Seba High Light, can anybody review them?

Tips and advice on both skating gear and technique

Moderator: Traffic warden

borisb
Gumbie
Gumbie

Seba High Light, can anybody review them?

Postby borisb » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:27 pm

Has anybody already bought the High Lights and can share any juicy details?

For example, is the shape/skelet of the boot molded the same as Igor/KSJ? The classic Highs gave me quite a nice fit, but Igor was quite wide in comparison especially in front, so I am wondering if the experience is now closer to the Igor boot shape or different...

Also, what is the material used for the inside of the boot, the same "microfiber" as used on Seba 2011/12 Igor/Trix/KSJ, or something less durable like the pre '11 Igors?

azumi
New school
New school

Re: Seba High Light, can anybody review them?

Postby azumi » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:53 pm

You know the GTX? Then you know the High L.

Bebai
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Bebai » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:56 pm

Trust Azumi to always write reviews on products he has neither seen nor tested...lmao
http://vimeo.com/63754190

samgoody
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby samgoody » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:34 am

Hi Boris, like you I was also looking at this skate with some interest. I don't actually own it, and can't offer you any guidelines on fit. Azumi's remark might not offer any specific guidelines either, but he may have a point with the comment about the GTX because the High Light seems to share the same boot structure. Have a look at this GTX review on the Online Skating website, although it doesn't really give much detail on the fit other than saying it's comfortable (http://www.online-skating.com/articles- ... tx-84.html).

As for the inner material, the Hawaii Surf website (http://www.hawaiisurf.com/seba-high-lig ... 72718.html) mentions that it's "dry2lex thermofit". This looks like it's the same as the inner material on the regular High (http://bladeville.pl/p/skates/seba/seba-high-black-9590, "Dry2flex, custom fitting").

Bebai
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Bebai » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:27 am

It might look abit like the gtx but that's only becos the gt and the gtx look abit like the high/high light anyways. The Gtx is a budget version of the gt so I don't think it's comparable to the high light.

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:09 pm

The GT is based on the High. Same shell, footbed etc just different skins. Hence that goes vice versa. Same applies to the GTX and High L, same shell. No need to be a rocket scientist here to see the obvious.

Look at PS Evo, what did they change the last few years? Not the shell one can tell.

Bebai
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Bebai » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:34 pm

True but i bet it would have a different fit/quality given that its pricer. I smell a pointless arguement...lol.

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:55 pm

Certainly that can be. It all depends on the new/different skin and foam used.

How far are you with the Trix? :)

Bebai
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Bebai » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:17 pm

So far so good :). Havent gotten a chance to resize to picture to fit here. I can show them to u via Facebook if u really wanna see them though. Lets not hijack boris's thread talking about em :)

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:42 pm

Sure thing. :D

borisb
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby borisb » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:36 pm

I don't speak much German, but there was a thread on 4wheelfreestyle.de where Florian Schneider wrote that High Light is the same weight as 2009 Carbon Pro. Interestingly, at ISPO Munich there was a new Carbon Pro 2013 model shown, which is also linerless and thus lighter even more, and the boot shape resembles Igor quite a lot. There is a picture of the new Carbon Pro in this catalogue http://www.sebanews.com/app/download/6165196281/Seba_katalog_2013_web.pdf, but otherwise I have not seen it listed on sebaskates.com or any shop.

Herb
Power slider
Power slider

Postby Herb » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:46 pm

All GT, GTX and High (excluding High Carbon) share the same shell. So general shape of the boot is the same, the difference is in skin, liners and reinforcements on the boot.

High and High Light both are stiffer and lock your foot better than GTs and GTX, that's all.

Linerless High Carbon looks similar to Igors, because Igors do not use their own shell - it's the same shell as used in High Carbon. Yes, Seba are masters of reusing shell moulds and marketing these as a new skates - they have FR mould, High mould, High Carbon one, and KSJ one and use these four to make all their skates!

azumi, each PS Evos edition actually have different shell... differences are slight, and are usually about heel raise, or reinforcements of bottom of the boot (one version had hollow tube technology, but it was abandoned as too expensive and not giving any visible benefits in slalom), however - 2012 version had also different sizing, allowing some people to downsize and get better fit. 2013 version shell is a bit more wide at the toes than previous one.

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:25 pm

Herb, I see. So PS really does develop and not just change skins and colors like K2 and Seba. Good to know. :)

borisb
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby borisb » Tue May 07, 2013 3:59 pm

I've been talking to Florian Schneider who was the judge at a battle in Přerov (Czech rep.). He is using Seba High Light for 2.5 months now.

* he says they are very comfortable even if he has to wear them for extended periods of time.
* the built-in liner is thicker than Igor but the material is more reminiscent of the old Highs or pre-2011 iGors.
* the fit feels much closer to classic Highs, i.e. the inside shape is different from iGor
* the weight should be the same as the classic Carbon Pro (with removable liner)
* an interesting observation was that Florian went for the plastic model and not the new 2013 Carbon Pro with built-in liner because the frame mounting blocks can be positioned differently then what he is used to, the reason being that the plastic shell is machine manufactured but the carbon shells are hand made.
* the sizing table should be the same as classic High, for example Florian had older High EU42, now High Light 42, but his iGors are one size down EU41 (i.e. the usual rule for sizing "iGor = High - 1" seems to apply).

I should also add that Florian's skating in High Light was crazy quick and precise and he also said he would probably use them in competitions as well.

Bebai
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Bebai » Wed May 08, 2013 6:36 am

borisb wrote:* he says they are very comfortable
* the built-in liner is thicker than Igor but the material is more reminiscent of the old Highs or pre-2011 iGors.
* the sizing table should be the same as classic High, for example Florian had older High EU42, now High Light 42, but his iGors are one size down EU41 (i.e. the usual rule for sizing "iGor = High - 1" seems to apply).

Did he say anything about the break in period? Im guessing since the liners are thicker that the igors and the sizing table is the same as the classic high (totally unexpected since its a one piece boot) then it would be just as bulky as the classic high im i right? Have you seen it live or just in photos? Did he say anything about it being bulky???

borisb
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby borisb » Wed May 08, 2013 10:36 pm

He did not mention awful break in pain and I somehow forgot to ask, I guess I assumed that since it is one piece it will be similar to other boots like this so around 2-3 weeks. I have seen the skates and held them in my hands, they did not appear bulky at all, but then again his boots are 42 and my size is 47 so who knows how that would look like (my 2009 Highs look like intercontinental cargo ships in comparison).

borisb
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby borisb » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:40 am

So my High Lights EU 47 arrived and yesterday I skated the city a bit. The bad news first: they are about 5mm larger then my old 2009 Highs (EU 47). Before anybody says "this is a one piece skate so you should have expected that" - when I was ordering I said what size my previous Highs were, what is my foot size in mm, and as posted above I had a reference that EU42 Highs were the same size as EU42 High Light. Also I have not seen a sizing table for High Light anywhere yet.

If you are used to carbon boots, the skates feel much softer. I am tempted to say softer than classic Highs, but then again I was skating for a long period only in Freewave carbon skates which provide a near perfect fit. I understand that the "softer" feeling can be also due to the fact that they are a bit larger, so if I got the right size I wouldn't have felt it so much.

This will be completely subjective, but I am puzzled by the frame centering. I mounted the frames right in the middle (in the lateral/sideways sense) to see how it would feel in the standard setup. My right foot was constantly leaning on the inner edge and after some time it felt like there is a lot of strain put on the foot and it became painful. I had to keep telling myself "outside edge, remember the outside edge"! I shifted the right frame to the inside but did not yet have a chance to try how much it helped. I did not have this problem on old Highs, perhaps my legs get deformed each year some more due to this slalom thing :)

I am sure the skates also have a lots of positives like:
- I think the break in period will be short compared to anything I had before (RB Twisters, High, Freewave)
- they are quite comfy
- they look cool all black with the white laces and white wheels
- more to come after I have longer experience with the skates

I will try to compensate the size problem with orthodics + thin insole under to reduce the space a bit but the skates definitely feel bigger than my feet.
But I can not deny the fact that I am pissed that after all those years I end up making a mistake with the boot size.

Shaw
Power slider
Power slider

Postby Shaw » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:53 am

I've heard recently from an experienced skater that Trix has a slightly different frame mounting from KSJs (he used a non-centered setup on KSJs, but a centered setup on Trix), so it could be that the newer models of seba slalom skates might have a different frame centering than older models.

borisb
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby borisb » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:03 pm

I have also heard that the carbon bases are always made by hand (as opposed to the plastic shells) which often results in different mounting block positions.

Shaw
Power slider
Power slider

Postby Shaw » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:24 pm

Possibly, but the guy's also gone through 5 pairs of KSJ/Trix and that's the main functional difference he mentioned between the two skates.

Return to “Technique, Tips and Equipment”