Newbe- Hi and Which Skates?

Introduce yourself and ask anything you like about the forum or skating - no question too stupid

Moderator: Traffic warden

jonny flamenco
Lurker

Newbe- Hi and Which Skates?

Postby jonny flamenco » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:18 pm

Hi all,

I'm based near Cardiff and am thinking about taking up skating in order to accompany my daughter when she goes, it's something I really used to enjoy as a kid and I really like the idea of getting back into it. So it would be, I suppose, half and half indoor and outdoor and I've decided I will get quads as I like a bit of retro, those in-lines look a bit too technical for me.

I've been doing a bit of research and I think I've narrowed things down to a choice of 2 brands, I just wanted people's opinions on if I'm making wise choices or I'm missing something. So choices are:

Ventro Pro quads http://www.quad-skates.co.uk/ventro-pro-quad-skates-37-p.asp

These seem to have good reviews as a 'starter/intermediate' skate and obviously I've gathered that the wheels aren't much cop on this basic model (Ventro Pro Wheels 61.5mm / 83a shure hardness) probably ok to start with- £59.99. (size 11 by the way)

Then there's the Supreme Turbo 33s http://www.prolineskates.com/acatalog/Adult_Rollerskates.html at the bottom of page in my local shop who happen to have a 15% discount on at the mo so they'd be about £85- From what I read these are 'top of the line' boots and I gather that the wheels are a lot better on these- 'hyper or Kryptos'.

So can anyone tell me- Is the boot of the Supremes going to be a lot better then the Ventros? Could I get the cheap Ventro and change the wheels in a year or so's time or would I be better off spending just £25 more to get a better boot with the better wheels?

Any opinions are greatly appreciated,

cheers all, Jon

Quadster
Wannabe
Wannabe

Re: Newbe- Hi and Which Skates?

Postby Quadster » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:44 pm

There's little difference between the boots performance-wise.

Ventro uses slightly stiffer material for the shell than the Supremes, so they offer more support and are possibly a little more durable than the Supremes. However, the firmer shell can be more restrictive (especially if you lace them all the way up to the top).

The main difference between those boots is the fit. The Ventros are a wider compared to the Supremes, so they fit some people better. Both the Supermes and Ventros are wider than original Bauers though.

The wheels on the Ventros do "seem" a bit cheap and nasty, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're no good, just they just can't be vouched for because they're not one of the well-known regularly used wheels.

If you're going to be skating outdoors then you need to make sure the wheels are not too hard. The 83a wheels on the Ventro coupled with their slighlty under-sized diameter suggest that they won't be that good outdoors. 76a, 78a and 80a are the most common wheel hardness for outdoor skating (unless you enjoy having your fillings shaken loose). Most quaddies end up changing their wheels anyway, so don't be swayed by the the add-ons that come with the boot. An ill-fitting boot is never going to be fun to skate (regardless of how good the wheels are that came with it).

Prioritise getting the right boot, and then work from there to add the parts that suit the particular kind of skating that you will be doing (if you're not happy with what comes with it as standard). Most places will let you replace or upgrade wheels at the time of purchase, so you don't have to limit yourself to what the retailer has chosen to bundle with the boot.

jonny flamenco
Lurker

Re: Newbe- Hi and Which Skates?

Postby jonny flamenco » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:48 pm

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll get the Supremes then, on your advice that the boots are more flexible and come set up with wheels more suited to outdoors. Cheers!, Jon

Return to “Welcome”