mark b
New school
New school

Postby mark b » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:07 am

21ts Century Sun Newspaper Reporter wrote:gotcha! lol :mrgreen:

Mickey2Names
deleted account

Postby Mickey2Names » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:08 am

I imagine he was referring to Marc, not you, you bloody gerbil.

Look no Skywater
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby Look no Skywater » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:57 am

I'll say it again for the benefit of lightnix with a bit more detail. My ears resonate at two slightly different frequencies about a semi-tone apart. When a loud shrill tone is made within a metre or so of my ear it causes me physical pain. Within elbow distance it's excrutiating. Further away I can just cover my ear and shout at them but it's not some psychological condition of disliking whistles. They are fine in open spaces but every time they are used on the space and people blow them while we are stationary it is unavoidable that they will be within dangerous earshot of someone. If it's me then my instincts are to protect myself. They are assaulting me with a sonic "weapon", deliberate or not, a little prod with my elbow to the person standing assaulting me is self-defence as it stops them doing it and they probably won't do it again. The response is proportionate and immediate.

I'm not talking about a Da Rossi elbow in the face of McBride here. I am not a blunt, however, anyone inconsiderate enough to deafen me is. If I ruin their fun for a couple of minutes then it's better than them ruining my hearing. If they blow it close but not that close then I ask them or tell them not to blow them near me.

If this longer post still upsets you then tough titty. I am not going to get into a right and wrong debate here. If you cause me pain I have the right to respond and so does everyone else.

If this whole thread has raised the awareness of the inconsiderate whistle blower to be more comsiderate then it has done a good job....but I don't think Faris reads the forum. ;)

BigSteev
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby BigSteev » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:09 pm

Look no Skywater wrote: The response is proportionate and immediate.

I have the right to respond and so does everyone else.

LNS is currently working in PR for the Isreali government.

SpunkyTheMonkey
Power slider
Power slider

Postby SpunkyTheMonkey » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:29 pm

lightnix wrote:
I know it's not a workplace...
Actually, "it" could possibly be construed as one. Voluntary or not, the HSE could easily regard marshals as "employees" of LondonSkate

not really relevant to the discussion, but for the record, absolutely not.

as far as the HSE is concerned, you are "at work" if you are "getting paid to be there". it has no jurisdiction over someone who is *not* being paid to be there.

as a PADI diving instructor i have a large and sometimes ridiculous set of HSE regulations i have to adhere to, BSAC diving instructors (voluntary organisation where the instructor does not get paid) don't have to follow any HSE regs at all.

Cardo
New school
New school

Postby Cardo » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:32 pm

SpunkyTheMonkey wrote:
lightnix wrote:
I know it's not a workplace...
Actually, "it" could possibly be construed as one. Voluntary or not, the HSE could easily regard marshals as "employees" of LondonSkate

not really relevant to the discussion, but for the record, absolutely not.

as far as the HSE is concerned, you are "at work" if you are "getting paid to be there". it has no jurisdiction over someone who is *not* being paid to be there.

as a PADI diving instructor i have a large and sometimes ridiculous set of HSE regulations i have to adhere to, BSAC diving instructors (voluntary organisation where the instructor does not get paid) don't have to follow any HSE regs at all.

Interesting. When I volunteered for St. John Ambulance, there was no payment there, yet they still fell under all the HSE regs. I had to do a manual handling course, and all.

pickledherring
New school
New school

Postby pickledherring » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:03 pm

Whistles are annoying. They also hurt.

It also makes the skate look like a bunch of moron critical mass riders.

guesty
New school
New school

Postby guesty » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:03 pm

Look no Skywater wrote:When a loud shrill tone is made within a metre or so of my ear it causes me physical pain.

listening to you and Rich singing one hit wonders all the way home from The Alps you might think you would have been in considerable pain, especially with regards Stock, Aiken and Waterman numbers, though maybe thats what caused the condition.

(or maybe you Have Senses Working Overtime... groan)

pickledherring wrote:They also hurt.

just have to swing em right!

Tanya G
New school
New school

Postby Tanya G » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:22 pm

Recreational clubs do not need to follow a specific HSE acts but we are monitored by them, we also aim to comply with their "Approved Code of Practice" for recreational diving.

Our UK BSAC schools do need to meet the HSE act and are clasified as commercial.

SpunkyTheMonkey
Power slider
Power slider

Postby SpunkyTheMonkey » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:25 pm

Tanya G wrote:Our UK BSAC schools do need to meet the HSE act and are clasified as commercial.

really? does that mean if you're teaching at a BSAC *school* rather than a club that you're getting paid?

Cardo wrote:Interesting. When I volunteered for St. John Ambulance, there was no payment there, yet they still fell under all the HSE regs. I had to do a manual handling course, and all.

that's just wierd. a non-commercial diving instructor is allowed to take you underwater and (worst case obviously) get you killed but you had to do a course on how to lift without putting your back out? :)

/thread-hijack

lightnix
Power slider
Power slider

Postby lightnix » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:02 pm

Look no Skywater wrote:I'll say it again for the benefit of lightnix with a bit more detail. My ears resonate at two slightly different frequencies about a semi-tone apart...
Well, I have to say that I didn't know that and you have my honest sympathy, even so.

Would you think it reasonable, for someone who had joined the skates without wrist / elbow / knee pads, to complain that others were skating too close? How would you feel about somebody with damaged knees, demanding that the skate be slowed down so that they could keep up, especially if they weren't wearing any kind of support for it?

Sorry mate, but there are other ways of protecting yourself, other than yelling lashing out at those around you; ear protection, for example. Apart from that, many people don't know who you are or what you look like, you make no attempt to forewarn people on the Skate of your condition, say - with a sign on your back or something; you just expect everyone around you to somehow know you have a problem and get all arsey if they don't.

Look no Skywater wrote:They are assaulting me with a sonic "weapon", deliberate or not, a little prod with my elbow to the person standing assaulting me is self-defence as it stops them doing it...
Emotive claims of perceived assault aside, what you are doing is not self-defence - it's retaliation and no, it certainly wouldn't stop me doing it.

Like I say, I'm sorry you have this problem, but with respect, I think you're being unreasonable (and a potential danger to other skaters).

dan_b
Lurker

Postby dan_b » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:07 pm

lightnix wrote:Apart from that, many people don't know who you are or what you look like, you make no attempt to forewarn people on the Skate of your condition, say - with a sign on your back or something.

Au contraire - he often wears a sign on his back. It says "FRONT". When it doesn't say "FRONT" it says "MARSHAL". And I'm going to make a guess that wearing ear protection is probably going to interfere with his ability to use the radio headset that lets him communicate with other marshals

blob
New school
New school

Postby blob » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:10 pm

lightnix wrote:Apart from that, many people don't know who you are or what you look like, you make no attempt to forewarn people on the Skate of your condition, say - with a sign on your back or something

Funny you say that, cause most people on the skate know exactly who he is. And even funnier cause most time he does have a BIG sign on his back. HA HA HA.

But no one seems to know who YOU are!

lightnix
Power slider
Power slider

Postby lightnix » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:17 pm

dan_b wrote:Au contraire - he often wears a sign on his back. It says "FRONT". When it doesn't say "FRONT" it says "MARSHAL"...
Does it say, "Please avoid whistling near me, it badly affects my hearing".

Ah.

blob wrote:But no one seems to know who YOU are!
Maybe that's just the way I happen to like it 8)

rog
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby rog » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:37 pm

I'm very sorry to hear about LnS ear problem, but I don't think ear conditions or anything else gives someone the right to hit/nudge/flick other people.

I saw a little girl fly over a wall and land in a canal once, all because someone thought it was socially acceptable behaviour to swing their arm around their body whenever they felt a sharp pain in their balls. The little girl had accidentally hit a bloke in the pills. Lucky for him it was a canal and not a motorway on the other side of the wall.

Ted
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby Ted » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:37 pm

I can see LNS point it seems most of the whistles are at the front where people are packed together and there is more chance of a whistle going off in your ear.

dan_b
Lurker

Postby dan_b » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:40 pm

rog wrote:The little girl had accidentally hit a bloke in the pills.

A charming anecdote, but I find it hard to believe that anybody is going to accidentally blow a whistle near Rick. If your actions are that uncontrollable, best to leave the whistle at home, I'd have thought

Patrick
Old school
Old school

Postby Patrick » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:52 pm

Wouldn't it be just easier for Rick, and others, to say, at the begining of the skate "please do not blow whistles in our ears"? Going all Zidane on a fellow skater is something we should avoid - especially us marshalls.

And Rick is not the only one at fault in that department... :evil:

blob
New school
New school

Postby blob » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:56 pm

plus, having a wistle is dangerous for yourself. if you fall you may swallow it and die.

Return to “London Scene”