Brighton Skatefresh Skate Day 6th Aug 2011

What, where, when and why

Moderator: Traffic warden

asha
Power slider
Power slider

Brighton Skatefresh Skate Day 6th Aug 2011

Postby asha » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:27 pm

It's time to plan a day of skating by the sea. Skatefresh would love to invite you for fun (free) day of skating, chilling and seaside frollicks on Saturday 6th August. This year its Skatefresh's 12th birthday but we don't need any excuses to host the get together.

Skating starts at 1pm at the West Pier skate area (see map later on) and there will be spots for slalom all day, general skating and some time set aside for dancing (with some impromptu class for sure) and also the roller disco style set up and a slow gentle street skate along the seafront and back (leaving 4pm). We encourage picnics, refreshments (lots of shops and supermarkets close by and excellent Fish and Chips at the Regency next door).

Once again we have the priviledge of having Paul's thumpers coming along plus the asboxes to create the atmosphere.

Buy your train tickets before the day at southern rail and you can get them as cheap as £4 a journey. Free parking at the Marina all day.

I hope to see all the usual faces and representatives from Eastbourne and Camberley as well as the London crew. This is a rare opportunity for SKatefresh instructors and friends to have a whole day off, skating and not teaching and getting to know everyone better and welcoming more students (past and present) into the scene. We also hope to show Brighton what a real skate scene is, as the local skating contingency is growing and will benefit from the encouragement of seeing so many good skaters in town.

I hope you can make it. It's always so muhc fun for me to have everyone down and share my gorgeous skate spot on the beach. Bring swimsuits (although that never stops the essential cool down swim). I have ordered great weather once again.

6th August. Put it in your diaries....

Becca
New school
New school

Re: Brighton Skatefresh Skate Day 6th Aug 2011

Postby Becca » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:12 am

Bugger.
6th August is not a good day for this. Brighton Rockers Roller Derby have their first public home bout, and are going to be trying to get lots of people to come and watch! I will obviously be at the bout all day, as will pretty much anyone involved with roller derby and quite a few Brighton Skate people.

asha
Power slider
Power slider

Postby asha » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:59 am

That's a real bugger. There are no other pssible dates though as August already has ICP2, gay pride, Naomi's event and bank holiday. Does a roller Derby bout take all day? WHat are the actual hours of the bout. Can everyone come down after for a celebratory skate?

asha
Power slider
Power slider

Postby asha » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:03 am

I have located a very central camp site as several people (Bry + Gumbie et al) have already expressed a preference for camping for the weekend. Here'ssome details, but get calling and booking as it will be holiday time and this close to Brighton I'm sure it's popular. This place would be a 15 minute skate to and from the seafront (and very close to my house).

Sheepcote Valley Caravan Club Site
Sheepcote Valley
East Brighton Park
Brighton
East Sussex
BN2 5TS
tel: 01273 626 546

Bela, do you still have the name of the youth Hostel in Hove that you were talking about last year for those that don't want a night under the stars?

lurch
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby lurch » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:23 am

asha wrote:That's a real bugger. There are no other pssible dates though as August already has ICP2, gay pride, Naomi's event and bank holiday. Does a roller Derby bout take all day? WHat are the actual hours of the bout. Can everyone come down after for a celebratory skate?

And Goodwood.

asha
Power slider
Power slider

Postby asha » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:58 am

That's right, Goodwood. I did take all those into consideration and 6th August was only Saturday left! I'm hoping there's a way to encorporate the brighton Roller Derby girls (and Becca) for at least part of the day. Let us know the timings Becca and we'll see if it works to shift the street skate time or something.....

Dan B
New school
New school

Postby Dan B » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:59 am

To clarify: Goodwood is in August. Goodwood is not that weekend in August.

(It's the 14th)

Quadster
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby Quadster » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:22 pm

Whoa, time really flies! :?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34657&p=498948#p498948

That was my first ever post on this forum.

I'd only started skating a day or two earlier, so I was a bit worried about attending Asha's 2010 Skatefresh Beach event with a bunch of experienced skaters. However, the event sounded like it was going to be such fun that I decided to pluck up the courage and go anyway.

I didn't know a single person there, so I spent most of my time just watching from the sidelines, and I only skated for a few minutes towards the end because I didn't want to make a fool of myself in front of all those people! Despite this I still had a great time. The atmosphere was fantastic and very friendly, and it's how I got to meet Liam, Melody and Asha which, in turn, led to where I am now skate-wise.

I'll definitely be going again this year because it wil mark my first full year of roller skating (as an adult). If's it's anywhere near as good as last year, then it will be an absolute blast.

I hope that something can be worked out that will allow Becca and the other Derby girls to attend, even if it's only for part of the the day.

Sparky
New school
New school

Postby Sparky » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:23 am

Wooo, really going to try to make it this year.

Quadster
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby Quadster » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:29 pm

Just wondering, is there a Facebook event page up for this?

It'd be interesting to gauge potential attendance by using the Event Page's RSVP.

Jennie
Lurker

Postby Jennie » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:42 pm

I'll be there hopefully, and I'll send the info to the skaters I know down here who go to the Rollerdiscos around the place... xxx

Beanie
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby Beanie » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:14 pm

Asha will definately be there if I can. Will bring.the eastbourne posse with me and as many of the tea stoppers as I can muster.

asha
Power slider
Power slider

Postby asha » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:59 pm

Yes, I wil be doing a Facebook event and invite for this, just finishing off a page on the website with event details and some photos and videos from the previous 2 years.

I am so hppy and impressed that Quadster's firts skating outing was this event last year. Very few people have made the kind of progress he has. It's phenomenal. I will be insisting on a demo and look forward to skating more.

Thanks to all who are planning on coming. I really am looking forwards to it and hoping people will have a relaxing and fun weekend. Get the campsites, hostels and hotels booked, as Brighton is popular in summer.

Mick
New school
New school

Postby Mick » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:13 pm

asha wrote:I am so hppy and impressed that Quadster's firts skating outing was this event last year. Very few people have made the kind of progress he has. It's phenomenal. I will be insisting on a demo and look forward to skating more.

And there's the style too! Amazing stuff, Quadster. Picking things up quite so quickly shouldn't be allowed :P

kris
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby kris » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:39 am

cant wait ,
BRIGHTON SKATE roll out

Quadster
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby Quadster » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:47 pm

asha wrote:I am so happy and impressed that Quadster's first skating outing was this event last year. Very few people have made the kind of progress he has. It's phenomenal.

Mick wrote:And there's the style too! Amazing stuff, Quadster.

Er ... :oops:

thanks guys! :lol:

Asha has created a Facebook Event page which you can find here: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=170026316394299
Use the 'Select Guests to Invite' button (located just above the list of people who are attending) to send invites to your friends.

By the way, can anyone who lives in Brighton explain what's currently going on with the West Pier skate pad area? Recent photo's that I've seen show it strewn with building materials, vans etc. which will surely be a problem if that's all still there in 2 weeks time.

Stevie B
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby Stevie B » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:47 pm

Whoop whoop... this year is going to be brilliant. As well as extra sound we will be able to do live djing...

Champagnesuppanova
Wannabe
Wannabe
Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Postby Champagnesuppanova » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:02 pm

Stevie B wrote:Whoop whoop... this year is going to be brilliant. As well as extra sound we will be able to do live djing...

under a barge by any chance? hehehe :lol:

Quadster
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby Quadster » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:07 pm

Here is a map link (as mentioned in the opening post) for those of you who don't know where the West Pier Skate Pad area is:

http://tinyurl.com/Brighton-SkatePad

Stevie B
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby Stevie B » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:21 am

Whoooooooooooh.......ITS THIS SAT!!!!!

Return to “Events”