Sunday Stroll 25th July - Round the Centre

London gossip and skating chat

Moderator: Traffic warden

dolabriform
New school
New school

Sunday Stroll 25th July - Round the Centre

Postby dolabriform » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:26 am

This Sunday weÔÇÖre going to take a gentle stroll around the center of London. The loop is about 6 miles and will be a gentle pace suitable for those attempting the stroll for the first time, or those feeling the worse for wear

Half time will be Lincolns Inn Fields by Holborn Station.

map is here

Please note, due to the triathlon in Hyde Park we will be meeting at the LFNS start point by Wellington Arch.

Scruffles
Lurker

Re: Sunday Stroll 25th July - Round the Centre

Postby Scruffles » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:14 pm

Yay, I completed my first stroll!

Woof Woof

wotnobrakes
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby wotnobrakes » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:14 pm

Well that was great fun. Nice when the cabbie got an ear full from the motorcycle policeman in Russell Sq for being a bit leary.

Champagnesuppanova
Wannabe
Wannabe
Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Postby Champagnesuppanova » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:15 pm

wotnobrakes wrote:Well that was great fun. Nice when the cabbie got an ear full from the motorcycle policeman in Russell Sq for being a bit leary.

Did he just get an ear-full or a ticket? Rumour at the end of the skate was it was a proper ticket. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Becca
New school
New school

Postby Becca » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:50 am

Scruffles wrote:Yay, I completed my first stroll!

Woof Woof

Well done Scruffles! You looked like a very tired puppy at the end.

Patrick
Old school
Old school

Postby Patrick » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:11 am

Scruffles wrote:Yay, I completed my first stroll!
Very naughty should have stayed home and let your masters enjoy the skate.

dolabriform
New school
New school

Postby dolabriform » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:16 am

Thanks to everyone who came out to play, that was much fun :)

Torbaydos
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Torbaydos » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:38 am

Champagnesuppanova wrote:
wotnobrakes wrote:Well that was great fun. Nice when the cabbie got an ear full from the motorcycle policeman in Russell Sq for being a bit leary.

Did he just get an ear-full or a ticket? Rumour at the end of the skate was it was a proper ticket. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I wouldn't have expected a ticket (it was my junction). The skate had passed before the time
his earful finished. Furthermore the cabbie wasn't aggressive or
broke the law so I don't see how he would've been bookable

atleastinheaven
Power slider
Power slider

Postby atleastinheaven » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:48 am

dolabriform wrote:Thanks to everyone who came out to play, that was much fun :)

Thank you for leading it. A relaxed and interesting skate - always nice to go down one or two roads/alleys you've never seen before. Hope the bloke who 'stacked' when we went for it down Piccadilly was OK

lolainlondon
New school
New school

Postby lolainlondon » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:07 am

Torbaydos wrote:

I wouldn't have expected a ticket (it was my junction). The skate had passed before the time

I think we were the victim of chinese whispers then. Someone told us he tried to drive into the skate, which would probably be bookable.

Becca
New school
New school

Postby Becca » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:39 pm

lolainlondon wrote:
Torbaydos wrote:

I think we were the victim of chinese whispers then. Someone told us he tried to drive into the skate, which would probably be bookable.

Yeah, Chinese whispers. It doesn't sound like it was actually as serious as it sounded. The message that those at the front of the skate got was that a cabbie had got a ticket. Oh well, shame!

lord lucan
Power slider
Power slider

Postby lord lucan » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm

No ticket but a definate ear bashing for trying to drive off before the rear of the skate had cleared the junction

dolabriform
New school
New school

Postby dolabriform » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:53 pm

lord lucan wrote:No ticket but a definate ear bashing for trying to drive off before the rear of the skate had cleared the junction

Every little helps :P

As Becca said, I got a message on the radio, and turned up the radio for others at the front to hear when I asked for clarification of what happened. The message said that he had been booked, and unsurprisingly there were many cheers and smiles when we heard that.

After talking to the Marshals involved after the skate, it became apparent that wasn't the case, and to be honest I'm glad about that. If he had got a ticket or worse, that could have created resentment towards us.
The Marshal I spoke to said that he didn't feel threatened, which is a very good thing in my book. And secondly the Policeman told the driver in no uncertain terms what he thought, and from the perspective of the driver I would have thought gave the impression of the way the Police view us. ie, we have right of way. I know that legally this is a grey area, but any interaction between potentially aggressive drivers and the Police backing us up is a very positive thing. I can only hope he tells his cab driving mates, and the word spreads not to be aggressive towards us!

On an important note, as Marshals we do experience the occasional idiot driver, but luckily it is few and far between. The majority of drivers, including cabs, are friendly and respectful towards us.

Lastly, I'd like to personally say a huge thank you to everyone who was at the front at the bottom of St Martins lane. You were all so quick to get back behind the white line to make space for the ambulance, and it was great to see them wave at us and say thanks. Special mention must go out to our volunteer marshals who cleared the junction and stopped traffic to make space for the ambulance to get through, they also got a massive wave from the ambulance crew :)

Return to “London Scene”