Traffic Warden

Postby BigSteev » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:19 pm

That's the one.

guesty
New school
New school

Postby guesty » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:30 pm

Slezzer wrote:
guesty wrote:Cherry and I went skating around Paternoster Sq the other night; I was quite surprised when, after ten minutes or so, a security guard came out and walked right past us w'out saying a thing.

How come whenever I try to use the square as a cut through on my way to work I get yelled at?

I had to completely change my route because of the hassle.

The new route is considerably faster, but not nearly as safe.

well it was 2.30 am, sunday night - he probably just had no fight left in him.

steph
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby steph » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:52 pm

BigSteev wrote:That's the one.

I skated past there more or less every day last year on my way to and from work. Don't ever remember seeing any signs about not skating. It's fucking dangerous when it's wet tho'

rikabel
Power slider
Power slider

Postby rikabel » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:57 pm

They are somewhat discreet engraved steel plaques, so don't leap out at you, but there are a lot of them, on all the granite seats, etc.

Yeah, it's a <scottish accent>potential deathtrap</scottish accent> when wet...nice, swoopy fun otherwise, though. And Ken can hardly complain, what with being all into that alternative transport malarkey.

BigSteev
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby BigSteev » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:03 pm

rikabel wrote: And Ken can hardly complain, what with being all into that alternative transport malarkey.

That thing he pays lip service to while swanning around in (overpriced) cabs?

rikabel
Power slider
Power slider

Postby rikabel » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:31 pm

But but but, doesn't he *famously* take the Tube to work?

yeah, right.

Milezee
New school
New school

Postby Milezee » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:42 pm

rikabel - how 'bout monday evening?

Patrick
Old school
Old school

Postby Patrick » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:05 pm

rikabel wrote:They are somewhat discreet engraved steel plaques, so don't leap out at you, but there are a lot of them, on all the granite seats, etc.
Oooh, I've been told once not to skate around the Scoop (or inside, for that matter), but noone as ever told me not to skate along the river. Plus, there's only 1 or 2 guards, by the time they're close enough to be heard we skate on the other side, around the GLA.

GLC?

What's the name of that building? I used to call it the Death Star because it looked just like an unfinished one, but now that it's finished, I can see it's firmly attached to the ground and I'm relieved.

DanG
New school
New school

Postby DanG » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:06 pm

i was told by the guards that passing through is fine, but we can't skate around the building/hang out/etc

Patrick
Old school
Old school

Postby Patrick » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:09 pm

Yeah but if you want to admire Yann's photography (not that you've not seen these pics 100 times over the last 5 years or so), you have to hang around, don't you?

I can definitely see a few skaters arguing with the guards just for the sake of arguing...

rikabel
Power slider
Power slider

Postby rikabel » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:15 pm

Maybe they don't bother me because I wear my Mexican Wrestler mask and insist on being addressed as 'El Diablo'?

Milezee - Monday, sure! Let's *pencil it in*. And if anyone else tells you I am unreliable and don't turn up for planned Night Skates, well, it happened once, but never again!

Milezee
New school
New school

Postby Milezee » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:15 pm

Patrick wrote:GLC?

I think its know as City Hall. Very Gotham.

guesty
New school
New school

Postby guesty » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:26 pm

DanG wrote:i was told by the guards that passing through is fine, but we can't skate around the building/hang out/etc

The guards are on the skater-boarders' pay-roll.

BTW does anyone know why in particular skating is singled out as a no-no in so many public places? I mean, fair enough, indoor shopping arcades might be too cramped, but theres plenty of room around most of these squares and such.

they used to say it was that the wheels maked the surface but thats a crock, chewinggum and food do that..

do you think that perhaps they think it discourages peds from using the area and therefore isnt good for business?

BigSteev
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby BigSteev » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:29 pm

Generally I'd say it's a combination of them not wanting the risk of ped/skater collisions and them not being able to differentiate between rec skaters and aggro ones that cause damage when they grind on bits of buildings.

guesty
New school
New school

Postby guesty » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:36 pm

then why are there no signs saying no pedestrians?

i agree on the aggro though.

perhaps it wouldnt be as much fun to skate around a city that totally welcomed us with open arms.

rikabel
Power slider
Power slider

Postby rikabel » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:40 pm

Speaking as someone who has skated quite a bit in a city where blading is positively encouraged (Vancouver - skate lanes in the park and everything, LOADS of hire shops, folks smile as you go past), it is my opinion that skating where you are welcomed with open arms totally rocks. But then, I love skating in London, too.

The main difference is if you stack - in Canada you are guaranteed to get at least five people rushing up to check if you are okay...we all know what happens in London - 'ha ha, you silly facking c**t'. Makes me proud to be English, sniff...

BigSteev
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby BigSteev » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:41 pm

guesty wrote:then why are there no signs saying no pedestrians?

Because (as LS-Mike delights in telling us) the pedestrian is king and is able to wander pretty much where he or she likes, be that on the pavement, in plazas or in the case of the twat on my way home the other night straight out into the road in front of my car.

John
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby John » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:45 pm

I had the same last night. This guy starts walking over the road, looks at me realises he isn't going to make it before I get too close and looks really pissed off that he has to tun back. I mean, you don't walk out into a road without checking that it's safe do you? What a plonker.

guesty
New school
New school

Postby guesty » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:49 pm

darwin had a theory on these ppl, and before the motor car too.

Slezzer
Old school
Old school

Postby Slezzer » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:12 pm

guesty wrote:darwin had a theory on these ppl, and before the motor car too.

Ah yes, but didn't Bush just disprove that or something.

He's started talking about "intelligent design". He should know. There is very little chance of Dubya having evolved according to Darwinian theory.

Then again, you do get parasites...

Return to “London Scene”