Different Styles of Skating

Introduce yourself and ask anything you like about the forum or skating - no question too stupid

Moderator: Traffic warden

pure.egyptian
Gumbie
Gumbie

Different Styles of Skating

Postby pure.egyptian » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:08 pm

Well I'll be honest, I'm surprised there isn't a post like this that's stickied (or if there is I've blindly missed it), and I think there should be a post like this. As a beginner in skating I don't have this information, so, after you've all enlightened me with your knowledge, I'll neatly collect it all in this post for future reference.

Aggressive skating:
Rollerblade, Valo, Remz, USD, Xsjado - theirs loads
Aggressive skating focuses on grinds, jumps, slides and flips. The skate is usually sturdier to take the abuse, the wheels are relatively small (I think about 50-60mm) and the soul plates and frames are designed for grinds. It's more common in skate parks since doing tricks is easier there, especially flips which require ramps, but I've frequently seen skaters slide down stairs in parks and other random places.

Recreational/Fitness Skating
Not sure what skates are good for this, rollerblade and roces seem good and at the lower end probably bladerunner or sfr. Personally I think hypno skates seem like the best option but I haven't tried them or met anyone who has, but they seem really convenient. Recreational skating is usually done in park pathways or roads just for fun or fitness. there are no tricks involved just moving, turning and stopping. The skate is designed for comfort and feels a bit like a trainer (with wheels attached). The frame is longer than a slalom frame but shorter than a speed skate frame, the wheel is about 80mm.

Slalom
Seba High, Seba Carbon Pro, Seba igor, Seba KSJ Rollerblade Twister, Powerslide S3, Powerslide S4 and Hardcore Evo
This is all about doing tricks in between slalom cones, usually spaced about 80cm apart. The wheels are rockered and I think a common combination is 76-80-80-76 (depends on frame size which depends on foot size). The frame is shorter and the skate is a tighter fit than rec skates for more precision.

Freeskating
Seba FR1. Seba FRX
Also called urban skating, frre-ride and street skating. I think the best way to describe this is a fusion of parkour and skating. These give you less precision than slalom skates, but I think the skate is more solid than slalom skates, or at least it should be.

Artistic
Riedell/Suregrip, PIC skates, Custom V2
Traditionally done on quads but also on inlines. It is composed of jumps, spins, figures, and dance. Alot of roller rinks have classes for this sort of thing

Speed skating
The art of moving at the speed of light while on skates, well its really fast. The skate is close fitting, light, the ankle support is invisible (or maybe there is no ankle support :O ) - apparently it's there, just doesn't extend past the ankle bone.

Hockey
Apparently Seba FR1 - if it's not any good take it up with Becca
If you need an explanation for what hockey is you probably live under a rock/in a cave

Feel free to correct/criticise/laugh at my mistakes, because honestly, this is all greek to me.

Peace out.
Last edited by pure.egyptian on Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.

gummidge
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Re: Different Styles of Skating

Postby gummidge » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:59 pm

• Tarting - Missions
  • Flirting - Britney Spears Quads
  • Pulling - FSKs

Kim
New school
New school

Postby Kim » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:43 pm

You could add

Free-ride / street

Duncan Clarke
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Duncan Clarke » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:25 am

Additional aggressive skate brands:
- USD (Conference)
- Xsjado
- Razors
- SSM (was Nimh)
- K2
- Rollerblade

Plus if you can still find then;
- Oxygen
- Salomon
- OUT
- Roces

Wild Phil
New school
New school

Postby Wild Phil » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:37 am

Dont forget hockey and football ;)

lurch
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby lurch » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:46 am

pure.egyptian wrote:Interesting fact: they don't use their hands for turns like their icy counterparts.

Wha...? Huh...? Armswing during crossover turns is definitely a part of technique coaching.

Also there is ankle support, but it extends only to just above the ankle bone.

Speedskate brands: The more highly regarded ones tend to be quite niche and will have both custom and off the shelf boots in their product lines - Bont, Luigino, Cado Motus, for example.

Brands like Powerslide, K2 & Rollerblade do off the shelf models.

pure.egyptian
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby pure.egyptian » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:19 am

lurch wrote:
pure.egyptian wrote:Interesting fact: they don't use their hands for turns like their icy counterparts.

Wha...? Huh...? Armswing during crossover turns is definitely a part of technique coaching.

I meant they don't drag their hands, in ice speed skating they put their inside hand on the floor for turns, at least as far as I've seen thats the case, isn't it?

Becca
New school
New school

Postby Becca » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:09 am

pure.egyptian wrote:

Artistic
Traditionally done on quads but also on inlines. It is composed of jumps, spins, figures, and dance. Alot of roller rinks have classes for this sort of thing

On quads - generally people use Riedell/ Suregrip.
On inlines - PIC Skates

pure.egyptian wrote:
Speed skating
The art of moving at the speed of light while on skates, well its really fast. The skate is close fitting, light, the ankle support is invisible (or maybe there is no ankle support :O ) - apparently it's there, just doesn't extend past the ankle bone. The frame is longer and the wheels are larger. Interesting fact: they don't drag their hands for turns like their icy counterparts.

Don't forget the lycra.

Becca
New school
New school

Postby Becca » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:13 am

pure.egyptian wrote:
Slalom
Seba High, Seba Carbon Pro, Rollerblade Twister, Powerslide S3 and Hardcore Evo
This is all about doing tricks in between slalom cones, usually spaced about 80cm apart. The wheels are rockered and I think a common combination is 76-80-80-76. The frame is shorter and the skate is a tighter fit than rec skates for more precision.

It depends on foot size - a lot of skate companies use shorter frames for smaller sizes. For example, with Sebas, on size 5 or smaller they use 231 frames which has a maximum wheel size of 76mm. So a lot of girls end up with 231 frames rockered 72 - 76 - 76 -72, whilst blokes (and slightly larger footed girls) have the 243 frames rockered 76 - 80 - 80 - 76.

Also, don't forget Seba Igor (very popular) and Seba KSJ. Also, now Powerslide S4.

Becca
New school
New school

Postby Becca » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:15 am

Wild Phil wrote:Don't forget hockey

Yes, don't forget hockey!

Although of course a lot of people wear hockey skates, at the lower end (shit hockey in the park), Seba Fr1s are very popular.

Becca
New school
New school

Postby Becca » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:15 am

Also, don't forget roller derby!

Phil (Old Street)
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby Phil (Old Street) » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:39 am

gummidge wrote:
  • Tarting - Missions
  • Flirting - Britney Spears Quads
  • Pulling - FSKs

lol ... I guess I'm a tart then! ;)

Cowry
New school
New school

Postby Cowry » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:19 pm

pure.egyptian wrote:
lurch wrote:

I meant they don't drag their hands, in ice speed skating they put their inside hand on the floor for turns, at least as far as I've seen thats the case, isn't it?

No, that's just a form of speedskating on ice, but there is also the 400 meter track, where they don't do this hand dragging. I'm dutch, I should know, it's a very popular form of ice skating here and in wintertime it can be seen in sports programs a lot. Oh, and I live across such a track... There's no ice on it at the moment, so it's now open for inlines ;)

Dan B
New school
New school

Postby Dan B » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:43 pm

pure.egyptian wrote:I meant they don't drag their hands, in ice speed skating they put their inside hand on the floor for turns, at least as far as I've seen thats the case, isn't it?

You'd need a lot more grip than tarmac gives you if you want to get low enough to drag a hand on the ground. Remember that ice skates grip more on edge, wheels grip most on the centre.

That said, I've seen it (or at least, seen pictures of it) at indoor events

pure.egyptian
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby pure.egyptian » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:10 pm

I'll edit out when I get to a computer Dan (not easy on the phone), I'll also try to add any other input that was added but I don't know much about the other styles, I'll do as much as I can though.

pure.egyptian
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby pure.egyptian » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:16 pm

Updated

Becca
New school
New school

Postby Becca » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:30 pm

pure.egyptian wrote:
Hockey
Apparently Seba FR1 - if it's not any good take it up with Becca

Haha! Yeah, FR1s for us low level players. A lot of decent hockey players wear Bauers.

NS Jason
Power slider
Power slider

Postby NS Jason » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:18 pm

I play hockey in my Seba highs, not good for them but I can't afford a pair of Bauer Vapor 40's at the moment (That's what I use on ice, buying them again with wheels would break me)

JasonN
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby JasonN » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:17 am

Worth mentioning that the wheels you get on inline hockey skates are made from a soft grippy compound designed for indoor surfaces (rink rat, labeda etc.). If you use them outdoors they wont last very long. Get some hyper +G wheels for outdoors or just use Seba FR1's, they are great for street hockey.

PeterC
New school
New school

Postby PeterC » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:13 pm

With ref to, the whole hand dragging thing.

As people have said, two sorts of ice speed skating, called "short" and "long" track.
Long track doesn't have hand dragging, the lean angles round the bends are not low enough on it's huge 400m track, and frankly its far to civilised by half.
Short track does, it also has crashes, and in the UK is the only sort of ice speed skating you can do.

Not seem much hand dragging on inline in the UK, but I havn't done any indoor racing for years now.

Return to “Welcome”