Goodwood Roller Marathon 8th August 2010

What, where, when and why

Moderator: Traffic warden

Sparky
New school
New school

Re: Goodwood Roller Marathon 8th August 2010

Postby Sparky » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:02 pm

Bish wrote:IÔÇÖm planning on doing this last minute working on the theory that ÔÇ£on the dayÔÇØ enrolment is not closed due to massive last minute demand ÔÇô can anyone confirm that?

website wrote:You will be able to register on the day however we cannot promise chip timing or a memento as well as the price being higher. Numbers will be ordered based on advanced sales. If this causes you a problem please contact us in advance. You will need to complete a Registration form on the day. Please note we can only accept cash payment for registrations on the day.

I reckon you'll be fine for the timer chip but I know the organisers would ask you to get there as early, they are may people to process between 10- 11.30am.

dogsbody
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby dogsbody » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:55 pm

Yup, what Sparky wrote from the website (y)

You will definitely be able to race we just can't promise a timing chip if you leave it till the last min. We have about 100 left but are also expecting around 100 on the day. After the chips are used up we still have 150 more race numbers that will give you access to the track.

If you haven't registered at all yet then print out the form from the website and bring it with you to save time ;)

If I could please ask people not to turn up at the last min anyway, We have been really good at starting the race dead on midday previous years but processing 900 odd skaters in 2 hours is already a tight task without you all turning up at 11:30 :P

Thank you and have a great day all! :)

GuinnessGirl
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby GuinnessGirl » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:19 pm

We'll be there about 10:30 Dan so let me know how I can help out :)

dogsbody
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby dogsbody » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:17 pm

Talk to Suzanne when you get there. We have split the roles up and she's be able to point you towards a job :-)

Bish
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby Bish » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:14 pm

What a great event. Many thanks to the organisers.

As a first marathon its also a 'personal best'.

A bonus is that and I did it in less time than I spent in Chichester A&E with embarassingly superficial scuffs. These I picked up by succeeding in avoiding wiping out two little kids on one lap then failing to avoid a prone fellow pace line member on the next.

Bella83
Old school
Old school

Postby Bella83 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:10 pm

Thanks, it was good bar the handholders Thanks Becca and Acidedge for the line
Well done Ed! and Sparky

peterm
Power slider
Power slider

Postby peterm » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:15 am

There's someone doing the dual on quads???

And he did it

PeterC
New school
New school

Postby PeterC » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:33 am

Way fun that it had any right to be considering my state, form and the crowds.

Well done all, when Mick (no, nout our's) said it was the biggest roller event in the UK I'd say you were that last year and perhaps the year before that.

What are you going to be like next year?

hatzi-katzi
New school
New school

Postby hatzi-katzi » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:49 am

I'm so happy, what great fun that was :-)

lurch
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby lurch » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:08 am

Great day out - had really been looking forward to it and it really delivered. Thanks Camberly!! I was so pleased I bought the t-shirt lol.

Toby
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Toby » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:29 am

As above- brilliant day... so funny weaving a pace line through clumps of people, spread-out, seemingly standing still on the tarmac too!

lurch
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby lurch » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:34 am

Indeed lol - don't dare take your eyes off the track ahead.

Look no Skywater
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby Look no Skywater » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:57 am

Yeah, I hope we inspired people more than we scared them as we weaved out line in and around people of all shapes and sizes. Paul was really shouty though which is more likely tohave pissed them off and or scared them. Fortunately, a lot of them were wearing headphones and didn't know what a gobby tosspot he was being in his "helpful" way. I guess he missed the memo at the beginning where is was announced that is was our responsibility to avoid them, not the other way around.

Had about 15+ in our line at some points. Was one of the best lines I have been in at Goodwood. Thanks to everyone else on it. I was on the second line out of the start for a while which was about the same size while I was there but it accelerated a bit outside my comfort zone a few times on the first couple of laps that I decided to leave it and chill while waiting for the next one at the beginning of lap 3 Was a lap and a half before the next one came around which I comfortably stuck with to the end. Quite a few others did likewise so we had some strong enough skaters to really drive the line. Not sure what Ben was doing out in front a lot of the time though. He was doing the dual. I hope it didn't kill him for the second half.

Bloody well done to pretty much everyone, but particularly to Sparky in his first event of that kind. Same thing for EdP in his first marathon. Tomislav and RichardH did amazingly too for their limited experience in these things. Well impressed.

Organisation as ever was fantastic. Thanks guys, you are amazing too!

peterm
Power slider
Power slider

Postby peterm » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:36 pm

Paul was really shouty though which is more likely tohave pissed them off and or scared them

Yes he did. Not a very pleasant individual, especially after the young girl he left crying. No doubt he'd claim it was for safety reasons but with a train as long as it was the outside would have been a better line to take, rather than trying to squeeze through such small gaps.

Apart from that I don't think the weaving in and out by smaller chains was an issue. In fact it made it entertaining to watch as the zipped past.

ephillips
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby ephillips » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:14 pm

Look no Skywater wrote:Bloody well done to pretty much everyone, but particularly to Sparky in his first event of that kind. Same thing for EdP in his first marathon. Tomislav and RichardH did amazingly too for their limited experience in these things. Well impressed.

Organisation as ever was fantastic. Thanks guys, you are amazing too!

Cheers Rick - was totally chuffed with the finish. 8th and 01:25 (I think). The organization was incredibly seamless - no queuing, no messing about, great atmosphere. It was an awesome day out.

Thanks to Toby, Markus, William, Paul and everyone in LSST who plied me with advice before hand.

Torbaydos
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Torbaydos » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:43 pm

peterm wrote:
Paul was really shouty though which is more likely tohave pissed them off and or scared them

Yes he did. Not a very pleasant individual, especially after the young girl he left crying. No doubt he'd claim it was for safety reasons but with a train as long as it was the outside would have been a better line to take, rather than trying to squeeze through such small gaps.

Apart from that I don't think the weaving in and out by smaller chains was an issue. In fact it made it entertaining to watch as the zipped past.

I was leading a line of 15 people and I had a 10 foot gap on the left - This was not a small gap. There were skaters on the outside so the inside was the only line to take. It did not appear an issue providing the skaters we were [under]taking maintained their trajectory. The little girl moved 6 foot to the left away from her Dad so I shouted to warn her as other wise I would have hit. I'm 12 stone travelling at 18mph - let alone the force of rest of the line which would have fallen on the pair of us should an impact have occurred.

I apologise to the little girl if I hurt her feelings, but I'd much rather read a post saying "Paul was unpleasant" than "The girl Paul hit has come out of intensive care and should be on solid food in the next couple of days".

I'm aware the memo was "It's the faster skaters responsibility.." but also "skaters should keep to the inside of the track to allow faster skaters to pass safely. "

I hope everyone else had as good a time as I did and thanks to the organisers!!

Look no Skywater
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby Look no Skywater » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:22 pm

Paul please take this constructively:

There are nicer ways of warning people of you presence than an aggressive sounding, "Get out of the way!" You weren't even leading the line at the time. You were about 4th when I heard that one and I was about 6 places back and was rather shocked by the tone and content. Sometimes we overreact when we are scarred of hitting people and don't notice them until late. Maybe you were looking down too much and saw the danger very late. Looking ahead is something you learn with experience. It will also keep your head up and save you back which will make you faster so a good thin all round. I nearly hit a few people when the line suddenly changed direction but I was always alert to the dangers as there were people all over the place in the first 5 laps. I was more concerned that the people behind me wouldn't see in time so I pointed out the danger.

The best thing to do is learn some line ettiquette. This applies to everyone as it was quite poor allround yesterday. Always try point out dangers to the people behind you by pointing down to the side where the danger is. This applies on the street as well as for people you are overtaking so also use it for man-hole covers, corners, bikes, parked vehicles, dog walkers, etc. Use double arms down for tram lines, cattle grids, bridge expansion gaps curbs. Arms swinging backwards and forwards to indicate bollards. By all means verbally communicate to your fellow paceliners to warn them of danger but never shout at someone you are overtaking unless it's a friendly, "Hello." That is enough to alert them to your presence and is totally non-aggressive. Even if you motives for doing so are completely innocent, it is always much better to shout to people than at people and you will not be perceived as an arse.

magichow
New school
New school

Postby magichow » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:29 pm

Thanks guys, amazing event as usual, weather really came out for you, as did the planes :)

GuinnessGirl
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby GuinnessGirl » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:27 pm

What an amazing event!

Camberly Crew - you are just brilliant, it ran so smoothly, and if you were stressed it didn't show! haha it was funny that I got asked to do car park directions - pure comedy as I don't know my left from my right but I managed to point in the right dircetions and also lure random spectators in who had turned up just to see what was on, and encourage them to donate so I hope they did!

Fish and chip - hahahaha, you have inspired me to do the panda head next year :mrgreen:

And well done to everyone who skated, it seemed that most people got faster times than previous years, there were many smiling pleased faces about. Those doing the double, you are all nutters and I am in awe of you all, and well Sparky, hey not bad for an old man LOL. Great to see panda on the podium again, and thanks to George and James and others for keeping him company out there. What was James winning time? Big well done to Ed too - and Lurch - you are just getting faster and faster!

Was also great to see so many of the LeMans team panda out there, made me feel all warm and glowy ({)

matty
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby matty » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:44 am

GuinnessGirl wrote:What an amazing event!

Was also great to see so many of the LeMans team panda out there, made me feel all warm and glowy ({)

very happy and proud to be a Les mans panda out there too..

i agree with all, an amazing best of british, pimms style event, the Venue is brilliant, the atmos perfect, the weather amazing and indeed a lovely day... well done to all especially all the podiums, and a special mention to Edmar who managed a podium even tho he had to deal with my driving and being shoe=horned into the back of a VW touran all the way from London... Nice one to all.. Brilliant !!!

:)

Return to “Events”