Hi from a -sort of- newbie

Introduce yourself and ask anything you like about the forum or skating - no question too stupid

Moderator: Traffic warden

Limskaya
Lurker

Hi from a -sort of- newbie

Postby Limskaya » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:11 pm

Hey all ^^

My name is Lims and I'm from Belgium. Been reading along here for a while lately, since finding a decent forum in Dutch with active ppl is fairly impossible and my English turns out to be better anyway. So I thought it might be time to introduce myself.

I'm getting back into skating, after what turns out to be a 10 year break. I was in speedskating competition from age 8 till 14, but quit then due to internal conflicts in our club and well, a lack of time to go training 6 to 8 hours a week. Now I'm an almost graduated student and I found out I have time again. Plus a very big urge to get back out there on wheels! Only difference is that now I have no more interest in the pure speedskating, as I'm not aiming at competition (I'll let Nele Armee do that for me, she still kicks as much ass as back in the day I see ^^). Right now I want to get into free skating in the city (in your face, cars, have fun being stuck in trafic!) and preferably learn to slalom in time (unless I fail horribly and break bones you're not even supposed to break), but probably also just going for a nice ride next to the water for 10km.

Don't have new skates yet and my oldies aren't exactly appropriate anymore =D The shoes are too big, unless I put a lot of filling in the front and I understand now how I managed to mess up my ankle for life in them. Also, I hate how much manouvrability I miss on the old 5 wheel frame. I tried on some recreational skates from a friend and wow, what a difference. So it's time for new gear!
But damn... So much out there! My local shop ordered Seba GTX84 to try on, but still waiting :( Too bad I can't try on Powerslide's anywhere near me (the shop isn't ordering them for me for now, since they're hard to sell here). Ordering online is scaring me a bit, since it's all so costly. My wallet is going to cry. I'm mostly looking for mobility (manouvrability mostly, but also not being slow like a turtle and limited to short distances), as slalom is on the program, but not my main priority (need to get the basics down again).

Plans for the future are ofc skating all over Belgium, but also trips to London, Paris, Rotterdam... Basically meeting ppl all over Europe and taking my skates with me wherever I go.

Apart from that I'm a giant geek, a cake decorator, a student, music freak and gamer.

Ok... TL;DR myself =D

Cya ^^

Jochen
Wannabe
Wannabe

Re: Hi from a -sort of- newbie

Postby Jochen » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:25 pm

Hi there,

sadly the Belgium forum at conecrazy.net was closed recently... But since you are from Belgium, I can recommend Battle Belgium 2012 to meet skaters (even though it doesn't sound like you are too much into freestyle, but let's see about this afterwards ;)). Website:

http://www.battlebelgium.be/

It is on September 15th and 16th right in the main train station in Antwerp! Really! Trains will go by right next to the competition place, it's incredible! :)

Jochen

Limskaya
Lurker

Re: Hi from a -sort of- newbie

Postby Limskaya » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:49 pm

I'll definatly come check it out ^^ would love to meet some Belgian skaters ^^

And freestyle looks awesome, it's certainly my goal. But I think it might take me a while to get there =D

Return to “Welcome”