Hello from a newbie with Seba Highs

Introduce yourself and ask anything you like about the forum or skating - no question too stupid

Moderator: Traffic warden

Justskate
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Hello from a newbie with Seba Highs

Postby Justskate » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:32 pm

Hello, my names Justin and I've been wanting to learn slalom skating after being totally inspired with YouTube videos.

I've been skating on and off for around 15 years but my 10 year old aggressive skates that I used to use needed replacing.

I took a day out and traveled down to proline skates in Cardiff so I could try the Seba Highs on first (as I was worried about sizing). They look great and fitted well (very snugg!).

I can only do about 20 minutes at a time due to my feet going numb from the bridge of my feet to the toes, I have tried loosening the laces and the centre buckle but I things it's the narrow boot killing me. I'm really hoping this is just the dreaded breaking in period that everyone talks about as I can do about 3hours on my old skates without a whiff of pain.

Loving this forum!

kazanaki
Wannabe
Wannabe

Re: Hello from a newbie with Seba Highs

Postby kazanaki » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:33 pm

Yes this is normal.

Seba skates need some time (weeks or a month) to break in.
Seba Highs are especially notorious regarding the break in time.

The payoff comes after the break-in period, where the skate should match your foot perfectly. :lol:

atlsk8r
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby atlsk8r » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:06 pm

What he said.

For Highs, at least, if your toes aren't going numb for a month of break-in, I'd worry you ordered too large a size.

The High liner is very thick and stiff. Short term, this means that areas where you have bumps in your foot will have to compress a lot of liner material, and the compression will be slow (due to stiffness). But this short term pain means long term gain as the boot should be locked in tight once broken in and the stiffness of the liner will hopefully keep that fit for longer than a softer liner (think old Solomon TR-9s) would.

For me at least, after painful break-in, the Highs were super comfortable, especially since my foot did not move around in them any.

Note - I didn't have a long break-in for Igors or KSJs. May be due to the thinner liner, I guess.

Domsablos
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Domsablos » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:02 pm

What model of High's do you have? I found the break in time for the most recent, 2011 ones was much faster than my Old GT's

Justskate
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby Justskate » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:54 pm

They are the 2011 Highs in black. The more I skate on them I'd say it's actually the bridge or my feet cramping after about 20 minutes. It's just not a pain I'm used to. I don't know if this will go in time and what is actually causing it.

They are fitted well, the pain eases up if I loosen the laces but it's still too much to persist. At the moment it's just short busts.

Return to “Welcome”