London gossip and skating chat

Moderator: Traffic warden

sa006
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

rocking my rocker

Postby sa006 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:02 pm

Hi guys

i have been getting back into skating and loving every minute of it, i have been getting to grips with my backward skating before i start my journey into freestyle/slalom skating (figured it was a good place to start, if i am wrong please say)

after watching endless youtube vids and trying to do the most most basic stuff i found it hard to position my skates. i like to think i can pick things up fairly quickly and have always been quite sporty. but the vids make it look so easy and i know it comes over time as you get to develop your own style in doing things.

cut a long story short i thought every freestlyer cant be wrong and went out yesterday to buy 4 wheels to rocker my skates. i am now riding hyper concrete g's 76/80/80/76

MY GOD, it feels kinda weird but i felt i could 360 around a 2 pence piece, moving my feet sharply is now not a prob and couldnt believe the difference, but it felt very slippery as though i was skating on a damp surface, and just wanted to know if that was normal??

i am going to continue to use the rocker and not revert back to flat as i so want to be at a decent level of freestyling (but a long way to go)

any advice welcome :o)

Wild Phil
New school
New school

Re: rocking my rocker

Postby Wild Phil » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:55 pm

Yeah it will feel more slippery as you only have half the number of wheels touching the ground at any one time compared with a flat setup.

But like you have already found it will be much more manouverable.

The tradeoff is in speed, (cateris paribus) you will not go as fast with a rocker as with a flat setup.

If slalom is your thing, rocker is the way to go.

sa006
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby sa006 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:19 pm

cheers for the reply,
yh i am leaning more towards to freestyle end so will try to adapt to the new setup and build up on collection of cuts and bruises lol

sa006
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby sa006 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:36 pm

more advice please..................

at what level of skating did ou switch to using a rocker setup (what could you do on flat skates before you switched), or did you jump straight in?
maybe a dumb question but after an hour tonight on my rocker setup i am woandering if i should get more comfortable doing all kinds of basics on flat setup first?

thanks

r3cycla
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby r3cycla » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:46 pm

Hey

For what it's worth, one 'relative' noob to another, I had a similar situation in relation to rockering a few months ago.

I found that switching to a banana rocker made general skating 'awkward', so I switched back to flat and just tried to work on getting comfortable.

I also found that it didn't take too long for the wheels to 'magically' find their own rocker and wear down according to the type of skating I was doing,(eg, basic slaloming, heeling and toeing in straight lines etc.)and I kind of got used the difference without realising.

Skate on......

sa006
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby sa006 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:14 am

could be an idea (to let them naturally wear down so i am comfortable). i am going to give it a few more days of skating on the rocker to see if i feel stable enough to carry on.

thanks for the reply tho much appreciated

gummidge
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby gummidge » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:47 pm

76 80 80 76 is quite a severe rocker. With less of a rocker all your wheels will usually be in contact with the ground (because they compress) but the edge ones will be lighter. Then, when you put your forward or back you increase the load at one end while decreasing it at the other. That might feel a bit more natural than actually rocking between pairs of wheels while still giving you a lighter, more manoeuvrable feel.

I just let mine naturally rocker and do a lot of dragging the toe wheel with new wheels to get the process going.

sa006
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby sa006 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:16 am

well after a few more outings in the car park i am slowly getting used to the sharpness of the turns, but your not the only one to say to me that they naturally rocker the wheels.

decisions decisions. with the rain coming in now i doubt i will get out on them as much as i would like to gain more confidence, but on the flip side silverspoon at wembely is back ;o)

r3cycla
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby r3cycla » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:23 pm

Why will the rain stop you from skating?

Slidey slide time.....find a quiet spot, wear gloves,pads,a wooly hat with a bobble on the top (optional) and enjoy! :)

ps
I'd go with a flat setup

sa006
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby sa006 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:29 am

hahaha with the rocker setup i have i feel as though i am already skating on a wet surface. so i dread to imagine what it would be like in the rain. not quite yet but i am at a reasonable standard, maybe.

inkh0rn
Power slider
Power slider

Postby inkh0rn » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:40 pm

Hi there - just wondering how you're getting on with your rocker?

I'm intermediate to advanced in some skills, but still low in confidence at times, especially outdoors - so rockering has always terrified me.

Regardless, I decided to full rocker my Seba FRD's as I want to learn slalom as well as rec/fitness/speedskate. I know what everyone says about speed wobble - I agree, as I've had it both while doing fast laps at the rink and going downhill/fast on straights on roads.

What convinced me to do it was a mate who's also a member here (mozpowerlifter) - skates Seba Highs, loose cuffs, laced to the ankle, 76-80-80-76 rocker - and he keeps up (without really trying!) with the fastest inliners on flat 80mm hockey skates during the speed skating session at the rink. We skated together outdoors last weekend, me trying out my shiny new GT90s - and he blew me away on his rockered Highs! OK, I'm not particularly fast, and I'm not used to the GT's yet - but even so. That proved to me you can blast on rockered skates no problem. He was also stair-riding, backwards and forwards, and doing jumps etc, so that backed up what many have said on here about full rocker being OK for street skating.

I think it's a case of just skating the setup and developing the muscle memory for your balance. After 2 3-hour sessions at the rink on full rocker over the last 2 days, I put my GT90s on for some outdoor action today, and they felt bloody awful. After a while they felt better, and in fact I could really feel and appreciate the solidity/stability of the big wheels/long frames for going fast, but they still felt 'orrible...and putting the rockered FRDs back on was like coming home ;). Already! Sticking with the rocker for a while yet methinks.

(Dodgy and tarty, if you read this...will you now forgive my quaddie infidelities? ;) )

Return to “London Scene”