92%
No
8%

Total votes: 12

Gerbil
New school
New school

Postby Gerbil » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:45 pm

Alan wrote:You generally travel across the wind, and it is possible to travel up it by zig zagging.
I thought that only worked with sail's ?
ie the big triagular ones attached to a mast an all ?

Evil Alan
New school
New school

Postby Evil Alan » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:46 pm

The wind was hit and miss, but I did manage a few nice pendulum jumps.

John
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby John » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:47 pm

Gerbil wrote:
Alan wrote:You generally travel across the wind, and it is possible to travel up it by zig zagging.
I thought that only worked with sail's ?
ie the big triagular ones attached to a mast an all ?

works with kites too - same principle

Evil Alan
New school
New school

Postby Evil Alan » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:48 pm

The kites are generally foils. They generate lift by traveling through the wind in the same way a regular sail does. You can actually travel faster than the wind speed. These aren't the single string diamond shaped afairs you may remember from your childhood.

Doug
Old school
Old school

Postby Doug » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:44 pm

I presume you guys will have a better idea for the time of year or even month we should plan this, I know the is very random but most of us will need about a weeks notice prior to.

Richmond is quite common for kiting. given that it's normaly stunt kites etc but it's easy to get to & from.
The park it self is quite free of tree circles & there are to buildings around for quite a distance.

John
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby John » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:52 pm

Doug wrote:I presume you guys will have a better idea for the time of year or even month we should plan this, I know the is very random but most of us will need about a weeks notice prior to.

Richmond is quite common for kiting. given that it's normaly stunt kites etc but it's easy to get to & from.
The park it self is quite free of tree circles & there are to buildings around for quite a distance.

Cool about Richmond, I'll have to go check it out. Planning these events is very weather dependant. Basically, you pick a date and then have an alternative if it's too calm/stormy/raining etc.

ExtremeLee
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby ExtremeLee » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:38 pm

Count me in. I was going to buy my own gear, but this way i get to try it out first :)

PeterC
New school
New school

Postby PeterC » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:02 pm

I have a windsurfing seat harness, no bar though.

I've been dragged aound all sorts of places with a friends stack two or three flexifoils (not too sure if they were tens of not, old ones with three spare elements)

I've got a rev II, nice for tricks but no use for pull.

Doug
Old school
Old school

Postby Doug » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:15 pm

so will we have enough parachutes/powerkites for everyone to share? I doubt it would be safe for all of us (most unexperienced) to be doing it at the same time.
If not then I would need help for the rentals as I'm not sure if you've noticed, but I'm not exaclty "in the money"!

Evil Alan
New school
New school

Postby Evil Alan » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:57 pm

I'm pretty sure there's nowhere in London where you can hire kites. And to be perfectly honest I don't want people learning with mine. A lot of kites don't have many breakable parts, but mine have spars which are prone to damage. They would cost a fair amount to replace. I would recomend trying to find a second hand kite on e-bay or the flexifoil forum if you're really serious. I can offer some advice.

Having appropriate skates for a bunch of people might be difficult too as the chances are people won't be the same size and they won't be that cheap to make or buy.

You haven't chosen a cheap new hobby Doug...

John
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby John » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:07 pm

Some kite shops in London will meet you somewhere so you can try a few out. If it's windy, chances are they will be flying anyway. Try a few shops and see what they say.

I don't mind letting people use mine (usual disclaimers apply) as it's fairly tough, as long as they are responsible about it.

Hey Alan, have you thought about making your doomboots UFS? That way we can all use our FSK boots - lol :P

Evil Alan
New school
New school

Postby Evil Alan » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:39 pm

John,

If there was some way to slap someone over the internet you would have a very red cheek right now.

UFS (Useless Frame System)

John
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby John » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:30 pm

Ouch!

8)

Well if you make them for your low(cool)riders then I can put my old Rocces boots on them - with your gracious permission of course O Lord Alan, Master of the Toe Spin and Keeper of the Marshall's Vests etc... :)

John
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby John » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:31 pm

If anyone wants a 3.5mb avi of me almost killing myself on the board last weekend then pm me you email address.

Doug
Old school
Old school

Postby Doug » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:57 pm

I as thinking using the widest most cmfortable UFS agro skate I could find, taking off the frame & building it around the boot, otherwise I may leave the frame, take off the wheels & use the frame as an additional fixture.

Caz
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby Caz » Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:00 pm

could do the 'ice converter' attachment method of bolting the pram wheel section onto the frame where your normal wheels would go.

Return to “London Scene”