inline virgin advice!

Introduce yourself and ask anything you like about the forum or skating - no question too stupid

Moderator: Traffic warden

magenta008
Lurker

inline virgin advice!

Postby magenta008 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:53 pm

Hi, I am looking for some advice on which inline skates to buy.
I used to skate all the time as a child but that was on quads. I tried inlines as a teenager but couldn't get on with them - that could have been because of them being cheap and plastic or because I was used to quads, I don't know.
I still have some quadswhich are cheesy disco types ;) - ok for indoors but I haven't used them a lot as they are heavy and not really ideal for outdoors - I have been thinking of getting some inline skates as I have read that they are best for outdoors and I am wanting to do some recreational skating to get fit and just for fun. I have seen lots of different advice on what skates to get and lots of different prices!
I don't have loads of money, so something for uner £100 would be good.

Also I have problems with my ankles in that they are weak and need support (a bit of hypermobility - overly flexible joints) I am hoping that inline skating will improve this by strengthening them. Does anyone know if this is the case?

What I want to know is - what skates would be good for a) good ankle support but still flexible enough to skate in, and b)for beginners. ie recreational or freestyle? what brands? and what type/size of wheels?
Any advice welcome, thanks :)

Eviltwin
New school
New school

Re: inline virgin advice!

Postby Eviltwin » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:58 pm

inline virgin advice!

No such thing!!!!! ;)

Look no Skywater
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby Look no Skywater » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:55 pm

Hi Magenta,

Welcome to the forum. For that sort of money you are looking at sale prices or second hand. Prices for goodish gear haven't been under £100 for a number of years now. It is possible to get something new that is adequate for learning in but not really going to last you too long as you will likely outgrow them. Theywill be lesser known or respected brands. There are a few well known brands. Rollerblade, Seba, Powerslide mainly but there are others. Some marques produce "value" models. Cheaper components don't always mean rubbish and so long as the replacable parts are the bad bits then they can often be made to last a long time. Seba FRx is pretty good value.

The most important factor once they are suitable as skates in general is that they fit properly. If they don't then you are not going to enjoy it. For new skates they need to be tight around the ankle and close around the foot but with a bit of wiggle room only in the toes. For used skates they need to be comfy but supporting and ideally free from cracks. Scratches are normal.

Protection is extra again. I haven't bought a set of pads in a long time but they were most useful when starting out. Minimum is wrist and knee pads as you should expect to fall over occasionally when you are pushing yourself to improve.

You haven't put a location in so I can't advise you on where to have a look. I hope you have a skate shop nearby that stock a few brands in a range of sizes.

This guide is a little dated now but it still has relevance
http://www.londonskaters.com/faq_inline ... _guide.htm

gummidge
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby gummidge » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:37 am

Inline virgin advice? Avoid Quentin!

Or maybe seek him out, depending on what you need advice.

Acidedge
Old school
Old school
Location: Nottingham. That's "north" for you southern chimps.

Postby Acidedge » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:40 pm

See here.

magenta008
Lurker

Postby magenta008 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:37 pm

Hey thanks for the advice....I will continue my search :)

Return to “Welcome”