New school
New school

Postby PeterC » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:36 pm

I'm not a fan either.

guesty
New school
New school

Postby guesty » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:42 pm

i get tinitus so it makes little difference. still annoying though.

Ted
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby Ted » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:19 pm

I hate it when they are blown right in my ear, but cannot believe some people complaining about the noise of the skate. Is it a street skate or a funeral march?

Cedy
New school
New school

Postby Cedy » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:41 pm

They should be banned, it make marshaling a little less enjoyable.

Look no Skywater
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby Look no Skywater » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:49 pm

Ted wrote:I hate it when they are blown right in my ear, but cannot believe some people complaining about the noise of the skate. Is it a street skate or a funeral march?

We have sound systems playing music that people like to listen to. Whistles were big when we had no music, since the advent of sound they have disappeared and the atmosphere has been anything but dead.

lightnix
Power slider
Power slider

Postby lightnix » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:41 am

blob wrote:Don't hide behind the annonymous voting system and have a good argument with me! lol
OK then...

For a bunch of allegedly "fun loving" people, there are some right old miseries in here, not to mention some short memories and some downright hypocrites. Jeez... talk about Turning Into Your Parents :P

I recall the days of early Wednesday sound systems, before the "audio drought", when whistles were commonplace. If anything they seemed to die out when the music went away, which was a shame as I always thought they added to the party atmos. I can't say I've noticed an increase in whistling on Fridays, either, on music-free nights.

Sorry people, but this is just typical of the petty, nit-picky, finger-pointing, holier-than-thou attitude that seems to be creeping into every corner of UK life these days; where people's little foibles and idiosyncrasies are suddenly blown up into being major personality defects, often (it seems) by people who then go on to accuse others of being "judgemental" when the fingers start pointing their way :x

Maybe Mr. B should start calling...

"LONDON SKATERS MAKE SOME NOISE (unless it's with a whistle, bell or horn - because you might upset somebody and infringe their Human Right to Perfect Happiness)".

...Not much of a ring to it, but hey - we can't have people being offended on the skate, now can we?

Ted wrote:...Is it a street skate or a funeral march?
Well said, my thoughts exactly.

SpunkyTheMonkey wrote:it's the bike bells i can't stand...
Oh puh-leeeeeze :(

I'm actually quite missing my little finger bell at the mo, not only because I could ping along a bit to fave tracks, but also sound a gentle warning to those whom I was about to overtake. I welcome them, as I find they help to build up a better mental picture of what's going on around me.

Cedy wrote:They should be banned, it make marshaling a little less enjoyable.
Or maybe you should ask yourself whether that's a good attitude for a marshal to carry ;)

Cardo wrote:And when blown all of a sudden, people around... can be stunned and cause stacks.
Then maybe they don't have quite the skill level required for a street skate and need more practice. I mean, if all it takes is a whistle to make them stack...

Anyway, I think I can safely say that in all my years of street skating (including a few Amsterdam runs, pre-London), I have never seen a stack caused by a whistle. Sorry, Cardo, but I think you're making it up :P

Oh, but hang on a minute, when it comes to causing stacks...

Barrie wrote:Yup, any loud noise right in my ears is unwanted, I've always been tempted by LnS's solution...
Look no Skywater wrote:...I have elbowed inconsiderate tossers in the past for blowing them near my ears and am completely prepared to do so again. No more warnings.
So what are you saying Luke? That if somebody whistles too close to you, then you'll actually assault them, maybe knocking them over? And this, from one of the people who (presumably) implores others to "skate safely"?

Sorry, but (n)

In summary, I think there's more than one person in this thread who needs to Get A Life. I have a couple spare knocking around somewhere, if anyone would like to borrow one while they look ;) :P

Failing that just buy some earplugs, stay the back or (better still) just stay at home and leave the skates to those who know how to enjoy them.

Is that a good enough argument, blob?

I voted YES, by the way :lol:

mark b
New school
New school

Postby mark b » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:37 am

I think its an in moderation thing.

The reason they were more common before the audio drought" was because we used to have a big bag full of them to hand out. All with urban Rights Logos on it. Now we arnt sponsored by the skate company we were so we can concertrate on things like "your saftey" rather then "handing out flyers" and because of that there are less things to give away like that.

I'm sure more plans are in progress.

Frannybee
Power slider
Power slider

Postby Frannybee » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:01 am

Popular Noisy Toys
dB Level
Toy cap gun 105-110
Whistle 106
Police car 96
CD player 97-103
Keyboard 104
Drum 103
Xylophone 92
Rattle 102

The Control of Noise at Work Regulations 2005 replace the Noise at Work Regulations 1989 (except for the music and entertainment sectors where the 1989 Regulations will continue to apply until 6 April 2008). The level at which employers must provide hearing protection and hearing protection zones is now 85 decibels (daily or weekly average exposure) and the level at which employers must assess the risk to workers' health and provide them with information and training is now 80 decibels. There is also an exposure limit value of 87 decibels, taking account of any reduction in exposure provided by hearing protection, above which workers must not be exposed.

I know it's not a workplace but the info's useful to know anyway. Permanent hearing loss is a very real risk with whistles and high-volume music. You can choose to skate a bit further away from the music source, but if some plonker blows a whistle right next to your ear, you can't avoid it. I'd be out for blood if I ended up deaf thanks to someone else's carelessness. I think there's a place for whistles on skates, just not in the middle of the skaters and not for long periods.

Info from here and here.

Patrick
Old school
Old school

Postby Patrick » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:24 am

Frannybee wrote:You can choose to skate a bit further away from the music source, but if some plonker blows a whistle right next to your ear, you can't avoid it.
The problem is the plonker, not the whistle. If an idiot decides to kick your skates, you're very likely to fall, too.

And you can't skate away from the asboxes - the loud and cheerful music follows you everywhere!

So I propose a ban on idiots, not on whistles and music.

blob
New school
New school

Postby blob » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:52 am

lightnix wrote:Is that a good enough argument, blob?

Yes, but I really can't be bothered to answer such mass of bollo.x talk.

seriously, who are you?

steph
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby steph » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:58 am

Patrick wrote:
Frannybee wrote:You can choose to skate a bit further away from the music source, but if some plonker blows a whistle right next to your ear, you can't avoid it.
The problem is the plonker, not the whistle. If an idiot decides to kick your skates, you're very likely to fall, too.

And you can't skate away from the asboxes - the loud and cheerful music follows you everywhere!

So I propose a ban on idiots, not on whistles and music.

It's not just the volume, it's the pitch. ASBOxes are loud but not amazingly so. But the high pitch of a whistle. Piercing. AAArg made me jump every time someone did it last year.

lightnix
Power slider
Power slider

Postby lightnix » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:27 am

Frannybee wrote:Popular Noisy Toys
dB Level
Whistle 106

The Control of Noise at Work Regulations 2005... 85 decibels (daily or weekly average exposure) and the level at which employers must assess the risk to workers' health and provide them with information and training is now 80 decibels.

Ermmm.... yeeessss. The CNWR2005 doesn't automatically ban high volume levels, just the length of exposure to them (although that is a slight generalisation). A short blast on a whistle, even from a metre or two away, while it may contribute quite a bit towards the weekly / monthly allowable exposure, may also not, by itself, be "illegal".

I know it's not a workplace...
Actually, "it" could possibly be construed as one. Voluntary or not, the HSE could easily regard marshals as "employees" of LondonSkate, because they are acting under the instructions of said organisation, in carrying out their marshalling duties. Therefore the route(s) of the Skate(s) could be viewed as their "workplace", which must be "made safe" by their employers (LS). Even though members of the public who have joined the Skate(s) are not "employees", it could also be argued (in court) that the organisers of the Skate still have a Duty Of Care towards them.

If that were the case, then there should already warning signs on the bike and ASBOXes, regarding noise levels that are potentially hazardous to hearing and recommending a minimum safe distance from each. To make absolutely sure that people are aware of this, maybe there should be an "ASBOX / Bike marshal", patrolling the skate and warning / reminding people about the risk.

Similarly, maybe there should be warning signs about whistles and people wearing flashing bike lights, which may trigger photosensitive epilepsy. Maybe there should be warning signs about every little thing that may cause harm: rough surfaces, hills, potholes, trafffic, pedestrians, speed bumps, dehydration, other skaters / marshals consuming alcohol, the smoke from people's cigarettes / joints, etc., etc., etc... ad nauseum

The point I'm trying to make here, is that you need to be very careful about trying to cherry pick and selectively quote little bits of H&S legislation in order to back up an arguement; it can open all sorts of nasty cans of worms. Apart from that: surely, on an intrinsically high-risk activity like a street skate, there are other, more serious and potentially fatal

For instance: are the skates used by the marshals subject to a regular regime of inspection, testing and maintenance? Under PUWER it might be argued that they should be...

... but personally I'd rather it wasn't :)

Like I said, if you don't like whistles, maybe you should move towards the back, if only because when a whistle is blown, the sound travels mainly (der!) forwards. If it's really that much of an issue, maybe the Skates should consider establishing "Quiet Zones", where whistles and the like are barred; at least it might free up an ASBOX for the Party People ;)

Edit:
blob wrote:
lightnix wrote:Is that a good enough argument, blob?

Yes, but I really can't be bothered to answer such mass of bollo.x talk.

seriously, who are you?
Aaaaaahhhh... abuse instead of arguement, obviously you had no real arguement to offer in the first place, to back up your petty little prejudices :lol:

Who am I? I'm the one with the whistle 8)

dan_b
Lurker

Postby dan_b » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:37 am

It doesn't matter how much you argue, it's not going to change the opinion of anyone who's had a whistle blown in their ear and didn't enjoy it.

"Hay, it made me jump and gave me temporary deafness, but now I've read five paragraphs about health and safety at work, I can see the funny side after all"

blob
New school
New school

Postby blob » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:38 am

lightnix wrote:Blah Blah Blah

*yawns* You sound like someone I know.

Is your name Marc?

Cardo
New school
New school

Postby Cardo » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:42 am

I've seen assaults being mentioned. I wonder if blowing a whistle in someone's ear could be counted as an assault. Granted, it probably isn't intentional, but there's always wreckless.

Horns, bells, that I don't mind. But whistles cause me pain, and that I can do without.

lightnix
Power slider
Power slider

Postby lightnix » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:43 am

dan_b wrote:It doesn't matter how much you argue, it's not going to change the opinion of anyone who's had a whistle blown in their ear and didn't enjoy it...
Surprisingly, it's actually happened to me too, a couple of times and NO, it wasn't the most fantastic experience.

The difference is, I got over it :)

dan_b
Lurker

Postby dan_b » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:46 am

So, you want it to happen again?

mark b
New school
New school

Postby mark b » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:57 am

blob wrote:Is your name Marc?
you serious need to improve your level of reading, start with the basics C is a the start and K is in the middle of the alphabet.

BigSteev
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby BigSteev » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:00 am

mark b wrote:
blob wrote:Is your name Marc?
you serious need to improve your level of reading, start with the basics C is a the start and K is in the middle of the alphabet.

Guilty conscience? Maybe he wasn't refering to you?

mark b
New school
New school

Postby mark b » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:05 am

BigSteev wrote:Guilty conscience? Maybe he wasn't refering to you?
Nah Blobs only got 2 thought processes

1. Sex
2. Obsession.

Thankfully I dont come in to the first category, or at least I hope.

Still if theres one thing which is boring is banging on on how boring something is. Change the record.
Last edited by mark b on Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “London Scene”