Hi and Help!

Introduce yourself and ask anything you like about the forum or skating - no question too stupid

Moderator: Traffic warden

sgao
Lurker

Hi and Help!

Postby sgao » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:49 pm

Hi everybody,

I started slaloming a few months ago and I really love it! I bought the SEBA FR1 after doing some research online and started practicing, but I feel like I can only get to a certain level from watching online videos (can't seem to master anything past eagle snake). I'm located in Princeton NJ USA, which is an hour's train ride away from NY, so if anybody is willing to teach, or has any workshops going on I'd love to learn! I'm also thinking of starting a rollerblading club at Princeton University, so if any instructors are willing to come down here and help get that rolling, I would be insanely happy.

The most pressing issue I have right now is- I'm in China (Beijing) for the next 3 weeks, and I'd like to buy a pair of high-quality slalom skates here, because they seem significantly cheaper than in America. I'll be going to Shanghai in 2 weeks, but I'd prefer to get them now ASAP. Can anybody recommend which ones to buy, and where to get them? I can't seem to find any good slaloming/freeskate equipment stores, only commercialized places. I'd like to order/buy a pair by the end of this week, if possible.

Also will the SEBA FR1's limit my slaloming ability in the future? Should I invest in a better pair now, and which ones should I buy?

Thanks!
Sharon

Acidedge
Old school
Old school
Location: Nottingham. That's "north" for you southern chimps.

Re: Hi and Help!

Postby Acidedge » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:20 pm

1. You could try posting on the forum for the US Freestyle Skating Association?

2. Personally I'd say that the FR1 is fine for learning slalom and there's no reason you can't slalom well on them. The skates do not maketh the skater...

Torbaydos
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Torbaydos » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:05 pm

Acidedge wrote:The skates do not maketh the skater...

Unless they are Powerslide Evo ;)

atlsk8r
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby atlsk8r » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:59 pm

There are plenty very good slalomers in NYC. They practice regularly at Central Park and a downtown location.

You should your request for help to the following Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/7122166370/

By far the best way to meet everyone is to come down next month (August 11-12) during the US Freestyle Slalom Championships. There you can meet all the best US slalom skaters, some excellent international skaters like Martin Sloboda, and even Sebastien himself. Be sure to bring your skates.

https://www.facebook.com/events/166552206810897/

sgao
Lurker

Postby sgao » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:44 am

Thanks!I have join requests pending at the US Freestyle Skating Association and the facebook group.

Unfortunately I will be in China until August 25th. Are there any other events coming up nearby? At any rate, I don't think I'm ready to meet all these amazing slalomers- I feel like I can barely skate myself.

So essentially I don't need to buy nice skates until I get better, and nobody know where to buy slalom skates in Beijing?

Acidedge
Old school
Old school
Location: Nottingham. That's "north" for you southern chimps.

Postby Acidedge » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:55 am

Acidedge wrote:
sgao wrote:Unfortunately I will be in China until August 25th. Are there any other events coming up nearby? At any rate, I don't think I'm ready to meet all these amazing slalomers- I feel like I can barely skate myself.

You're in luck: the China freestyle skating championships are on 4-6 August in Hai An, Jiang Su, China; and the World Freestyle Skating Championships are on 22-26 August in Lishui, Zhejiang, China.

sgao wrote:So essentially I don't need to buy nice skates until I get better?

So you're saying the Seba FR1 aren't nice? I think they're nice.

sgao wrote:...and nobody know where to buy slalom skates in Beijing?

Afraid not. There must be at least one though. Try Google.

atlsk8r
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby atlsk8r » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:11 pm

sgao wrote:Thanks!I have join requests pending at the US Freestyle Skating Association and the facebook group.

Unfortunately I will be in China until August 25th. Are there any other events coming up nearby? At any rate, I don't think I'm ready to meet all these amazing slalomers- I feel like I can barely skate myself.

So essentially I don't need to buy nice skates until I get better, and nobody know where to buy slalom skates in Beijing?

Sucks you'll not be in the US during the Championships. It would really be the best way to meet everyone. Don't worry about being "ready" to meet good slalomers. Everyone's friendly and happy to meet new faces, regardless of your level. And it's a great opportunity to pick up some pointers on your freestyle.

There is one more "nearby" event in the US Series, Battle Boston, September 16

https://www.facebook.com/events/350749064997630/

Alternatively, you could just hook with the NY slalom crew when they are out skating. I'll post a contact on your US Freestyle Skating Assoc Facebook thread.

Return to “Welcome”