Type of skates suitable for UK surfaces?

Introduce yourself and ask anything you like about the forum or skating - no question too stupid

Moderator: Traffic warden

SteRit
Gumbie
Gumbie

Type of skates suitable for UK surfaces?

Postby SteRit » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:00 pm

Hi everyone, After deciding to get back into skating again and to improve my cycling power in the hills, I bought a pair of Roces Rome from SportsDirect. A couple of weeks later, I decided to set myself the challenge of blading from Blackpool to Manchester in the coming weeks. It is a bit hardcore, but my endurance is good and cycle over 800km a month. I also rollerbladed extensively in Paris and my technique has always been good.

The one thing I find is that UK pavements aren't ideal for skating long distances on. Cycle tracks tend to be good, but tend to stop and the cabling works have left many pavements in the North West uneven. I know I can't do the skate 50 miles using my Roces Rome. They are too heavy and slow. The wheels are also too small, so alot of effort is being put in for little reward. I have skated 122km in a couple of weeks, burnt out the backwheels and know I can improve further.

Which skates do you recommend? I am currently looking at getting some Salomon skates off eBay or buying a pair of Roces Big Cat to handle the cracks and bumps? Any tips?

Acidedge
Old school
Old school
Location: Nottingham. That's "north" for you southern chimps.

Re: Type of skates suitable for UK surfaces?

Postby Acidedge » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:13 pm

Roces Rome skates full into the category we refer to as cheap and nasty plastic rubbish. And Roces Big Cat are novelty off-road skates; you don't want these.

But anyway... any good quality skates will be fine on UK surfaces: I regularly skate the streets of Nottingham on old Salomon FSKs with <80mm wheels without difficulty. But it sounds to me like you need some decent fitness skates, ideally with wheels larger than 80mm: i.e. 84mm, 90mm or (if you think you can handle them) 100mm wheels. I recommend something like the Seba GT. Or if you want to stick with Roces, have a look at these.

ephillips
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby ephillips » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:47 am

What size are you? I'm selling a 4x100 frame and some size 8 Seba FR1s at the moment which would be a perfect setup for this.

SteRit
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby SteRit » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:36 pm

Thanks for the advice. I am a size 9.5 to 10, so sadly your skates are too small.. Been bidding on Salomon skates, but they seem to be really in demand. Think I am going to go for the FSKs if they become available.

Will probably head up to Blackpool or go to the Alderley Edge By-Pass this weekend to get out training again on my Romes. They aren't great, but were a cheap way back into the skating world again and I fitted some ABEC 7, so they are quite nippy now...

Acidedge
Old school
Old school
Location: Nottingham. That's "north" for you southern chimps.

Postby Acidedge » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:43 pm

SteRit wrote:I fitted some ABEC 7, so they are quite nippy now...

Must... resist...

SteRit
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby SteRit » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:15 pm

Ha! Anything is nippy compared to ABEC 1 bearings!

It is a shame that there is no fitness skating scene in Manchester. I seem to be a bit of a lone recreational skater. There don't seem to be any groups or organised skates in the city.

I can sense that skating might come back in a big way again. The number of bids of eBay seem to be growing by the day for second hand skates.

Dan B
New school
New school

Postby Dan B » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:51 pm

I know that Southport is not Manchester exactly, but it's nearer than most of London's airports are to London so maybe you can get there OK. They used to have a speed skating club ("TEAM ROK YMCA"), which may still exist. There's also a Southport forum at http://www.paul-graham.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

I know you said "fitness" not "speed" exactly, but it's not so different except that you don't get to win anything ;-)

dodgy
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby dodgy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:52 pm

Yep, head over here - there's a fair few skaters here in Southport now - slalom 8) , speed :) , & errr Nordic style... :?

Also seems to be a bit of a scene in Blackpool too:

http://www.facebook.com/skateBlackpool
Last edited by dodgy on Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steveh
Power slider
Power slider

Postby steveh » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:25 pm

SteRit wrote:I decided to set myself the challenge of blading from Blackpool to Manchester in the coming weeks.

If you don't mind going in the opposite direction, the upcoming Manchester to Blackpool bike ride would give you the ideal opportunity to skate the route alongside plenty of cyclists, who will give you enough cover to remain on the road safely and avoid the pavements. That's what we do with the London-Brighton, London-Cambridge and other bike rides every year. You also have the benefit of a signed, marshalled route.

SteRit
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby SteRit » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:07 pm

Thanks for the info regarding the organised skates. I have found some Salomon skates in Sheffield and will collect them at the weekend, so might head up to Southport or Blackpool to test them out. My only concern is that they are an 11 and I am a 10. I wear thick socks and usually put an inner sole in, so they should be fine (unless you know otherwise?!?!)

If the Blackpool skate goes well I do intend to do London to Brighton after riding down from Manchester in September. A sort of epic duathlon! This is why I need a good pair of skates to work with.

As for Nordic Skating, I like the idea of doing this abroad. Going around with poles just felt wrong around Salford Quays!

SteRit
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby SteRit » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:53 pm

Got some Salomon inlines today. No marks on them and no wear in the wheels. Paid £40 for them. They are the DR120 model with the magnesium frame.

Off to Germany next week, but will probably head up to Blackpool or Southport next weekend to test them out.

SteRit
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby SteRit » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:04 pm

Went out to Alderley Edge today to skate the by-pass cycle track. There is a cycle track with Euro style tarmac that is smooth and wonderful for skating on as it is car free, quiet, with no side roads. Averaged 20 km/h over 32 km and got up to 36km/h.

Love the new Salomon skates. Felt in control at good speeds and could of carried on to at least 50km, except my phone battery ran out so wouldn't have been able to track it and had no tunes to listen to!

Just come back from Nuremberg and Munich. Surely some of the best places to blade in Europe.

jorjastandish
Lurker

Postby jorjastandish » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:44 am

I want to go to Munich and try to skate there.:(

T@rty
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby T@rty » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:43 am

bit late to this thread but just wanted to share a bit of info. A mate of mine ran into two quad skaters from Warrington on the promenade of Southport the other day, they were just resting before skating back to Warrington (a total distance of almost 70 miles). All credit to the guys, some details here and a vid from my mates helmet cam:-
http://www.paul-graham.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=759

Paul, who took the video uses Seba GT's, lovely looking skate and ideal for general A to B skating. Still thinking of getting a pair myself but my iGor's seem to be the only skates I use now days.

Return to “Welcome”