Confessions of a Forum Stalker

Introduce yourself and ask anything you like about the forum or skating - no question too stupid

Moderator: Traffic warden

JustJon
Wannabe
Wannabe

Confessions of a Forum Stalker

Postby JustJon » Thu May 17, 2012 12:10 pm

Hey. I'm Jon. I'm 19 (Just). I live in London. Mainly skate in Bushy Park.

Been stalking the forums for a while now and I feel a bit awkward about introducing myself. :oops:

I've been skating for a year and a half. Went: Quads>Cheap Inlines>Seba fr1.

LOVE skating. :lol: . Even though i'm a bit of a gumbie.

Fell in love with slalom as soon as I started it and i'm finally getting round to rockering my wheels today.

I want to get into the London Skate scene but i'm a bit overwhelmed by the tight-knit community you have and my general lack of skill.

Yeah. That's about it. Hi. :P .

Mick
New school
New school

Re: Confessions of a Forum Stalker

Postby Mick » Thu May 17, 2012 12:55 pm

Hi Jon. The skating scene is very welcoming so no need to worry, if you like skating then you're in. If it seems at all "clubby" from the outside it's just because many of us have skated together for years and have become friends, but there's also quite a big turnover as there are always new people joining while others move elsewhere. Just turn up and skate and talk to people when you get the chance and you'll soon wonder why you felt awkward. Skill level really doesn't matter because everybody remembers what it was like when they first started, and skating is something you never stop learning. You'll find that most people will give you a lot of encouragement, and if you want any advice or help you only have to ask.

JustJon
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby JustJon » Thu May 17, 2012 1:08 pm

Hey Mick. I can see you guys are all really friendly, and have good senses of humour judging from most of the posts on here. :) . Thanks for the quick reply. Am I right in thinking I can just turn up to the wednesday/sunday skates? I feel like it might be a bit awkward if I turned up on my own. :oops: .

Torbaydos
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Torbaydos » Thu May 17, 2012 1:16 pm

Of course you can just turn up (note there is a Friday skate too). Please make sure one of your trouser legs is rolled up so we can recognise you.
Also come to the pub afterwards so we can meet you properly

JustJon
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby JustJon » Thu May 17, 2012 1:24 pm

Friday as well! I feel spoilt for choice here. It's so refreshing to have an active community for skating who are willing to spend their free time promoting the sport.

Haha. :) . I'll be sure to wear a distinctive piece of clothing when I do finally pluck up courage to come along.

Sounds great. I warn you though. I'm one of those lame people who's decided not to drink alcohol anymore. (b) . I'm more of a lemonade guy these days. (d) .

mit
New school
New school

Postby mit » Fri May 18, 2012 10:20 am

Don't worry, just turn up!

JustJon
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby JustJon » Fri May 18, 2012 10:27 am

Will having rockered wheels impede me in any way on the street? I've just posted in Technique, Tips and Equipment about my new wheels and i'm wondering if I should use my old wheels for skate nights and save my new ones for smooth surfaces? :? .

Jon.

mit
New school
New school

Postby mit » Fri May 18, 2012 10:37 am

Don't worry, just turn up! (for the second time)

JustJon
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby JustJon » Fri May 18, 2012 10:42 am

:P . LOL. Literally. Laughed Out loud. Okay I get the message. Less worrying > More skating. Thanks. :) .

skatingisforfags
Lurker

Postby skatingisforfags » Fri May 18, 2012 4:00 pm

how many dicks do i need to suck before im accepted into the skating scene? ;)

JustJon
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby JustJon » Fri May 18, 2012 4:11 pm

skatingisforfags wrote:how many dicks do i need to suck before im accepted into the skating scene? ;)

This is the kind of random bullshit that makes me not want to skate at all. I hope you die in a hole.

Dan B
New school
New school

Postby Dan B » Fri May 18, 2012 4:56 pm

skatingisforfags wrote:how many dicks do i need to suck before im accepted into the skating scene? ;)

If that's your usual attitude it'll take more than just sucking dicks.

Mick
New school
New school

Postby Mick » Fri May 18, 2012 5:19 pm

Well, we'll need proof of your dick-sucking skills first, we do have standards you know! Got any written endorsements from your previous clients?

JustJon
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby JustJon » Fri May 18, 2012 5:31 pm

Dan B wrote:

If that's your usual attitude it'll take more than just sucking dicks.

I hope this isn't the attitude of most of the skating community. I only joined the forum so I didn't feel like I was wasting my life on a dead sport. I really enjoy skating and it's nice to find some good-natured friendly people who enjoy it as well. It's a shame that someone (with no balls), probably off this forum, has made an account just to insult me. I apologise if I sound like some kind of arrogant suck-up. Skating is just something that makes me feel good and i'm excited that there are opportunities to skate with other people. So yeah. Don't misread my enthusiasm.

(that's not directed at Dan by the way).

Mick
New school
New school

Postby Mick » Fri May 18, 2012 5:52 pm

One of those turns up on the forum every few years, Jon. They're not very bright and if you just laugh at them they get confused and run away. It's rather cute that they still think calling people gay is an insult in the 21st century, I hadn't realised anybody still cared!

JustJon
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby JustJon » Fri May 18, 2012 6:01 pm

I know I shouldn't acknowledge such a failed, and obvious, attempt at trolling. Haters gonna hate. Yeah it's kinda lame that they even bother. I've already had my fair share of abuse for inline skating from random members (not that kind) of the public. I guess it's the least I could expect. This is the internet after all.

Mick
New school
New school

Postby Mick » Fri May 18, 2012 6:26 pm

Yeah, I've found that skating outdoors has made me a lot more thick skinned! There are always a few saddoes around whatever you're doing, but I'm usually having an absolute blast when I get "Tosser!" shouted at me by some miserable tosser, so I usually take it to mean they're just identifying themselves. There was one recently which made me laugh though just because they went to so much trouble. I was skating back home through Brighton about 3am after I missed the last train home and one of the few cars on the road slowed down to match my speed, the passenger wound down the window and in a conversational tone enquired: "What sort of c*nt goes skating in the middle of the night?" then wound up the window and drove off while I was still processing it. Not a lot you can say to that really.

JustJon
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby JustJon » Fri May 18, 2012 6:37 pm

Haha. Yeah I can never think of anything to say. I was skating on the pavement (Bad,I know) near the top of my road and this guy in his 40s came up behind me on a bike (I felt justified being on the pavement then) and told me to "get out the way skateboy" he then said he was gonna "knock me down". He barged into me to try and knock me over and fell over under his own bike. It was really surreal. I had no witty response so I just went on my way. That was 2 minutes after some kid shoulder barged me in front of his friends. That was a weird day. There should be a thread for stories like this (I imagine there already is though).

Sparky
New school
New school

Postby Sparky » Fri May 18, 2012 6:43 pm

So, you skating tonight or what :)

JustJon
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby JustJon » Fri May 18, 2012 7:52 pm

I was SO close to going. I went out for a pre-skate just now. Started raining. I dunno what it's like in central. I mean it was barely spitting but my new wheels weren't liking it at all. I also have a lot of work to do for monday. DEFINITELY coming next week though. Got a few exams in-between but then I'm hoping to come wednesday/friday/sunday for the rest of my life. Pretty much.

Return to “Welcome”