Wow! Eton Rowing Lake in Dorney near Maidenhead

London gossip and skating chat

Moderator: Traffic warden

24kendo
Lurker

Wow! Eton Rowing Lake in Dorney near Maidenhead

Postby 24kendo » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:49 pm

Hello

I live in Maidenhead and have been skating for the last year mainly in London. I even skated now and again at Lee Valley while I worked in New Spitalfields Market. I was amazed to find Eton rowing lake right on my doorstep with two adjacent 5 km smooth, fast running, tranquil (lots of birdlife like Serpentine), tarmac laid cycle path and single track road WOW. They are even digging a second lake right next door. I turned up parked and skated, spoke to a couple of dog walkers and a coach for the rowers, he just said avoid the inner path when the coach is on his bike with a megaphone, no problem!

So I recommend it check out http://www.dorneylake.com perfect for a quiet day away from the crowds at a quick pace.

See you there?!

Ken

lemming
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby lemming » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:05 pm

It's true - it is a GREAT venue - perfect surface. Not so good if you want to practice your cross-overs, but otherwise it's great. Myself and the cskate guys use it quite a lot. When it warms up I'm likely to be there fairly regularly, as London is just a push too far.

I think this was posted on lsst a few months ago. You'll see me there eventually, almost for sure.

Slezzer
Old school
Old school

Postby Slezzer » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:38 pm

I remember it from my rowing/coxing/coaching days. The paths were pretty much spot on for skating, but I didn't have my skates with me and didn't have any time for it anyway.

If anyone lives in the area and wants somewhere to skate it would be a very good location.

Suzanne (AKA Red)
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby Suzanne (AKA Red) » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:13 pm

lemming wrote:It's true - it is a GREAT venue - perfect surface. .... Myself and the cskate guys use it quite a lot............

We sure do, it's fantastic for practising speed and length of stride. So it's thumbs-up from the Camberley Skaters (yes Camberley, that place down the M3, with grass around it!!)

Doctor
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby Doctor » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:19 am

Also in the same area is Windsor Great Park.

The long walk from the castle to the copper horse is a really great piece of skating. Just be beware of fast moving cars of the royal family they stop for no one.

Drakey
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby Drakey » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:14 am

Shh!!!
it's our secret!!!!! ;) :lol:

yeah it's a great place to practice plus it's got distance markers at 250metre intervals, at least you know how far you've travelled!!

might see you up there some time!! (y)

Ted
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby Ted » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:47 am

With the daylight changes happening soon is anyone up for one evening skating around here one evening a week.

lemming
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby lemming » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:35 pm

I'm intending to be there on Tuesdays at least. Not this week, but from 4th April. Should be there from 6ish or 7ish depending on work.

Watch for the shiny speed skates... that's me.

Doug
Old school
Old school

Postby Doug » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:47 pm

Slezzer wrote:I remember it from my rowing/coxing/coaching days.
Were you the anchor?

Mickey2Names
deleted account

Postby Mickey2Names » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:57 pm

lemming wrote:Watch for the shiny speed skates... that's me.

Bling bling boy! Wait till I get mine innit.

Doug, that's very disrespectful. Funny though.

lemming
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby lemming » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:23 pm

I'm thinking about an upgrade to those bonts too - probably not the three mount system though.

By the way, I'll be posting additional trips to dorney at cskate.co.uk, not here - mostly 'cos you lot already have nice places to train and won't want to come out to play at dorney...

Ted
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby Ted » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:53 pm

Cannot make that Tuesday but the next week. There are a couple of other people I know who are interested.

lemming
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby lemming » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:24 pm

I'm intending to make it a weekly thing, so as long as it's dry, I'll be there (mostly).

guesty
New school
New school

Postby guesty » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:57 am

Suzanne (AKA Red) wrote:(yes Camberley, that place down the M3, with grass around it!!)

lots of beautiful ferny evergreen forrests in my day, ('80 - '81)

Return to “London Scene”