (other than bottling out and just going back on quads), so looking forward to getting involved on Friday nights, though I think pestering some of you folks on techniques for a few Sundays first might be a good idea!

lurch
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Re: Another born again inline newbie :)

Postby lurch » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:08 am

Welcome to the forum stuRC45.

Torbaydos
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Torbaydos » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:35 am

Hi Stuart

I used to skate on quads, now on inlines. The amount of times whilst playing hockey in blades I thought I had stoppers!

With blades, push through the heel as opposed to through the ball of the foot

Stick with blades, they are better and faster in the long run. It was my new year's resolution to switch in 2009 and I've never looked back.

stuRC45
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby stuRC45 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:08 am

Torbaydos wrote:With blades, push through the heel as opposed to through the ball of the foot

I know where you're comming from when you made the switch to inlines, the first time I put these on they felt quick and I'd realy like to get as good as I was on quads (and don't like to quit) or I'll settle for as close to as I can get.
And cheers for the advise, I'll give that try and see how it feels though I've got to admit it's probably the lack of brakes where most of the work needs to be done!
That and the difference in basic turning techniques, I was pretty spoiled as my old quads used to have ACS500 trucks with real soft rubbers in them (with ice skating boots and the soft red Kryptonics, pretty trick for 1979) and you could turn the truck through full scope just with your hands so you'll know just how well they turned.
Mind you, the flip side of that was a massive both feet speed wobble while getting clocked (by a friend on his funky moped) down hill at 35MPH (probably just a little over 30MPH in reality), I won the bet and stayed upright but at one point thought I was going to loose a lot of flesh trying to prove I could do it.
Those were the days, an invincible 15 year old head on an immortal 15 year old body and it all seemed so very easy, I still seem to have the 15 year old head but the body's taken a few knocks and is certainly testing the immortality theory, roll on the summer!

I was reading about the Sunday afternoon/Friday night skates and am looking forward to getting involved but thought it a good idea to get on here first and see if I could learn something from the ex quad skaters.
So any and all tips are more than welcome.
While it does just feel strangely 'right' having skates on again (and kinda 'not right' when you take them off, if you know what I mean) I could see there were a lot of differences and I've a way to go before I can just relax and enjoy.

Oh yeah, a couple of questions......
Am I right in thinking the Salomon FSKs I've got are about right for a (kind of experienced) beginner and for just general street work, and any recomendations on a good set of street wheels for when these are shot?

Look no Skywater
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby Look no Skywater » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:15 am

FSKs are great but I think the Deflector models come with the 250CC frame which doesn't take more than 76mm wheels? Boots are fine as they seem to be your fit. I love them to bits but you're probably going to want to change the frame to something aluminium that takes 80mm wheels for the longer term as you will have more wheel choice, they are faster and more comfortable over iffy surfaces.

Wheel wise, until you become semi expert, I'd avoid the expensive ones. Definately avoid the cheap ones as they are a false economy as they tend to wear out or fall apart quite easily. Something mid-priced around the 85A hardness will be about right on the street for most people. If you are a lightweight (<10st) you can go 83A.

stuRC45
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby stuRC45 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:51 pm

The carbon composite frames on the Deflectors have `238mm - 80 max` written on them so am I right in thinking 80mm wheels are on the cards without having to change frames (unless they fall appart)?

The standard Salomon wheels on them are 72mm 83A (I'm around 12 1/2 stone) so will do the job for the time being. Cheers for the answers.

Dan B
New school
New school

Postby Dan B » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:18 am

3 x 80 mm = 240mm is the distance between front and back axles necessary to fit 4 80mm wheels. 238mm is les than this. I'd therefore be dubious that your frames can really take wheels of that size

If your frame is the same pattern as the slightly posher Salomon FSK aluminium frames were, it will be designed to take wheels where the front two are 4mm smaller than the back two (i.e. the front axle holes are slightly lower than the back two). I'd expect the biggest wheels you can put in there are 2 80mm wheels in the back two positions and 76mm in the front two positions,

stuRC45
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby stuRC45 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:57 am

Dan, I see what you mean (now you've pointed out the obvious :oops: ), makes me wonder why they'd write something like that on there as these have all the axle holes dead in line and all wheels are the same (72mm), it does look as though maybe you can draw the front and back wheels in by a couple of mill' by rotating the mounting tabs though 180 degrees, or at least that what the tabs look like, can't think what else they're on there for but don't know for certain as I've not taken a wheel off yet, but there's another job for tomorrow.

Return to “Welcome”