London gossip and skating chat

Moderator: Traffic warden

evilzzz
New school
New school

Help for Amys - split from Introductions Thread

Postby evilzzz » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:30 pm

AmyS wrote:Hello

I'm Amy. New to London (as of last September) and new to skating/blading/skidding along on my backside. This feels a little like my first day at school. :oops:

I'm a postgrad student (24) living and studying in central London and well, have chosen the coldest month in the year to start learning. You may find me practicing in a shadowy corner of Hyde Park trying not to look too much like I haven't got a clue. If anyone else is starting out it would be really nice to meet up with you at some point to halve the embarrassment factor.

Has anyone heard of the Skate Patrol? I read something about free advice sessions on Sundays. I'm a bit skint at the mo, like the everyone else, so I plan on having a little play to start with until I invest too heavily in lessons so if anyone with a little more experience fancies showing me a couple of slick moves such a stopping or moving in a straight line, get in touch. Payment would be in kind... that is I make good cakes, cookies, and other dishes consisting of a high guilt content. :evil:

Hello Amy. You certainly have chosen the best time of year to learn to skate - just think when the summer is here you will no longer look like an incompetent flailing gumbie! I don't think Skate Patrol actually ran at all last year (someone correct me?), but even then they only run in the summer months anyway, by when hopefully you will have figured the basics out for yourself.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that skaters are friendly and approachable, so if you need tips don't hesitate to ask anyone who even vaguely looks like they know what they're doing. Good luck!

Bella83
Old school
Old school

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby Bella83 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:33 pm

I'm Amy. New to London (as of last September) and new to skating/blading/skidding along on my backside. This feels a little like my first day at school. :oops:

I'm a postgrad student (24) living and studying in central London and well, have chosen the coldest month in the year to start learning. You may find me practicing in a shadowy corner of Hyde Park trying not to look too much like I haven't got a clue. If anyone else is starting out it would be really nice to meet up with you at some point to halve the embarrassment factor.

Has anyone heard of the Skate Patrol? I read something about free advice sessions on Sundays. I'm a bit skint at the mo, like the everyone else, so I plan on having a little play to start with until I invest too heavily in lessons so if anyone with a little more experience fancies showing me a couple of slick moves such a stopping or moving in a straight line, get in touch. Payment would be in kind... that is I make good cakes, cookies, and other dishes consisting of a high guilt content. :evil:

I don't know if you've seen the saturday hockey thread but most of those guys will be happy to give you tips. And don't worry I've just brought new skates i can't stop in so i look like a gumbie!

GadgetBoy
New school
New school

Postby GadgetBoy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:03 pm

evilzzz wrote:

Hello Amy. You certainly have chosen the best time of year to learn to skate - just think when the summer is here you will no longer look like an incompetent flailing gumbie! I don't think Skate Patrol actually ran at all last year (someone correct me?), but even then they only run in the summer months anyway, by when hopefully you will have figured the basics out for yourself.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that skaters are friendly and approachable, so if you need tips don't hesitate to ask anyone who even vaguely looks like they know what they're doing. Good luck!

I think there may have been a couple of sessions, but I definitely wasn't in the rota... think I might do it this year cause I have more time. We normally only run in the Summer months but that's also down to weather and if any of us are actually around to do it, last year I don't think that many were.

AmyS
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby AmyS » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:53 pm

Thanks for the advice! I definitely need to spend some time looking around this forum. I'll be sure to say hello to any other skaters I see out and about. Whether or not they see me waving from the gutter is another thing. Maybe see some of you guys in the summer 8)

Zaiburst
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby Zaiburst » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:23 pm

I'm still technically a gumbie/newbie, and I'm up for practice sessions with others of that ilk. I sent you a PM.

Becca
New school
New school

Postby Becca » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:48 pm

evilzzz wrote:

Yup, just come and ask anyone for help. Pretty much everyone is willing to teach other people tips. If you see me in the park, come and say hi!

AmyS
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby AmyS » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:43 am

Ah, thanks Becca I may, if I'm not feeling too shy :oops: I'm the tall one with the cushion down my trousers in case I don't pluck up the courage to say anything. Zaiburst about to message you back. All this posting is a little premature, am currently skateless until Saturday. Anyone know how to get discounts from Club Blueroom then let me know :P

Becca
New school
New school

Postby Becca » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:55 pm

AmyS wrote:Ah, thanks Becca I may, if I'm not feeling too shy :oops: I'm the tall one with the cushion down my trousers in case I don't pluck up the courage to say anything. Zaiburst about to message you back. All this posting is a little premature, am currently skateless until Saturday. Anyone know how to get discounts from Club Blueroom then let me know :P

Well if you are around saturday, lots of us will be by The Albert Memorial in the afternoon

AmyS
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby AmyS » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:23 am

Ah, that would really good but already have plans after midday. All uni related though, not playing until the evening. But I will keep an eye out on the forum and facebook, because I think you're referring to saturday hockey, and if I see you are all heading down on one of the following sats I'll be sure to say hello if I'm practicing!

Becca
New school
New school

Postby Becca » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:02 am

AmyS wrote: because I think you're referring to saturday hockey, and if I see you are all heading down on one of the following sats I'll be sure to say hello if I'm practicing!

Some of us play hockey, but a lot of people just come along to watch/ mess around/ practice

Bella83
Old school
Old school

Postby Bella83 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:09 am

Becca wrote:
AmyS wrote: because I think you're referring to saturday hockey, and if I see you are all heading down on one of the following sats I'll be sure to say hello if I'm practicing!

Some of us play hockey, but a lot of people just come along to watch/ mess around/ practice

I'll be the person practicing all in pink on my arse having fallen smoking a fag!

evilzzz
New school
New school

Postby evilzzz » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:23 pm

Yes, do come. Ono's always looking to blood new talent.

Becca
New school
New school

Postby Becca » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:39 pm

evilzzz wrote:Yes, do come. Ono's always looking to blood new talent.

Haha! yes because we all know that apparently it's all "a numbers game" according to him.

AmyS
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby AmyS » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:46 pm

You're really, er, selling it to me ;)

Bella83
Old school
Old school

Postby Bella83 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:54 pm

AmyS wrote:You're really, er, selling it to me ;)

Ignor them Ono never turns up till the end anyway, plus the answer is always NO. Come play next saturday!!!!

Wild Phil
New school
New school

Postby Wild Phil » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:41 pm

Becca wrote: it's all "a numbers game" according to him.

hahahahahaha!!!

AmyS
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby AmyS » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:53 pm

I will, probably, see you next sat. 8)

Becca
New school
New school

Postby Becca » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:59 pm

Phil Wildman wrote:
Becca wrote: it's all "a numbers game" according to him.

hahahahahaha!!!

He said that to me, Annabelle and Naomi in The Vic a few weeks ago, after he did a really bad pulling attempt on some girl.

But seriously, I love Ono. He's such a sweety.

Bella83
Old school
Old school

Re: Help for Amys - split from Introductions Thread

Postby Bella83 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:59 pm

Amy swettie comeout on sat as Ono my be a bit full on with any new girl on the scene just tell him your taken he'll back off a bit. But the real reason to know Ono is when your struggling on a street skate he'll more than happyly pull you the rest of the way!!

And i'll look like a total gumbie on sat in my new skates i can't stop in!

cjstudios
Power slider
Power slider

Re: Help for Amys - split from Introductions Thread

Postby cjstudios » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:01 pm

if u fine the sticks and frequent collisions and manhandling too overwhelming your other option is to skate along serpentine road and look out for a bunch of skaters skating around cones, they'll be happy to show u around as well.

I was kidding about the hockey guys. they're lovely and most helpful. I'm just suggesting an alternative in case you want a change of scenery.

Return to “London Scene”