NTNTWNS 19th Sep - 8pm Liverpool St

London gossip and skating chat

Moderator: Traffic warden

Wild Phil
New school
New school

NTNTWNS 19th Sep - 8pm Liverpool St

Postby Wild Phil » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:39 pm

The first unofficial Wednesday night skate is tonight. Mital is leading so should be quite a chill skate.

Start point is Liverpool St Station, bishopsgate entrance.

Please note this is an unmarshalled skate, so you should be comfortable skating amongst traffic and looking out for yourself.

8pm kickoff. 8)

mit
New school
New school

Re: NTNTWNS 19th Sep - 8pm Liverpool St

Postby mit » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:36 pm

Oh yeah, completely forgot to post here lol
The facebook event says 25 people are coming so it'll have to be pretty slow...

Wild Phil
New school
New school

Postby Wild Phil » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:01 pm

ima gunn brin my GoPro (y)

Sparky
New school
New school

Postby Sparky » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:19 pm

And a bottle of Rum!

mit
New school
New school

Postby mit » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:41 pm

Go pro pro and a bottle of rum! Arrrrh!

Sparky
New school
New school

Postby Sparky » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:47 pm

Arghhhhhhhh Jimlad!

mit
New school
New school

Postby mit » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:49 pm

Damn pirates. That was rubbish, I have no idea where you guys went but it wasn't following me... same as every year. :(
Though this time it wasn't helped by my phone deciding to complete its iOS 6 upgrade just when I needed to make calls!

Oh well, I'll get you next time, Gadget! Next time!!
Last edited by mit on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

evilzzz
New school
New school

Postby evilzzz » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:04 pm

At least you didn't have far to go home. Think of the poor sods who might have been dragged to the arse end of town only to lose the skate after a few corners. :lol:

batman
New school
New school

Postby batman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:46 pm

It might be worth splitting into two groups next time...fast and chilled

Sparky
New school
New school

Postby Sparky » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:07 pm

How about whoever is "leading" doesn't bugger off without warning leaving everybody standing on a corner after they had patiently waited for said "leader" to get of the phone.

It isn't rocket science!

mit
New school
New school

Postby mit » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:44 pm

I didn't bugger off... I thought you guys were following, but actually it was only 4 people following. I'm not that fast, and not anything like as good a skater as most of you so I was pretty surprised when you weren't behind me. Wasn't even my phone, or anyone I knew who was left behind.
I was only about 50 metres away when I turned ruond and you were gone, so stopped and sent Ono to get his friend... then took out my phone and fail! It decided at that moment to finish upgrading to iOS6 and I had to wait about 20 minutes while it did its thing! We retraced our steps (strides) but by then you were gone.

The others tried calling other people on the skate and got through but nobody was interested in stopping or giving us any idea of where you were, even when we shouted to you from the street as we saw you skating along the Barbican highwalks.

And keeping up with you is always going to be rocket science Sparky... that's how fast you are :p

evilzzz
New school
New school

Postby evilzzz » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:42 pm

Asbox for the leader - Problem solved.

But seriously I don't get the point of getting together for a group skate and then not having the consideration to actually skate together as a group, which is why I don't bother with these any more.
If anyone wants a chilled out skate where we stick together, regroup frequently, don't always go up and down sodding car park escalators, avoids alleyways, stop off at a couple of pubs and is as inclusive as it can realistically can be, then yeah let me know.

mit
New school
New school

Postby mit » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:07 am

Sparky had the asbox lol :)
I agree with you anyway Van, apart from the alleyways bit, because only people on speed skates don't like those!

Just different perspectives clearly. I probably should have put Ono's phone down and calmly explained to everyone that we were going back for Ono's friend, because it I guess it wasn't obvious that was what was happening... I just don't get why she took her skates off when we swung back to pick up Inno & co!

Wild Phil
New school
New school

Postby Wild Phil » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:57 am

For anyone reading this thread who is considering coming along to one fo these Skates.

Do not be put off by recent comments, these are intended to be fun skates (focus on fun). The speed is roughtly equivalent to the speed of a fastish Wednesday skate, with fewer stops at lights. The crucial difference is that there are no marshalls to look after you so you should be comfortable with your own road awareness.

We get to do a lot of things and go a lot of places you would never get to see on a regular streetskate. And it is organised by the community so we get a good variety of styles to our evenings.

We normally do a headcount at the start, quick safety briefing for any first timers (so people understand what is about to go down) and suggest that people pick buddies to keep track of each other.

Our aim is not to lose people as some people do come a long way to take part, and we will wait for people or skate around the block to let people catch up.

If you feel you may get upset or offended if you can not keep up, the skate is not for you. Come back next week and try again. We were all beginners at some point, and all of us have all been through that.

Lets keep this a drama free, and fun skate 8)
Last edited by Wild Phil on Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby Johnny » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:57 am

I should give the NTNTWNS a try.
Sounds interesting.....

mit
New school
New school

Postby mit » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:30 am

Wild Phil wrote:Our aim is not to lose people as some people do come a long way to take part, and we will wait for people or skate around the block to let people catch up.

We were calling and speaking to people and asking where you were, and nobody was stopping.

So yes, the aim of the skate is to be inclusive and wait for people, but it didn't happen on Wednesday.

Wild Phil
New school
New school

Postby Wild Phil » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:11 pm

Johnny wrote:I should give the NTNTWNS a try.
Sounds interesting.....

Please do, the next skate will be led by different people, and the Facebook group is up already.

It will be an 8pm start from Trafalgar Sq, taking a nice route along the river to Greenwich and back.

Sparky
New school
New school

Postby Sparky » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:19 pm

mit wrote:And keeping up with you is always going to be rocket science Sparky... that's how fast you are :p

But Mit, when you were leading at no point did I over take you, furthermore I did skate after the Ono group down Threadneedle St to Bishopsgate and when I looked down towards Monument I could see Ono in the distance but couldn't see you. Because I was unsure of what was going on I decided to return to the group standing on the corner at Old Broad St, we then stood there for at least 2mins before we decided to skate to the Barbican?

mit
New school
New school

Postby mit » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:49 pm

To be honest all of this would have been a really minor non-issue if my phone hadn't decided to go into iOS6 upgrade mode just when I needed to call you guys! I was relying on a couple of people I'd never met calling people I don't know to find out where you were!

But what was really annoying was we did see you skating along Barbican highwalks, and shouted but I guess you didn't hear us on the street below... It was really frustrating at the time but I just want to skate and am happy for whoever to lead etc as long as I can keep up!

Look no Skywater
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby Look no Skywater » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:20 pm

To quote the oracle that is Spock...The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one.

Frankly if someone or a few people lose the skate when we were hardly caning it then the options are:
1 - leave them behind - harsh but some people will subscribe this
2 - tell them we will meet them at major landmark where the pack can skate for a bit (10-15-20 mins) and pick them up to see if they can stay with us then 1 for the next time
3 - 2 but send someone who knows them to navigate them the the landmark
4 - if sufficiently into the skate, have a pub/drink stop and let them catch up there.

What we got was no real communication about what was going on, stops for phone calls, I'm not surprised there was a mutiny. For the record I still hate Barbican but I did have a need to skate rather than potter stop and when we headed for Barbican I genuinely thought we were all back together. Didn't realise until we were halfway up Moorgate then felt a bit bad...but not very bad.

For a first skate of the year it was not the best idea to be doing alleys straight away. Fun if you can keep up but if you drop back 30m you can miss the next turn. I was aware of people not appearing behind me but if I dropped back to let them know where the next turn was going to be then there would have been one more last person. Better to be doing some straight stuff for everyone to find their legs and then waiting a moment before turns to see who the regular stragglers are going to be then slow the group, split the group or tell the stragglers that there won't be any more catch-ups and they are going to be dropped like a rear marshal asking people to leave a skate. That way they will get something out of it and people who want to go faster can have a bit of a skate too.

Return to “London Scene”