Cobble-fearing skate-addict coming to London next week

Introduce yourself and ask anything you like about the forum or skating - no question too stupid

Moderator: Traffic warden

Nellie
Gumbie
Gumbie

Cobble-fearing skate-addict coming to London next week

Postby Nellie » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:56 pm

IÔÇÖve just noticed that IÔÇÖve never introduced myself although I asked my first question ÔÇô and received very helpful answers - here more than a year ago.
IÔÇÖm a quaddie and have been skating on and off since 2001 (when I bought my first decent skates). Mostly I just skate around and do some slalom together with a group of inline skaters (IÔÇÖm not any good at it, but love it nonetheless). Sometimes I go to GermanyÔÇÖs last roller rink, which still looks exactly like it did in the 80s :) .
My favourite forum is ÔÇÿtechnique, tips and equipmentÔÇÖ because I really like reading about and trying out different gear, which I still mostly get from English online shops, as hardly anything is available here. IÔÇÖm really looking forward to having a look around in Club Blue Room and Slick Willies, as IÔÇÖve never been in a skate shop that sells quad-stuff. Actually, will I be able to get Anarchy (or similar cheap heavy duty) knee pads in one of them (my boyfriend still needs some for Goodwood)?
IÔÇÖm planning to come to the LondonSkate next Wednesday, but IÔÇÖm a bit scared that thereÔÇÖll be a lot of cobble & steep downhills ÔÇô IÔÇÖve been on almost every street/night skate in my city for the last three years, but theyÔÇÖre among the slowest in this country IÔÇÖm told, and everything is really flat here as well. We do have a lot of cobble around, but apart from very small patches IÔÇÖve managed to avoid it so far. Is my fear justified??
Sorry for waffling on like this, and it would be really cool if I could meet some of you at the WNS or on the real Serpentine Road next week ;-) ÔÇô IÔÇÖll be the one awkwardly skating around in footie boots (canÔÇÖt wear my high skate boots at the moment as they hurt my ankles).

Look no Skywater
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Re: Cobble-fearing skate-addict coming to London next week

Postby Look no Skywater » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:08 pm

Don't think we have any routes with cobbles on them on Wednesday. We tend to avoid them as being rubbish to skate on. Our road surfaces are bad enough already ;) We don't do steep hills on Wednesdays either. Gentle slopes occasionally.

Nellie
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby Nellie » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:00 pm

That sounds encouraging - thanks!!

Roundabout
Power slider
Power slider

Postby Roundabout » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:49 am

Hey Nellie, just read your thread.

Sadly today's LondonSkate has been cancelled due to the rioting. Whether people will be out on Serpentine Road I don't know.

LondonSkate wrote:Hi folks This week our city London has seen the worst levels of violence and disorder in living memory, sadly we at LondonSkate do not feel it is wise, safe or appropriate to run the event this week, therefore LondonSkate 10.08.2001 is postponed. We hope you all stay safe and that business will return to normal next week. Much Love LondonSkate

Nellie
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby Nellie » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:53 pm

Thanks, Roundabout. Yeah, I saw that on the LondonSkate website just before I was going to get ready. What a shame. Well, hope none of you were harmed by the riots in any way!!
I'm coming back to London this weekend and hope the Sunday Stroll will take place :) .

Return to “Welcome”