Picking lightweight skates

Introduce yourself and ask anything you like about the forum or skating - no question too stupid

Moderator: Traffic warden

big ben
Lurker

Picking lightweight skates

Postby big ben » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:15 pm

Hello, Im Ben Haen, I played hockey for a long time and decided to try inline skating. I orriginally tried aggressive skates for grinding, however each skate weighed around 4 1/2 lbs making skating around town or jumping stair cases not fun at all. I tried roller hockey skates which were extremely light (around 2.5 lbs each) however the frames were inadequate for stair jumping and riding and broke quickly. I found slalom skates after watching some youtube vids of the sport and was looking into getting a pair of sebas, since i now plan to try a litttle slaloming myself but cant seem to find much information on them as they are fairly rare in the states. I like the Fr1's however they seem heavy (although i cant seem to find accurate measurements on any of them so if anyone can provide some weight info i'd apreciate it) compared to the gt's. can the gt's withstand big landings? what would you suggest for a light and durable seba skate? thanks!

Eviltwin
New school
New school

Re: Picking lightweight skates

Postby Eviltwin » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:30 pm

So there is always going to be a balance between KG an strength. The seba skates are well liked and for street skating should be good for what you are looking for. Some seba skates even have carbine fiber so are very good but cost quite a lot. Look as the TRIX80?

downboy
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby downboy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:08 am

I love FR1s for their bomb proof qualities and stiffness. But they are heavy. Twisters are a fair bit lighter and keep your feet cooler, but they're not quite as stiff. But they're far better than soft boot skates like k2s and have a proven track record for street skating.

evilzzz
New school
New school

Postby evilzzz » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:57 pm

The GTs are even heavier than the FR1s, so forget about them.

Less is more in this case, and the lighter freeskates tend to be the higher end models that cost more - eg Seba IGor, & Powerslide Hardcore Evo. They make use carbon fibre for a lot of the boot which reduces weight.

big ben
Lurker

Postby big ben » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:25 am

hmmm, ive been watching some clips from france, guys going down long stair cases in the eiffel tower, jumping over benches and whatnot, basically the same stuff I do in the U.S. ; and ive noticed that they all have a slalom type skate, or at least skates that use bolts to hold the frames to the boot, unlike the rivets used on roller hockey skates, which rivets popping out were the biggest problem I had. not having a plastic shell doesnt bother me, and so far the most versatile skate ive seen thats not unbelievably expensive is the seba high. would this seem like an adequate skate for freeskating? i also noticed from another thread on here that it weights 1000g, is this accurate? is that with or without frames and wheels? would the carbon version be less durable? what is the weight variance between carbon and non carbon high? thank you for your help, im sure im asking newbish questions but ive never really seen these type of skates in the states. did the comment about gt's being heavier include the gtx80 becuase from what ive seen it has even less plastic.....

Phil
Old school
Old school

Postby Phil » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:06 pm

Personally I don't think the Seba high would be great for aggressive, I don't think they'd stand up to too much abuse, the carbons feel much better for slalom however when street skating in them I've found that the stiffness of the carbon transfers the bumps to your foot a lot more so I really wouldn't try anything aggressive in them. I think you'd be better off looking at the FR series. Personally if I go street skating (not often these days) I'd always pick up my old Salomon aggressive skates with a 3v frame and 80mm wheels, they're heavy but I don't really find weight to be a problem with skates except for when trying to do slalom jump moves. I did actually slalom in these aggressive skates (with a rocker of course) for several months when I'd broken my main slalom skates and they were really good for slalom, except that I couldn't do the jumping tricks like jumping X or wiper

Return to “Welcome”