Getting into skating

Introduce yourself and ask anything you like about the forum or skating - no question too stupid

Moderator: Traffic warden

rachelisme
Lurker

Getting into skating

Postby rachelisme » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:14 pm

Hi, I'm a student who recently moved to London, and I really want to get into skating as a leisure/exercise activity. The problem is that I don't have a particularly large amount of money, and I don't want to just hire skates and teach myself as I will do it wrong and break my neck! So the question is, where does anyone recommend for good value (or even, dare I say, cheap) lessons and skate hire?

My end goal is to be able to partake in the street skates, and possibly even try out some sort of skate marathon sometime. Eventually I'll buy my own skates when I know what's comfortable etc. so anywhere that has a student discount or takes the hire amount off the price of skates would be amazing!

I live in Shadwell so the closer to there as possible is best, but obviously I can get the tube to wherever.

Thankyou in advance for any help! :)

evilzzz
New school
New school

Re: Getting into skating

Postby evilzzz » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:47 am

Hey, welcome to the forum.
Getting a decent pair of comfortable skates is important, so its worth saving up a bit, or perhaps keeping an eye on gumtree for a decent set of 2nd hand skates. If you're not sure, post links here and we'll let you know if they're any good. Some kind souls might even offer to sell you their old skates if you let us know your feet size.

There is a nice social scene in London with skating, and if you hang around in the right places you'll meet lots of other people who are learning. I recommend just coming to the Serpentine Road in Hyde Park or going to the Easy Saturday Skate in Battersea park on Saturday mornings, which is a beginner group skate usually run by our chums Simon & Daveo.

lolainlondon
New school
New school

Re: Getting into skating

Postby lolainlondon » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:57 pm

Run, run now. Your liver will thank you later. :P

Welcome! Slick Willies and Club Blue Room both do hire skates and are quite close to the park. They are both reasonably priced but are exactly what you expect from rental skates. Not the most comfortable or manouverable, but they are kept in reasonable condition.

Club blue room rental info: http://www.clubblueroom.com/Rentals.asp
Slick Willies website (no rental info up there): http://www.slickwillies.co.uk/

If you know of anyone who skates, attempt to borrow skates from them. If you don't know anyone who skates, take up drinking in the Vic, make friends with people who skate and borrow theirs.

There are many instructors, some of whom work together in various ways. Some of the most frequently recommended ones are:

www.skatefresh.com
www.skateinstructor.com
www.londonskaters.com

These lessons are all good value, but not necessarily cheap. Group lessons are the best way to go if you do want proper lessons as they are more cost effective and you meet other people who also want to learn to skate - instant practice buddies.

Return to “Welcome”