A few questions for speed skaters..

Introduce yourself and ask anything you like about the forum or skating - no question too stupid

Moderator: Traffic warden

Mozpowerlifter
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

A few questions for speed skaters..

Postby Mozpowerlifter » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:52 am

Right guys a few questions but 1st some background...

Started skating when I was 13 (30 now!!) I skated aggressive until around the age of 20. I've always kept a pair of skates but hardly ever used them in the last 10 years just to roll down to the shop every now and then. 

In the mean time I've been competing in Powerlifting (squat, benchpress and deadlift). I've also been doing a fair whack of running and cycling for fun. 

Recently got back on skates doing the aggro stuff but also got some SEBA highs to do Slalom. Anyhow since back skating I've not really been the gym or doing any real fitness work... So here is my plan. Keep the aggro and slalom for fun, no pressure just enjoy being on skates rolling round hitting tricks and also do Speed skating/ distance for fitness/compete to give me goals and motivation and basically I'm a competitive person.

This is where I need your help. How do I get involved in speed skating? My SEBA's are mega comfortably, tight and quite light, could I put speed frames and wheels on for now to see if I like speed skating? Do you guys cross train? Running etc? 

Don't know if this helps... I'm in Northwich, Cheshire so I can travel to most places in the Northwest and go south towards Stoke.

Any questions answered or help would be gratefully appreciated.

Moz 

ephillips
Beach bum
Beach bum

Re: A few questions for speed skaters..

Postby ephillips » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:59 am

You can indeed stick some big wheels on your Sebas but by the time you've bought some decent frames and wheels separately you're most of the way towards a pair of stock Bont Jets in terms of cost.

Clubs are listed here, but I'm not sure how active they are:
http://www.inlinespeed.co.uk/FindaClub.html

Gregorezzi
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Re: A few questions for speed skaters..

Postby Gregorezzi » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:55 pm

Hi mate

I come from ice speed skating background, but doing inline speed in summer. I skate on Sunday's (whenever time allows) at 8:15pm at Silver Blades ice rink in Altrincham at short track speed skating session. Its about 10 to 15 of us. I'm 27 now and coming back gradually to proper skating after 8 years break.

I think SteRit is up to team up and skate in Alderley Edge or East Lancs cycle bypass. I thought of trafford center car park in terms of doing track circuit practice. You could sort something out some weekend and do some mixe fitness/speed skating. The more people the more fun. It would be really good to set up an inline speed skating club in north west and establish this sport here for good, get hound people involved. It's a great sport and so popular in Netherlands, France Italy even in Poland where I come from.

Personally I used to skate on speed set up ever since, 8 years back I was skating on 5 wheel raps magnesium frame with 84mm/84A wheels and raps carbon speed inline boots and it was fast... Then...but recently I got myself Bont Z 2 point fit boots with aluminum Bont 7050-t6 frame and 110mm/85A High Roller wheels and Jesa Swiss steel bearings which is better than ABEC-9 and I tell you- it a huge, huge difference how the technology went forward over past 8 years. It's so fast and responsive skate in compare with my old pair also speed type skates.

Let's team up and find some venues to skate together.

Return to “Welcome”