Rage Against the Christmas Tree 2012

London gossip and skating chat

Moderator: Traffic warden

Mentally Dull
New school
New school

Rage Against the Christmas Tree 2012

Postby Mentally Dull » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:07 pm

It's that time of the year again. All the official skates have come and gone. It's cold. Foggy. Slippy. Roads full of last-ditch shoppers. And, as tradition demands, we'll go skating.

A few pointers, for those who have not done this before:
- Starts 12pm (reasonably sharp - I love daylight!) from the Victoria Public House (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?view=map& ... 9814366090)
- Route? Ah, let me tell about the route. It started as a clever idea of a gradually, imperceptibly climbing route round North London, avoiding the Hampstead Massif, and ending, sneakily, at the rear of Ally Pally. Then we ran this past the topological realities of North London, as compared with the existing road network. Add in unskateable surfaces, and surface/flatness trade-offs, expected traffic volumes and the like, and you end up with, well... a Markus route, really. How shall I put this? It's not flat...
- And to be clear - this is one-way, at least the bit which I'll be leading. Which means that the skate, like every year, ends at ours with Mice Pies, Mulled Wine, and other seasonal treats (dare I say one of Barbara's soups? be afraid, be very afraid!) for those who simply don't know when to stop. Everybody welcome, of course!
- Please note - this is unmarshalled, and whilst a part of the intended route is on pedestrian and cycle bits, this is a street skate, in traffic. If you can't hold your own when sharing the road with traffic then this is not for you.
- We wait for people. Within reason. Be realistic.
- Surfaces vary. Sometimes they vanish. Get over it.
- If it's raining then we don't do this. Fog might mean we change at least some of the route. Fog? There never is any fog during Christmas skates...
- Bring your Oyster card, shoes, money, and something warm to put on. If we do this all the way then we're looking at 20 miles over 4h. You might not want to skate back home...

Anybody up for this?

Full event on Facebook, drop me a line if you cannot see this and need to be added.

iChris
Wannabe
Wannabe

Re: Rage Against the Christmas Tree 2012

Postby iChris » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:56 am

What day?

I don't have a Facebook account so can't see if it's on there..

Mentally Dull
New school
New school

Postby Mentally Dull » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:53 am

ah, good point. Dec 26 (Boxing Day), from 12am

iChris
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby iChris » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:57 pm

Thanks - but it's a no go from me.