Iceblading

Tips and advice on both skating gear and technique

Moderator: Traffic warden

Phil
Old school
Old school

Iceblading

Postby Phil » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:18 am

So did anyone see this weeks Dragon's Den? I just watched it on Iplayer as I had been told there was some 'inline skate people on it'. It turns out that some people have reinvented PIC skates, got on the BBC spouted a load of utter rubbish and secured a large investment. Seriously where do these people come from they've obviously done no actual market research, I almost feel sorry for the Dragon that blew his money on their company.

http://www.iceblading.co.uk/

James M
Power slider
Power slider

Re: Iceblading

Postby James M » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:34 am

"Unlike the 'conventional' inline skate, where skills are limited and interests fades due to lack of instruction"

Doug
Old school
Old school

Postby Doug » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:57 pm

It's not a new concept. There used to a bloke who skated on a similar skate, a few years ago on the serp.
Although I was quite impressed by the skill of the girls in that video.

Phil
Old school
Old school

Postby Phil » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:40 pm

Doug wrote:It's not a new concept. There used to a bloke who skated on a similar skate, a few years ago on the serp.

Thats why I mentioned PIC skates, they've been around for ages http://www.picskate.com/

James M
Power slider
Power slider

Postby James M » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:52 am

A pic skate video even comes up as a related video on youtube, so it's kind of obvious they didn't invent this concept.

Eviltwin
New school
New school

Postby Eviltwin » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:40 am

These are rebadge artictic skates with hip behind them...
It begs the question what the BRSF are doing!!!!

Look no Skywater
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby Look no Skywater » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:20 am

Why? It's got nothing to do with BRSF. These people are coming from ice hence NISA being mentioned. If it has anythign to do with Rollersports then at the competition level FIRS ought to be involved but the last I heard picskates were not permitted in artistic competition because the skate nazis in the artistic division are all old school quaddies who don't think they are pure and hate anything inline with a passion. Probably a bit like recumbents being outlawed in most cycle competitons.

It's actually nice to see that ice is open minded enough to see that there are other technologies out there that will let their skaters train without the need to rent ice time. (y) Another benefit for ice skaters is they will be heavier so if they can do stuff in these then they should be able to get more height or rotational power for their toe loops, axles, salchows and even their spins.

Back on topic of Dragons Den though and yep, Theo is probably going to struggle with this one. Suspect the due diligence they do after the programme to see if they have been misled before the money changes hands will turn up the pic skates though and the terms of whatever happens will change quite significantly from what appeared on the telly

Return to “Technique, Tips and Equipment”