Hockey skates for street use

Introduce yourself and ask anything you like about the forum or skating - no question too stupid

Moderator: Traffic warden

victorludorum
Lurker

Hockey skates for street use

Postby victorludorum » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:24 am

Hello all!

I used to skate many moons ago on quads, and I've always been keen on getting some inlines. I tried some a few years ago, and although they were a bit strange, it's something I'd like to pursue further this coming year, but the only inlines that i like the look of are the hockey ones.

I presume I can easily use these for general street skating, but are there any obvious and major problems with hockey type boots, as opposed to a more 'standard' street skate?

Many thanks in advance,
Gary ;-)

ephillips
Beach bum
Beach bum

Re: Hockey skates for street use

Postby ephillips » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:12 pm

I used some hockey skates for street skating about 8 months (and for indoor hockey for 2 years) - overall I'd have to say that the Powerslide and Seba slalom boots I've owned provide a better outdoor experience. But that said, there is no bigreason why not, since they're nice, light, cheap and turn on a dime.

But in answer to your question, the only real considerations are

1) The stock indoor wheels they come with get destroyed outdoors so will need replacing (mine lasted 10 days) - so add £45 to the cost
2) The lack of ankle support made some slalom moves and slides harder to master - and some landings were a little more hairy.
3) They don't filter out bumps in the tarmac as well as proper street skate - you really feel the vibrations
4) They're slower than the standard 4x80mm street skate setup (but turn better)
5) The shell is built to withstand impacts with a smooth indoor floor. Rough tarmac will wear it away much faster - I managed to put a small hole in mine quite quickly. YMMV.

None of them are deal-breakers, but it is worth keeping in mind.

victorludorum
Lurker

Re: Hockey skates for street use

Postby victorludorum » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:58 pm

Thanks for all that info, it's very helpful ;-)

From what you're saying, it seems that street skates will suit me better as the smoothness would be an important thing for me. I used quads for many years and had a few pairs of Bauer Turbos; if I could find something that looked nice and plain i'd snap them up, but all the skates I've seen are just plain ugly to me :-(

Return to “Welcome”