typhoid

Introduce yourself and ask anything you like about the forum or skating - no question too stupid

Moderator: Traffic warden

typhoid
Gumbie
Gumbie

typhoid

Postby typhoid » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:06 pm

Name: .typhoid, Typhoid, Typhoid Mary: after this long I hate using my real name and respond to "Typhoid" more than anything.
Started Skating: This time last year (2009)
First Skates: Awful, awful hire skate Cobras.
Current Skates: Riedell R3s with blue Fugitive outers and orange Fugitive pushers. Looking to acquire some starter soft outdoor wheels.
Style: Jammer. Too tiny to be useful as anything else, but I can do speed(ish).
Found: On dirty sports hall floors complaining about how the dirt makes me skid out of corners. Also on my ass after being sent flying when I was too busy looking at where the other jammer is. Frequently.
Worst Skating Accident: Thankfully none! Had some lovely shades of bruise and fishnet burn though.
Best Skating Moment: 5 laps in 46.26 seconds.
Other Info: To date I've only ever skated indoors playing roller derby but am in the process of making my first tentative attempts into skating in the big scary outdoors now the weather's nice. I am afraid of uneven pavements and twigs. I am also made of Internet.

Question! Are you guys welcoming to roller derby skaters who have zilch experience of street skating? The Sunday Stroll seems like an excellent idea and though I'm based in the Midlands I love going to London as I still find the Tube exciting. Simple pleasures for a simple mind. Either way I'd love to try skating outside with you lot to make the most of the nice sunny afternoons we've been having - please let me know if I'd be allowed to tag along and if you have any recommendations for some simple outdoor wheels for a student on a shoestring (the cheapest I've found have been some Kryptonics on eBay for 19.99. Not exactly the most swish but my main focus is indoor skating anyway, outdoor gear would only be for fun!) Please let me know if it's worth coming down.

GumbieBEN
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Re: typhoid

Postby GumbieBEN » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:10 pm

typhoid wrote:Question! Are you guys welcoming to roller derby skaters who have zilch experience of street skating?

Of course... I'd even suggest it might make good practice.. trying to skate from back to front (though no elbows!)

Welcome to the forum.

GuinnessGirl
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby GuinnessGirl » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:14 pm

Typhoid Mary - welcome, and thanks for introducing us to the term 'fishnet burn'..brilliant!

Watched whip it the other day and after seeing how the games work we thought that the RollerDerby crowd should all come on streetskates - good training for getting through the pack! But without the elbowing LOL

Sunday stroll is definitely a good start but also just get some outdoor wheels and give the outdoors a go, get used to kerbs, rough surfaces etc. But if you can do RollerDerby I can't see you having problems skating in a pack etc

I'll let the expert quad folk recommend cheap outdoor wheels as I haven't a clue sorry

pazza98
Power slider
Power slider

Postby pazza98 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:15 pm

Welcome! If you weren't comfortable with the streetskate, you could practice up and down serpentine road. We're mostly a friendly bunch so come down and say hi.

pazza98
Power slider
Power slider

Postby pazza98 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:18 pm

GuinnessGirl wrote:Typhoid Mary - welcome, and thanks for introducing us to the term 'fishnet burn'..brilliant!

Me too, it's great init :D

typhoid
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby typhoid » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:22 pm

Oh, I can skate backwards fairly well, though I haven't mastered backwards crossovers yet. I do however have the classic derby bias of only being able to skate anticlockwise (derby joke, sorry). Are there any other derby skaters who come for the Sunday Stroll from either of the London leagues? And will those cheap 85a Kryptonics wheels do me for the mean streets of London?

And any use of elbows (or punching, or being stationary on the track, or basically anything in that film) is entirely illegal. Please don't believe anything except the passion for the sport you see in Whip It! There are so many majors in that film it makes anyone who's reffed derby cry. No one in the UK skates banked track either, that's a luxury only the biggest US leagues have. So errr yes I will probably bend your ear off about derby if I come down, depends if I can get the time off work! I apologise in advance for the incessant derby talk.

By the way, fishnet burns/rink rash are awesome. The most tactile scabs ever: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3356/320 ... 2f7c_o.jpg

Sparky
New school
New school

Postby Sparky » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:30 pm

Hi Typhoid welcome to the forum, Krypto Cruisers are a very popular wheels for the street as are Hyper Rolos, Air Waves are a little cheaper but slightly less popular but I've used them for years with no complaints.

Look no Skywater
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby Look no Skywater » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:33 pm

Is that Krypo Cruises? They are fine for the streets so long as you avoid T-stopping or you watch them disappear with every drag. I believe the wheel of choice was Sims Street Snakes though I don't think they are around any more. Never had some so don't know. We have had some of the London RD laydees out on the stroll. It might be good to contact them and you can all come along together if you pop along.

BTW Does Mariko still play RD up your way?

typhoid
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby typhoid » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:41 pm

I've not heard of any Mariko, she might be part of the Central City Rollers though and I've only ever been part of the other Birmingham league, Birmingham Blitz Dames. Not too familiar with the CCR ladies but I hope to get to know them soon! Ditto I don't have any particular contacts in the LRG or LRR so I'll probably pop down on my own.

These are the ones I was considering: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KRYPTONICS-TRUE-7 ... 2137078113

Luckily I don't like using the T-stop if I have the space to do a cheeky plough stop so let's hope they won't go bald too quickly.

GuinnessGirl
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby GuinnessGirl » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:46 pm

typhoid wrote:I do however have the classic derby bias of only being able to skate anticlockwise (derby joke, sorry).

You'll soon find out thats not just a derby thing!

typhoid
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby typhoid » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Ah, yes, the speed skaters only go anticlockwise on a track, don't they? I'm not too sure about other skating styles, sorry (though I do enjoy watching the speed skating on the Winter Olympics: it does scare me that they sacrifice pads for aerodynamics when these spectacular pileups seem to be so common. I would never, ever skate without my chunky 187s). It's funny seeing us do our clockwise practice, most of us are all over the place going "moving in this direction IS NOT NATURAL" and I still have a much stronger left ankle than my right.

Mick
New school
New school

Postby Mick » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:48 pm

I use Hyper Rollos but they are double the price of those Kryptonics. I've never used those ones but I have noticed them on eBay before and was tempted to try them at that price. Krypto is generally a good quality brand, they're the right hardness and it does specifically say they're outdoor wheels. And 65mm is good as big wheels are faster and smoother. I know it's always a bit of a gamble if you haven't actually tried those particular wheels but as you're on a tight budget it's probably worth a punt at that price. No guarantees though!

typhoid wrote:To date I've only ever skated indoors playing roller derby but am in the process of making my first tentative attempts into skating in the big scary outdoors now the weather's nice. I am afraid of uneven pavements and twigs.

I only ever skated indoors for years and found it horribly rough when I first ventured outdoors. It's surprising how quickly you get used to it if you do it regularly though, I hardly even notice it now unless it's really uneven. And it's so much fun just being able to bomb around anywhere on your wheels.

typhoid wrote:I do however have the classic derby bias of only being able to skate anticlockwise

You could just skate forwards for the left hand corners and backwards for the right hand corners :)

peterm
Power slider
Power slider

Postby peterm » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:51 am

I suspect, having spoken to a few quaddies who used them, that Kryptos might be a bit hard for London streets. My two outdoor quad skating buddies use Hyper Rollos and Sims Street Snakes, and both argue their choice is the best. As Mick says, they are not cheap but worth aiming for if you can save up a few more pennies.

We did have the opportunity to try 60mm Airwave Streets last year, and they rode well on most surfaces until you hit a piece of grit. We decided this was really down to the wheel size more than anything else, so it is probably worth getting the biggest diameter wheel your skate will take. But don't forget to take into account that when you lean your skates, they will get closer to the wheel, so don't go too big.

typhoid
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby typhoid » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:51 pm

Hmm, well if the Kryptos are too hard how about these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT for London? I'll admit it, I mostly like them because they're pretty, and I trust the seller's knowledge on skating equipment as I've bought from him before and he's always been very helpful.

Mick
New school
New school

Postby Mick » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:09 pm

Well, if you can afford that much then I'd say definitely go for Hyper Rollos or Airwaves as there are several of us on here who have used them and know they are good, preferably 65mm (as long as they fit your skates as Peter mentioned).

They're both available from Kate's Skates according to their website with free delivery on orders over £10...

65mm Rollos £40

65mm Airwaves £36

It's quite possible that the ones you linked to are good wheels but I'm always very wary of recommendations from the people who are flogging them, having worked in a shop myself I know the pressure to shift stuff. The original Sims were very good wheels but because they've got a bit of a mystique to them now there are all sorts of people jumping on the band wagon and trying to flog "better than Sims" wheels. Wheels are pretty much the most important thing when skating on quads outdoors and if you get unsuitable ones it can be enough to put you off.

typhoid
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby typhoid » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:37 pm

I've just ordered those Air Waves, I hope they arrive this week so I can give them a spin outside. Thanks for all the help, guys, I hope I get used to outdoor skating quickly and can see you at a skate soon!

ld50
Power slider
Power slider

Postby ld50 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:43 pm

typhoid wrote:By the way, fishnet burns/rink rash are awesome. The most tactile scabs ever: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3356/320 ... 2f7c_o.jpg

Funny, I have a pretty similar rash on my arm. No, not from fishnets...but from my upper body armour.

peterm
Power slider
Power slider

Postby peterm » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:00 am

typhoid wrote:I've just ordered those Air Waves, !

Please let us know how you get on with them. It's always useful to have some feedback. Thefinal comment we gave to Airwaves when testing the 60mm wheel was that a 65mm wheel should resolve the issues of grit stopping the smaller wheel. So you have probably made a good choice.

typhoid
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby typhoid » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:12 pm

I picked them up from the depot today and just spent a good hour popping out the bearings from my old Radar wheels and putting them in the new Air Waves. One thing I noticed though is that the hub of the Air Waves is much wider than in my current Fugitives, meaning that when they're on the truck/axle of my R3s there's a much smaller part of the thread poking out for me to screw the nut onto. Now, I've put them all on and tightened them as much as I can without having them stop the wheel but a little bit of doubt exists in my mind as to whether wearing the wheels like this is entirely safe - is there a possibility that the nuts and wheels could fly off because there's so little of them actually screwed onto the thread? I haven't yet taken the skates out for a test but I plan to give them a gentle run tomorrow, if anyone can advise me on whether this sounds viable or entirely unsafe please let me know. This isn't a problem I had considered when I bought the wheels and it would be a real shame if they're entirely unusable with my R3s. Thanks guys.

ld50
Power slider
Power slider

Postby ld50 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:35 pm

How many of the threads did you get screwed in?

Return to “Welcome”